De: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] En nombre de Bill via groups.io
Enviado el: jueves, 9 de abril de 2020 19:49
Para: TekScopes@groups.io
Asunto: [TekScopes] Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diodes

Has anyone found a Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diode suitable to replace Tektronix 152-0125-00?
Bill

Bill

Have you used them to replace the 152-0125-00?Bill On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 12:59:26 PM CDT, Miguel Work <harrimansat@...> wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GI304A-1I304A-USSR-Military-Ge-Fast-Switching-Tunnel-Diode-Lot-of-4-pcs/183773789691?hash=item2ac9c57dfb:g:aD0AAOSw5YlcFkpLv

Has anyone found a Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diode suitable to replace Tektronix 152-0125-00?
Bill

Paul Amaranth

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 10:48:54AM -0700, Bill via groups.io wrote:
Has anyone found a Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diode suitable to replace Tektronix 152-0125-00?
Bill

!DSPAM:5e8f600e144771326612432!
paul@... | Unix & Windows

Mlynch001

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

Why buy Russian when you can get the real Tek diodes?
paul@... | Unix & Windows
Paul,

My thoughts exactly. Use original parts whenever possible. These particular tunnel dodes are not unobtainable.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

Don't know for sure if mine is bad so whanted a lower cost one to test with.Bill

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 01:24:02 PM CDT, Mlynch001 <@mlynch001> wrote:

On Thu, Apr  9, 2020 at 01:18 PM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

Why buy Russian when you can get the real Tek diodes?
Paul Amaranth, GCIH            | Manchester MI, USA
Aurora Group of Michigan, LLC  |  Security, Systems & Software
paul@...              |  Unix & Windows
Paul,

My thoughts exactly.  Use original parts whenever possible.  These particular tunnel dodes are not unobtainable.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Miguel Work

With few components is easy to test a tunnel diode, and destroy it :)

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Bill wrote:

Don't know for sure if mine is bad so whanted a lower cost one to test
with.Bill
Bill,

There are 2 diodes in the "B" sweep section. I suggest to swap them between the sections.

I recently repaired a 465 (Late Serial number) that did not trigger the "B" sweep. I first suspected that there might be a bad tunnel diode, so I swapped them between the "A" and "B" sweep generator sections, with negative results. I found the Q550 and Q552 (Schematic #5) very "weak", testing them in the curve tracer, I found that the beta was very low, in the single digits. . I found and replaced those two transistors and the "B" sweep returned to normal.

Fortunately you can swap between the two sections on many parts of the instrument as a positive test of components.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

They are soldered in so didn't want to take a chance on destroying them.
Wish they were in sockets like the transistors.
Bill

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 01:58 PM, Bill wrote:

They are soldered in so didn't want to take a chance on destroying them.
Wish they were in sockets like the transistors.
Bill
Bill,

I was surprised, mine were actually socketed with the same individual pin sockets that you see elsewhere on various TEK units. I figured that they would be soldered, but when I reached down and gave one a tug, it came out, much to my surprise.

I have unsoldered these with success. Low heat and short dwell times are the plan. I have also used a small set of hemostats (gently clamped) to reduce thermal conduction from the leads to the body of the diode.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001

Bill,

I do have a "parts" board that has soldered in tunnel diodes as well. You might find someone close by that has a 576 or 577 curve trace that could do a test on your original diodes. That person needs to be familiar with testing these things, even on those instruments, as a "good" diode can be instantly destroyed using incorrect control panel settings on the instrument.

Good luck

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

The diodes me be ok.  Found a weird problem just now while checking voltages.  The DC voltages at the A Sweep Board are all super low, i.e. +75vdc is at about 6vdc.  The other two -12 and +12 are about .6vdc.  B Sweep Board voltages are ok so I know it's not the power supply.Pichttps://imgur.com/fFo2tl7

Always a surprise with this old gal!!
Bill

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:18:03 PM CDT, Mlynch001 <@mlynch001> wrote:

Bill,

I do have a "parts" board that has soldered in tunnel diodes as well. You might find someone close by that has a 576 or 577 curve trace that could do a test on your original diodes.  That person needs to be familiar with testing these things, even on those instruments, as a "good" diode can be instantly destroyed using incorrect control panel settings on the instrument.

Good luck

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

No one around here that I know of.  I'm in Claremore, Ok.
Until I find out what is going on with the voltages on A Sweep board I am dead in the water.  Checked everything and can't find out where the voltages are being lost.
Bill

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:49:02 PM CDT, Bill via groups.io <ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Well, I am next state over in Arkansas. I have been to Claremore several times. My wife and I bought a car from an individual there. We also like the Firearms Museum as well. Scanning back through the posts, I do not see where you mentioned what you are working on. I assumed a 465, but you know what assume gets a person? The voltages on the board that you mention do not line up with those of a 465 Late A&B Trigger Board,, so it must be some other instrument?

Thanks!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

It's a 453.  All the voltage checks on the Low Voltage Regulator board are ok.  I'm stumped now.   Darn thing was working fine a few days ago.  Now there is no trigger on A or B channels.  Do have a trace.  "A" Trigger light is not on either but flashes if I move the switch back and forth fast.
All my folks come from in and around Ft. Smith.  I was born across the river in Spiro, Ok.  My Dad was born and raised in Boonville, Arkansas.

Bill On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 03:38:11 PM CDT, Mlynch001 <@mlynch001> wrote:

Bill,

Well, I am next state over in Arkansas.  I have been to Claremore several times.  My wife and I bought a car from an individual there.  We also like the Firearms Museum as well.  Scanning back through the posts, I do not see where you mentioned what you are working on.  I assumed a 465, but you know what assume gets a person?  The voltages on the board that you mention do not line up with those of a 465 Late A&B Trigger Board,, so it must be some other instrument?

Thanks!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001

Small world. My wife is from Ozark and still works as an operator at the Fitzhugh Generating Station there.

I do not have a 453 and not much experience with one. Sounds like a bad ground connection? If it is not loading the supply down, then it might be on the common or ground side? I left some screws off a board on a 465one time, which turned out to be the chassis ground connection, the voltages went nutty but the supply was not overloaded or forced into protection.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bill

The scope has not had the covers off until it quit working.  I'm confused now to say the least.
Oh well something to do while in lockdown!!
Bill