RSA3308A Update

Bruce Lane

In case anyone's interested in following along with my inspection and
preventive repair effort...

Thanks to some advice by nj902, I've done a close inspection of the
electrolytic caps in the under-chassis PSU's and the single-board
computer/CPU board. While I found several 'ventilated' caps on the CPU,
none of the ones in the power supplies seem to have the least bit of
bulge or discoloration on them. I plan to leave them alone at this time.

I have successfully imaged the hard drive, both as a raw binary image
and simply copying the files (it's windows-readable, since it's
basically an XP install) to a spare folder.

Once I get the caps in the existing CPU board replaced, I plan to
experiment with a slightly more up-to-date SBC as well as changing out
the hard drive for something larger, just to make sure it can be done. I
may also try using a SSD.

My biggest obstacle in this area appears to be a custom (Tek-made)
video driver board I found plugged into a socket on the SBC. It appears
to take VGA display signals from the SBC, and convert them to drive the
LCD panel directly. I also need to look at the BIOS and see if Tek did
any customizations to it.

nj902 -- Could I trouble you to, when you have a minute, take a look at
the CPU board in your unit and tell me what the make/model is? Also, do
you know if Tek even tried to run these units on Win7, or strictly XP?

Poking and prodding since the 80's....

--
---
Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR

nj902

I am sorry I won't be able to disassemble my unit to inspect the CPU.

I don't believe there was any obvious difference in appearance between the board in the machine and the drawings in the service manual.

The machine is running on an SSD. Finding a new one of the right size with a parallel interface was easier back when I got my instrument.

There is one on ebay now.

eBay item number:
203101179448

Bruce Lane

No worries. I've since located the manufacturer of the board, and got a
user manual. As for the SSD, I have some already. It'll be cheaper to do
a PATA/SATA adapter than go for an actual PATA SSD.

Thanks.