Topics

Replacing Power LED/light on TEK 2465BCT

oakley@...
 

I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not working. Is this part easy to replace?

I'm an EE and none of the internal workings scare me, but I'd probably ignore the indicator light right now if it requires a bunch of work to replace. Thanks!

Tom

Chuck Harris
 

There is no power indicator light.

-Chuck Harris

oakley@... wrote:

I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not working. Is this part easy to replace?

I'm an EE and none of the internal workings scare me, but I'd probably ignore the indicator light right now if it requires a bunch of work to replace. Thanks!

Tom



Dan Rae
 

On 5/24/2019 10:03 PM, oakley@... wrote:
I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not working. Is this part easy to replace?
Tom, there is no Power LED as such.?? And the Hours counter can be set to zero or any number you like as part of the calibration process, so...

Dan

Tony Fleming
 

Mine 2465DMS has no light - it is a switch - when you press it in, a green
internal insert is visible so it looks like a very dim light, but there
isn't any light there - at least on mine.
BUT I don't have your model exactly, so I don't know if changes were made
in yours.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 12:37 AM <oakley@...> wrote:

I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work
perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not
working. Is this part easy to replace?

I'm an EE and none of the internal workings scare me, but I'd probably
ignore the indicator light right now if it requires a bunch of work to
replace. Thanks!

Tom



Ken Winterling
 

I have a 2465DVS which is essentially the same scope.  It, too, has the mechanical green indicator built into the power button.Ken WA2LBI LG G6 ------ Original message------From: Tony FlemingDate: Sat, May 25, 2019 10:42To: TekScopes@groups.io;Cc: Subject:Re: [TekScopes] Replacing Power LED/light on TEK 2465BCTMine 2465DMS has no light - it is a switch - when you press it in, a green
internal insert is visible so it looks like a very dim light, but there
isn't any light there - at least on mine.
BUT I don't have your model exactly, so I don't know if changes were made
in yours.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 12:37 AM wrote:

I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work
perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not
working. Is this part easy to replace?

I'm an EE and none of the internal workings scare me, but I'd probably
ignore the indicator light right now if it requires a bunch of work to
replace. Thanks!

Tom



Chuck Harris
 

For what it is worth, the little green indicator
is mechanically very fidgety and delicate, and
is often broken on the scopes I get for repair

The problem is a very tiny push arm moves the
shutters that hide the green spot, it breaks,
and is too small to glue.

The only way to reliably fix it is to replace it.

-Chuck Harris

Ken Winterling wrote:

I have a 2465DVS which is essentially the same scope. It, too, has the mechanical green indicator built into the power button.Ken WA2LBI LG G6 ------ Original message------From: Tony FlemingDate: Sat, May 25, 2019 10:42To: TekScopes@groups.io;Cc: Subject:Re: [TekScopes] Replacing Power LED/light on TEK 2465BCTMine 2465DMS has no light - it is a switch - when you press it in, a green
internal insert is visible so it looks like a very dim light, but there
isn't any light there - at least on mine.
BUT I don't have your model exactly, so I don't know if changes were made
in yours.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 12:37 AM wrote:

I just acquired a very low-hour 2465BCT. Everything seems to work
perfectly with one exception, it appears that the Power LED/light is not
working. Is this part easy to replace?

I'm an EE and none of the internal workings scare me, but I'd probably
ignore the indicator light right now if it requires a bunch of work to
replace. Thanks!

Tom








satbeginner
 

Chuck Harris
 

I had no idea the part wasn't tektronix made!

Very useful information!

-Chuck Harris

satbeginner wrote:

oakley@...
 

Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally, I glanced at the green "legend" to the right of the ON/OFF mechanical aperture switch and assumed that I was seeing the front of a green LED sitting behind a windowed membrane. Now after looking closer, it's just a colored legend, so the repair or replacement of the green LED just got much easier ;-)

Although my scope appears to be operating quite close to specification, there were no visible calibration stickers on the unit to gauge how long since its last cal. Any recommendations for calibration of my scope (people, place, labs)?

Tom

John Ferguson
 

Where are you?

I ask because Chuck Harris calibrated one of my?? 2445Bs?? as well as re-capping the PS and fixing some other problems.?? I am happy with the result and the cost was fair.

He lives in Maryland.

From South Florida, shipping was $39 each way FedEx ground.?? I was fortunate to still have the box that scope had shipped in from my Ebay source.?? His packing job was well thought out and the box heavy duty. It's now made at least three trips and maybe two more if I decide to have my 2465 calibrated too.

John

On 5/25/19 3:10 PM, oakley@... wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally, I glanced at the green "legend" to the right of the ON/OFF mechanical aperture switch and assumed that I was seeing the front of a green LED sitting behind a windowed membrane. Now after looking closer, it's just a colored legend, so the repair or replacement of the green LED just got much easier ;-)

Although my scope appears to be operating quite close to specification, there were no visible calibration stickers on the unit to gauge how long since its last cal. Any recommendations for calibration of my scope (people, place, labs)?

Tom


Tony Fleming
 

If you like a green LED in the POWER-PUSH-BUTTON, one could put one in, but
it is a lot of work!
Or one could just put a small opening somewhere near by and wire green LED
that is powered from the scope.....

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 2:10 PM <oakley@...> wrote:

Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally, I glanced at the green "legend" to the right of the ON/OFF
mechanical aperture switch and assumed that I was seeing the front of a
green LED sitting behind a windowed membrane. Now after looking closer,
it's just a colored legend, so the repair or replacement of the green LED
just got much easier ;-)

Although my scope appears to be operating quite close to specification,
there were no visible calibration stickers on the unit to gauge how long
since its last cal. Any recommendations for calibration of my scope
(people, place, labs)?

Tom



Alberto I2PHD
 

On 2019-05-25 16:12, Dan Rae via Groups.Io wrote:

And the Hours counter can be set to
zero or any number you like as part of the calibration process, so...
How can I make my 2465B display the hours count ? Are the debug commands of the firmware listed somewhere ?

TNX

--
/*73 Alberto I2PHD*
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>/

Dan Rae
 

On 5/25/2019 2:45 PM, Alberto I2PHD wrote:
On 2019-05-25 16:12, Dan Rae via Groups.Io wrote:

And the Hours counter can be set to
zero or any number you like as part of the calibration process, so...
How can I make my 2465B display the hours count ?
Details for getting that display, too much for me to type out, are in Appendix A of the Operator's Manual.

There's details for setting the hours in the Service manual, but that's about 6 cms thick so I don't want to search.

Are the debug commands of the firmware listed somewhere ?
That's above my pay grade I'm afraid :^)

73 Dan

Alberto I2PHD
 

On 2019-05-26 0:10, Dan Rae via Groups.Io wrote:

Details for getting that display, too much for me to type out, are in
Appendix A of the Operator's Manual.
Thanks. Done that, my 'scope has 4810 hours of power on, and 1160 power cycles.

How do those numbers place my instrument in the average ranking ? Much used ? Not much used ? Average used ?

--
/*73 Alberto I2PHD*
<<< http://www.weaksignals.com >>>/

Siggi
 

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 6:27 PM Alberto I2PHD <@I2PHD> wrote:

Thanks. Done that, my 'scope has 4810 hours of power on, and 1160 power
cycles.

How do those numbers place my instrument in the average ranking ? Much
used ? Not much used ? Average used ?

The hours count is most likely since last calibration, as the calibration
instructions would have you reset it. I figure this was to keep track of
time since cal, more than total operating hours.

John Ferguson
 

Chuck Harris in Maryland re-capped the PS, did some other repairs, and replaced the NVRAM with an FRAM, and calibrated?? one of my 2445b's all for a very reasonable price.?? Shipping from Florida FedEx ground was $39.?? I used the very stout carton it had been shipped to me from the Ebay vendor. IIRC, Foam pads in front of panel and lots of bubble wrap.

john ferguson

On 5/25/19 3:10 PM, oakley@... wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally, I glanced at the green "legend" to the right of the ON/OFF mechanical aperture switch and assumed that I was seeing the front of a green LED sitting behind a windowed membrane. Now after looking closer, it's just a colored legend, so the repair or replacement of the green LED just got much easier ;-)

Although my scope appears to be operating quite close to specification, there were no visible calibration stickers on the unit to gauge how long since its last cal. Any recommendations for calibration of my scope (people, place, labs)?

Tom


John Ferguson
 

disregard the "??" on the earlier note. this seesm to be something that thunderbird is doing to me.

Chuck really did calibrate it and it runs very nicely now.

On 5/25/19 7:53 PM, John Ferguson via Groups.Io wrote:
Chuck Harris in Maryland re-capped the PS, did some other repairs, and replaced the NVRAM with an FRAM, and calibrated?? one of my 2445b's all for a very reasonable price.?? Shipping from Florida FedEx ground was $39.?? I used the very stout carton it had been shipped to me from the Ebay vendor. IIRC, Foam pads in front of panel and lots of bubble wrap.

john ferguson


On 5/25/19 3:10 PM, oakley@... wrote:
Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally, I glanced at the green "legend" to the right of the ON/OFF mechanical aperture switch and assumed that I was seeing the front of a green LED sitting behind a windowed membrane. Now after looking closer, it's just a colored legend, so the repair or replacement of the green LED just got much easier ;-)

Although my scope appears to be operating quite close to specification, there were no visible calibration stickers on the unit to gauge how long since its last cal. Any recommendations for calibration of my scope (people, place, labs)?

Tom