Repairing broken pots

On 14. Mar 2021, at 06:40, Martin <musaeum@arcor.de> wrote:
...so what I have here is not "Bourns" but "Allen/Bradley"...
I'm wrong, it is a Bourns pot. Found it out after a thorough research (= reading the back of the pot).

Looking after more information about these pots I came across Bourn's Potentiometer Handbook.
Interesting, many nice pictures, came close to what I was looking for - but only close

https://www.bourns.com/docs/technical-documents/technical-library/corporate/OnlinePotentiometerHandbook.pdf?sfvrsn=182b1126_4

cheers
Martin

rick

in my Tek products, admitedly from the 1970s and 1980s, the modular pots in them are made by Allen Bradley.

I believe that Bourns had their own, competitive, line of modular pots. Yes, they were Bourns Blue.

Many years later, Allen Bradley sold the Mod-Pot product line to Clarostat, IIRC.

--rick

rick

I found the manual for my allen-bradley series 70 mod pots instant prototypes. It's been scanned and I'll upload it to the files section here.

In the process, I also found an ordering guide for the Bourns 80-series modular pots. It's also been scanned and I'll upload it here as well.

--rick

Jim Adney

I recently went thru hell fixing a 4-module Allen-Bradley mod pot in an HP counter. I ended up repairing some fractured plastic with epoxy and moto-tooling it to final shape. It took me weeks to get a workable unit again. In the meantime, I tracked down the current owner of the Allen-Bradley mod pot line, but they weren't interested in selling me just the pushbutton momentary switch module I needed. They made it clear that whatever I needed would have to be replaced in whole and would cost an arm and a leg.

The Allen-Bradley mod pots are black, and I understand that the Bourns are blue.

So, did Bourns duplicate the Allen-Bradley line, so that this might be a second source for those pots?

Jim Adney

The current owner of the Allen-Bradley mod pot line is State Electronics in East Hanover, NJ. I found their design guide pdf file to the mod pot line and just uploaded it to the files section.

Paul Amaranth

Pricing info would be interesting. They say no minimum order and 2 week lead time on custom assemblies.