Remove Face Plate from 7000-series Plug-in

I'm trying to replace the BW switches in a 7A13 plug-in, but I can't figure out how to remove the metal face plate so I can get to the screw that secures the switch assembly. I have removed all but one of the knobs and other front fixtures (e.g. the grounding terminal), and I see that there appear to be "pry points" that fit a flat head screwdriver, but the face plate does not obviously budge with the application of gentle prying (and I don't want to apply more than gentle force for fear of damaging anything). Does anybody know how you remove the faceplate from a 7000-series plug-in?

-- Jeff Dutky

Stephen

Remove alll the knobs and nuts. Use the pry points, and be gentle. That is the way. The only way. Done it many times.

I never use a screwdriver for prying things open if I can avoid it. I far prefer using a blunt breakfast knife. In fact, I have a solid bronze one of far-eastern provenance reserved for this.

Raymond

stevenhorii

I have also used one of those plastic scrapers sold for scraping stuck-on
food residue from pots and pans. Being plastic, it won’t scratch the metal
and most of them have a sharp enough edge to get in under those “fastening”
points.

I also find it helps avoid bending of the face plate by prying each of the
fastening tabs (or whatever you call them) a bit at a time rather than
going after just one and trying to pry it enough to release the others.

Steve H.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 08:04 Raymond Domp Frank <hewpatek@gmail.com> wrote:

I never use a screwdriver for prying things open if I can avoid it. I far
prefer using a blunt breakfast knife. In fact, I have a solid bronze one of
far-eastern provenance reserved for this.

Raymond

Okay, I think that part of my problem is that I didn't remove every fitting that actually needed to be removed. I'm specifically having trouble with the POSITION/Vc REF-IDENT knob/switch. Loosening the knob's set screw released the knob from its shaft, but it is still trapped by the Vc REF-IDENT pushbutton, which I can't seem to remove. Again, maybe I'm just not applying enough (or the proper) force, but I am hesitant to break anything. Does anybody know what the trick is to removing the Vc REF-IDENT pushbutton?

It also appears that I need to completely remove the Vc OUT connector, which requires solder work (that's not stopping me, but I'd hoped that I didn't have to do that much work just to get the face plate off).

-- Jeff Dutky

Stephen

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 08:41 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

Okay, I think that part of my problem is that I didn't remove every fitting
that actually needed to be removed. I'm specifically having trouble with the
POSITION/Vc REF-IDENT knob/switch. Loosening the knob's set screw released the
knob from its shaft, but it is still trapped by the Vc REF-IDENT pushbutton,
which I can't seem to remove. Again, maybe I'm just not applying enough (or
the proper) force, but I am hesitant to break anything. Does anybody know what
the trick is to removing the Vc REF-IDENT pushbutton?

-- Jeff Dutky
First of all, never use too much force. That push button is just pressed in, nothing else. It should come out quite easily. If it doesn’t, don’t force it out. Instead, gently pry the know out, 1/10 of a mm at a time. It will eventually take the button out with it on its way. You could also use a plastic pair of pliers, not to damage the button, and very gently pull it off its shaft. And you can use some all-in-one oil too.
No matter what you do, don’t force it.

Hope that helps.

Stephen,

Thanks! Lifting the knob beneath the pushbutton did the trick, and with no particular use of force needed. I think that trying to remove the pushbutton directly with compressing in on the shaft and making it much harder to remove than it would otherwise be (I was doing the customary thing with pushbuttons: cover the button in a rag, and pull with pliers, but the IDENT pushbutton is much smaller than the square pushbuttons on 400-series portable scopes that I normally use that technique on, so I think it was deforming under the applied pressure).

With that button/knob pair removed the lower retention tabs of the face plate came free on the first try, again requiring no particular use of force. Now I just need to unsolder the Vc output connector and the whole face plate should be released.

-- Jeff Dutky

Stephen

Happy I could of help.

Regards,