Topics

Remove adhesive from old Tek aluminium cabinet covers

Jean-Paul

Bonjour,

I Am Restoring 1960-1970s Tek equipment with blue aluminum cabinet covers, stored for decades with wide tape, which left yellow adhesive over wide areas.

So, isopropyl alcohol 70%...does not remove the adhesive well. It spreads it around and needs a lot of force.
And petroleum distilates like "Goo Gone" work but affect the blue finish.

What are the best solvents to remove old dried adhesive without damaging the blue finish?

Many thanks

Jon

Ken, WA2LBI

Jon,

I've used WD-40 for removing tape residue and goo left from "melting"
plastic feet. Try it on an inconspicuous area (cabinet bottom) first. I
can't recall it damaging any equipment but I do check each item before
working on a visible area.

Ken
WA2LBI

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 5:31 AM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Bonjour,

I Am Restoring 1960-1970s Tek equipment with blue aluminum cabinet
covers, stored for decades with wide tape, which left yellow adhesive over
wide areas.

So, isopropyl alcohol 70%...does not remove the adhesive well. It spreads
it around and needs a lot of force.
And petroleum distilates like "Goo Gone" work but affect the blue finish.

What are the best solvents to remove old dried adhesive without damaging
the blue finish?

Many thanks

Jon

Colin Herbert

Maplin sold a Label Remover which was quite effective and contained limonene, so it had a quite pleasant lemony smell. I have also used ethyl acetate to remove self-adhesive labels and dried-on glue. You must, I assume, have tried good old warm, soapy water and elbow grease?
Colin.