Topics

Remote CSA803 / HP1180x programming (yet again)

Leo Bodnar

Has anybody produced anything interesting recently for CSA803 / 1180x series that allows remote comms? Apart from screen shot capture and printing.
The talks about these instruments spring up now and then only to die again.

Here is what I have cooked up quickly to avoid facing its excruciating UI. As you can see - I don't know python (and not willing to learn it.)

http://www.leobodnar.com/pulser/

I have used Prologix for this so "++.." commands are GPIB adapter configuration. If you are old enough - think modems Hayes AT commands.

CSA803 is the instrument I love to hate. There is nothing right with it apart from its raw functionality and market abundance.
I'd like to write more code to get nicer looking charts but I have run out of patience.

Cheers
Leo

Roy Morgan

Leo,

I do remember Hays modem commands, though only dimly.

I wonder if "AT" stands for "Attention, Terminal ! ".

On a related bit of lore: while I worked at NIST, I used a bit of SQL and learned that the letters originally stood for Structured Query Language but that later the official name of the standard was changed to "Database Language SQL", with no meaning for the letters.

Among my coworkers were the folks who organized and chaired the international committees that wrote the standards. (One fellow had chaired the committee that developed RS-232.)

IBM used to mean "International Business Machines" didn't it?

And so we "Graybeards" mumble off into the mists of time. ... ...

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Jan 17, 2020, at 4:31 AM, Leo Bodnar <leo@...> wrote:
If you are old enough - think modems Hayes AT commands.

Don Bitters

Ah yes, an impressive o-scope, that I too loved to hate.  With the right plugins it would do 20+ GHz.  My experience with them was to calibrate them - manually! for HP/Agilent.  IBM had a ton of them on their optical amp production lines.  Nobody at Tek or HP ever automated the cal procedure.  I have cal'd about 50 of the CS803's and 1180x's with the SD22 and SD24 plugins, the plugins have plugins!!!.  Through a lot of diligence and practice I could get the cal procedure down to 3.5 hrs on the mainframe and 5.5 hrs. on the plugins with full data taken.  I think the data stack for 12 ea. 11803's with plugins with 3 slots occupied with 2ea. SD24's/ plugin was over 10 in. tall. That was over a week of calibration alone at 10+ hr. days, definitely not fun.I have never heard of anyone automating the cal on these, probably too much programming effort.IBM did run them full automation on their production lines for their testing.Don Bitters

Leo Bodnar

What I really like about RS-232 is that RS stands for "Recommended Standard"!
Leo

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:
Among my coworkers were the folks who organized and chaired the international committees that wrote the standards. (One fellow had chaired the committee that developed RS-232.)

GerryR

It must have been "Recommended Standard," because I had (have somewhere?) a book that had 132 or so versions of the RS-232 "standard" interface. That's a lot of versions of a so-called standard!
GerryR
KK4GER

What I really like about RS-232 is that RS stands for "Recommended Standard"!
Leo
On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:
Among my coworkers were the folks who organized and chaired the international committees that wrote the standards. (One fellow had chaired the committee that developed RS-232.)

Jim Ford

Somebody once said it stood for "I've Been Moved".My own employer, Raytheon, stands for "Reorganize All Year Then Hope Everything Operates Normally"!Jim Ford (Yes, I know what Ford stands for; I can think of at least 4 things)Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Roy Morgan <k1lky68@...> Date: 1/17/20 2:59 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Remote CSA803 / HP1180x programming (yet again) Leo,I do remember Hays modem commands, though only dimly. I wonder if "AT" stands for "Attention, Terminal ! ". On a related bit of lore: while I  worked at NIST, I used a bit of SQL and learned that the letters originally stood for Structured Query Language but that later the official name of the standard was changed to "Database Language SQL", with no meaning for the letters.  Among my coworkers were the folks who organized and chaired the international committees that wrote the standards. (One fellow had chaired the committee that developed RS-232.)IBM used to mean "International Business Machines" didn't it?And so we "Graybeards" mumble off into the mists of time. ... ...Roy MorganK1LKY Western Mass> On Jan 17, 2020, at 4:31 AM, Leo Bodnar <leo@...> wrote:...> If you are old enough - think modems Hayes AT commands.> ...