Topics

recommended ESR meters these days

Reginald Beardsley

I have the Peak Atlas ESR70 and a BSIDE ESR02 Pro. Both give comparable results in my testing.

Atlas 233.4 uF 0.26 ohms
BSIDE 228.7 uF 0.31 ohms

I'd expect that my 4284A and 4285A would give slightly different numbers. But I really have no way of telling which is more accurate. I'd expect the HP kit, but I don't actually have a known standard so it would be purely brand reputation as nothing is in cal. I do know that they all agree well enough that for general repair bench use I'm comfortable using the BSIDE or Atlas.

The BSIDE also does general LCR and transistor tests, so for $20 it's worth having as a backup and field day kit use. In fact, for what it does and the price I think not having one is foolish.

Unlike the Peak Atlas, the BSIDE is stout enough to bludgeon someone to death without damage to the meter. It also has a table of typical ESR values for various values and voltage ratings on the back.

Jason A.

From the "For what it's worth" category, W2AEW has a nice video on how to run tests with an oscilloscope and details on construction of a test jig as well as a relaxation oscillator circuit in case you don't have a function generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74fz9iwZ_sM

Not generally as accurate as something like the DE-5000. I have one of those and really like it with the caveat it doesn't work that well for inductance/stray capacitance in transformers, but in fairness that's a bit outside the scope of what it was designed for. I also wish it had a better leakage test. I've thought of giving Mr. Carlson's Patreon some money to get the plans for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhovRIM5xAo

Dave Daniel

Dave,

Thanks.

Th reason I asked is that I have an AADE that failed about eighteen months ago. I really liked it.

My "research" since then is pointing me to a Peak.But I still want to repair the AADE.

73,

DaveD

On 3/12/2020 8:47 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:
David

The one that died was a DE5000 ...8^(

Dave

On 3/12/2020 6:00 PM, David Holland wrote:
The DER DE-5000 appears to be still available:

https://www.amazon.com/5000-Handheld-LCR-Meter-accessories/dp/B00S298KJO

Mine isn't recent purchase (2017) but as far as I know, they're some of the
better LCR (and by proxy ESR) meters...

David

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:57 PM ArtekManuals <manuals@...>
wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...

amirb

Dave
people have suggested a lot of capacitance/ESR meters but may I ask why dont you try to fix the DER DE-5000 that suddenly died?
it could be an easy fix really. DE-5000 is one of the best handheld tools and so far it is the best that has been suggested by people here (except the bench top ones)

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 05:57 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Jean-Paul

Bonjour, ESR is a function of the frequency testing and to some extent the current When . In circuit checking old capacitors for failure, the very low capacitance is another clew, so exact ESR test is not often required.
For a modern Chinese cheapo, the Tenma 72-8155 is small but unsure the ESR capability

For better accuracy and frequency up to 300 kHz we use these vintage LCR meters.
HP 4332A
Wayne Kerr 3245
GenRad 1689

Jean-Paul

Bob Albert

My GR 1658 measures ESR at either of two frequencies.  It's a great bridge for most LCR measurements as well.
Bob
P.S. The nanoVNA does it too but is limited to high frequencies.

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, 06:26:07 PM PDT, John Crighton <john.crighton@...> wrote:

Hello Dave,

while you are looking for an ESR meter, why don't you knock up
a simple home made device, dead bug construction, say a 555
driving a transistor stage with a 10 ohm emitter resistor.
Arrange for 0.4V pp across the 10 ohm resistor.

A couple of leads from your 10 ohm resistor to the Capacitor Under Test.
Monitor the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor with your oscilloscope.

From your junk box use some resistors, say 1 ohm, 2 ohm, 4.7ohm etc to
go across your 10 ohm signal source to "calibrate"  your oscilloscope
reading.

This man here on you tube uses a 50 ohm signal source and his oscilloscope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115erzCCxgE

Here is the same man on youtube explaining his ESR meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYAgat-sOQ

Build the oscillator section with the 10 ohm output resistor.
Use your oscilloscope as the man descibes in the first video.
This is quick and inexpensive for hobbyists on a budget.
If it takes more than 2 hours to assemble this you are slacking off.

If you are looking for something flash then buy a ready made one.

Regards,
John Crighton (hobbyist)
Sydney

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it eyes
had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it.. Anyone
bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

---
https://www.avg.com

John Crighton

Hello Dave,

while you are looking for an ESR meter, why don't you knock up
a simple home made device, dead bug construction, say a 555
driving a transistor stage with a 10 ohm emitter resistor.
Arrange for 0.4V pp across the 10 ohm resistor.

A couple of leads from your 10 ohm resistor to the Capacitor Under Test.
Monitor the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor with your oscilloscope.

From your junk box use some resistors, say 1 ohm, 2 ohm, 4.7ohm etc to
[...]

tgerbic

Good point Dave, sounds kind of time critical. I have a different situation where I occasionally look through my equipment and build things in my spare time I believe will make my life easier. When I need them they are there.

Regards

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

There was at time I would agree with you but right now I have 2 dozen (fix-it) projects that will be more fun than building an ESR meter  kit thanks though

Dave

On 3/12/2020 8:54 PM, tgerbic wrote:
Folks,
ESR meters (AC low ohm meter) are very easy to build and there are several good schematics on the web. I built one from parts around my lab in 2007, and have not had a need to fix or replace it. It has two ranges 0-10 ohms and 0 to 30 ohms and measures accurately down to .05 ohms at the lower resistance third of the scales. It uses an analog meter and fits in a 2" X 2" by 4" metal box. I created the meter face in powerpoint (before I got familiar with the "Meter" program). Ended up pretty close to zero cost. I based mine off the IZ7ATH style circuit ( https://www.qsl.net/iz7ath/web/02_brew/15_lab/06_esr/index.htm ) but there are many versions to choose from. If concerned about ESR, a 0 to 5 ohm range with around 0.05 ohm accuracy at the 0 to 1 ohm range (.5 ohm above that) is generally all that is necessary.

In 2004 I built a low ohms meter (DC ohmmeter) which goes well with the ESR meter and uses home make kelvin clips. It has ranges of .2 ohms, 2 ohms and 20 ohms. It has resolution to .0025 ohms on the lowest scale and very accurate to this resolution compared to my calibrated HP 3456A in 4 wire mode.

While there are many AC and DC low ohms meters on the market, buying one is not as much fun as building one and a built one could easily be fixed if it ever fails. In my case I already have several good LCR meters from HP and B&K so another one just to get ESR would be overkill.

Regards

--
Dave
Manuals@...

tgerbic

[...]

Magnus

Only goes down to 1uf ...deal breaker

Dave

On 3/12/2020 6:02 PM, magnustoelle via Groups.Io wrote:
Good Day Dave,
I am using this one from Peak Elektronic Design in the UK for several years now. Very reliable, small, easy to use and it discharges caps safely also:
https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Cheers,
Magnus

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?

Dave
manuals@...
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

I bought an MESR-100 V2 off that auction
site. Works well for me.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 5:41 PM ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

Ancel

The item description does list the L and C ranges and does not
specifically indicate it is an ESR meter ???
Dave

On 3/12/2020 7:56 PM, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io wrote:
I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

--
Dave
Manuals@...

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

That should say DOESNT list the L and C ranges ???

On 3/12/2020 8:41 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:
[...]

My GR1658 bridge reads ESR at either of two frequencies.

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, 04:56:42 PM PDT, mosaicmerc via Groups.Io <mosaicmerc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have used this for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Semoic-Rechargeable-Resistance-Voltmeter-Impedance/dp/B07R5LSM8N/ref=sr_1_3

Ancel

mosaicmerc

Greg Muir

The Peak products are all very good. I made up a field kit containing several Peak meters of various flavors. They are not quite lab grade but are very close to comparing with regards to accuracy. And they are simple to operate.

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/esr70-capacitor-esr-meter.html

Greg

Ken Eckert

Personally I like the Sencore LC-77, LC102 or LC103. Very little difference
between a LC-77 and a LC-102