Topics

recommended ESR meters these days

Hi ArtecManuals,

For the price of the BSIDE ESR tester you can buy a nice modern DDS function generator, frequency meter....
and apply my ONE RESISTOR ESR test method, at the frequency you want, with the waveform you want, sine, triangular, square, ha ha
One does not need to measure ESR every day.... maybe not even every month...,
and a signal generator + oscilloscope is all it takes.
The signal applied to the capacitor does not even need to have a DC offset.
Electrolytic capacitors, although polarized, are NOT schottky diodes. They can take a few millivolts of reverse voltage without losing their capacitance.

Enjoy,
Ernesto

Tony Fleming

Thanks for your information. I'm not an engineer in electronics, but I do what I can, including buying meters that I use. I do have couple scopes, but I usually just pull out my meter for the job at hand..... By same tocan I'm interested in learning electronics, after 50+ years of hiatus so it is little harder to learn than when I was young.
If you have a place where I can learn stuff like you've mentioned, I'm all ears.
Have a great weekend.

Abc Xyz

One Member here said he built the one Mr. Carlson from YouTube Designed and
likes it.

On 2020-03-12, at 22:57, ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?

For something completely different, try a tweezer form factor.
(With a couple of good alligator clip leads, this is useful for many
larger components, too.)

I like the MS8911 from Mastech, about €40 shipped.
Can do 100 Hz to 10 kHz (no 100 kHz, though).
Particularly useful in 0.1 Vrms mode: this allows some in-circuit
measurements other instruments can’t do.

Don’t confuse this with the cheaper MS8910, which is decidedly meh.
(If you want something simple at the MS8910 price point, try the $18
HoldPeak HP990C a.k.a. HP-4070C. Really handy for component testing,
including diodes and zeners up to 24 V, and the occasional loaded [lo-Z]
voltage measurement.
None of these $20 instruments do ESR, IIRC.)

The MS8911 is not a replacement for my DE-5000, but really handy — my goto
LCR meter.
(There are other tweezers at $200+, no idea what I would use those for.)

[1] looks at the MS8911. He also likes the full-size MS5308; I don’t have
experience with that.

The $5 (+ battery) transistor tester thingies (e.g., LCR-T4) are
surprisingly useful, too, by the way. The $18 LCR-TC1 with its nice case,
rechargeable battery (and an IR remote control tester thrown in for good
measure) is another one of my goto “instruments”, mostly for
semiconductors, but it can do a capacitor as well.

Add a HP 4329A (or Keithley 616) for leakage testing, and you have some
pretty good diagnostic capability.

Now if anyone knows a meter that can characterize SRAM backup super
capacitors (say, 0.22 F, 50 kΩ ESR (!)), I’m all ears...

Grüße, Carsten

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XTelPZnfA

LOL! You people have to spend one hundred dollars in gadgets like the DE-5000 to measure ESR?

As a professional electrical engineer with large experience in the design and development of complex electronic hardware and firmware, I enjoy the use of my ONE RESISTOR ESR meter (see my previous post).

I measured (for fun) in 10 minutes the ESR of about 10 electrolytic capacitors mounted on a dual preamplifier board that is over 40 years old.

- I clipped the ground of the oscilloscope X1 probe on the negative of the electrolytic, and the probe on its positive.
- I clipped to the ONE RESISTOR of 1000 ohm a 10V positive 100Khz signal from my function generator (with the same ground as the oscilloscope), and touched with the other lead of the resistor the positive of the capacitor under test. The resistor became in fact a current source.
- I observed on the oscilloscope, set to 10 mV/div, the 100Khz signal in the equivalent scale of 1 ohm ESR per division. I found some good capacitors and many bad ones! (its amazing how well an amplifier can work even with some "bad" electrolytics...)

It could not be easier!

Ernesto

ArtekManuals

Reg
Interesting instrument...

I assume you have one of these?

It was not obvious from looking at the specs or the user manual that the frequency of ESR measurements is programmable ???

 At what frequency are ESR measurements done

I did see that it only does ESR measurement on 2uf Caps and larger which is kind of a negative
Dave
NR1DX

On 3/14/2020 9:13 AM, Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes, The BSIDE is the Arduino tester in a *very* solid case. I can't understand why someone would buy the bare PCB versions instead of a BSIDE.

Reg

--
Dave
Manuals@...

Tony Fleming

Have you tried DE5000? If yes, can you compare it to any of your favorit
LCR meter?
Thanks and have a great weekend my friend.
Tony

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 8:13 AM Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io <pulaskite=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, The BSIDE is the Arduino tester in a *very* solid case. I can't
understand why someone would buy the bare PCB versions instead of a BSIDE.

Reg

ebayatessnh

My dad took a TV/Radio repair course in the early 60's. I still have the tube based EICO "magic eye" capacitance/resistance tester, signal generator, and VTVM. Have not fired them up in a while, but they worked last time I did about 10 years ago. He never made any money out of TV repair as a side job, but the workbench he set up started my on the way to a successful career in electrical engineering. His EICO oscilloscope (that was not triggered or calibrated) started me on the path to my current love of the 7603 and 7104 models in my collection now.

Reginald Beardsley

Yes, The BSIDE is the Arduino tester in a *very* solid case. I can't understand why someone would buy the bare PCB versions instead of a BSIDE.

Reg

Michael A. Terrell

I have a LC53 to repair. I picked it up at the Ocala Hamfest for $20.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM JJ <jajustin@...> wrote:

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin

Chris J

Great meters! My go to is this BK Precision 879B which has assisted me in my repairs numerous times and repaid its cost the first time I used it. Very happy. https://www.bkprecision.com/products/component-testers/879B-40000-count-dual-display-handheld-lcr-meter-with-esr.html
Sincerely,
  Chris Juried, WRCB719FCC Licensed RF Coordinator
Audio Engineering Society (AES) Member
InfoComm-Recognized AV Technologist
http://www.JuriedEngineering.com
http://www.TubeEquipment.com
http://www.HistoryOfRecording.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisjuried
Email: CJuried@...
Voice: (954) 478-4355

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me at (954) 478-4355 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 07:56:56 AM EDT, JJ <jajustin@...> wrote:

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin

JJ

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin

mr.fabe

ESR / Capacitor Tester Recommendations (Price - Lowest to Highest)

MESR-100v2 - Lightweight, short short leads, low cost, ESR only. It's cheap and feels cheap.

Anatek Blue ESR Meter (Bob Parker Design) - Popular, kit or pre-built , multiple probe options, no capacitance reading.

Peak Atlas ESR70+ - Shows capacitance and ESR values, discharges caps up to 50V, multiple probe options. Has calibration options but why spend the money.

Capacitor Wizard - Adjustable sensitivity, high cost, no capacitance reading.

DE5000 - Popular favorite portable LCR meter.

Keysight U1731, U1732, U1733C) - Best portable LCR meter at a high price. Can be calibrated.

Sencore LC 75,76,77,101,102,103) - Does ESR and full capacitor and inductor testing. The LC103 does in-circuit testing as well. Can be calibrated.

I have the MESR, ESR70, U1733C, and LC103 models but use the ESR70 and U1733C mainly. The ESR70 is small unit that’s easy to use in-circuit and out of circuit. Slap on a set of needle probes and it performs wonderfully. Very handy having a capacitance reading in addition to the ESR when checking caps.

Check the reviews / demos on YT for all the features testing and use of the models above.

Carsten Bormann

On 2020-03-12, at 22:57, ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

[...]

David Holland

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Bert Haskins <bhaskins@...> wrote:

I'm really quite surprised that no one has suggested the Arduino-based
component testers like the LCR-TC1 for this.
I suspect that BSIDE ESR02 Pro Reginald mentioned is one of those. Its
just in a nicer case than the usual ones, and includes a manual method for
discharging.

See
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bside-esr02-pro-transistor-tester-(teardown-quick-test)/

I ordered one off Amazon just today... I guess we'll see when it gets
here...

David

Hi tgerbic,

I am impressed by your attitude of building an instrument yourself with readily available parts and near zero cost. This is the engineering spirit I have cultivated all my life too.

So, inspired by your post, I just built myself an ESR meter WITH ONE RESISTOR.
I was helped in this by my newly repaired 547 oscilloscope with a newly acquired 1A4 tool module, and a FG502 function generator that I had stored away for many years.

I applied on a 1 ohm test resistor a 100 kHz sine wave 10 Vpp offsetted positive from the function generator, through a 1K ohm resistor,
and I was able to observe on the oscilloscope set to 10 mv/div a 10 mVpp signal on the resistor. I could easily resolve this signal to a tenth of a division, or 0.1 ohm.

And so I measured in the same way an ESR of 0.7 ohm on a 470 uF 400 V electrolytic, and 0.1 ohm on a 220 uF 50 V one, both acceptable values.

I haven't tried, but I am confident that I can use my "meter" on any electrolytic cap in situ on a disconnected piece of equipment.

Regards,
Ernesto

Bert Haskins

I'm really quite surprised that no one has suggested the Arduino-based component testers like the LCR-TC1 for this.

I have a desktop ESR meter that I very seldom use since the component tester is battery-powered and more convenient.

I also have a 70+ year old Heath "magic eye" capacitor tester that I use for leakage tests.

I bought this when I was fifteen for use in repairing guitar amps.

It is still quit useful today.

-- Bert

ArtekManuals

I may yet buy another DE5000 (or 6000) but I am wary since the last one which saw very little actual "on time" died sitting in the cabinet after less than 5 years.."Fool me once....yadda yadda yadda"

Dave
manuals@...

On 3/13/2020 12:24 PM, G Hopper wrote:
Dave,

Since this thread has revived my interest in a portable ESR meter (I have a
benchtop one) I'm wondering if there is any reason you'd choose not to
replace the DE-5000 with a new one, or the apparent new model DE-6000?

Grant
KB7WSD

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:16 AM ArtekManuals <manuals@...>
wrote:

I did try probably have over 10 hours invested in that. Given the value
of my time ( which at 73 goes up every day ...supply and demand) easily
twice what a new one will cost... Maybe with a new on in hand I can
compare... I really liked the DE-5000 with the exception that the
display back-lighting which was very hard to read and adjust..Probably
a bad cap in there somewhere ( wink)

Dave
NR1DX`

On 3/13/2020 7:07 AM, amirb wrote:
Dave
people have suggested a lot of capacitance/ESR meters but may I ask why
dont you try to fix the DER DE-5000 that suddenly died?
it could be an easy fix really. DE-5000 is one of the best handheld
tools and so far it is the best that has been suggested by people here
(except the bench top ones)

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 05:57 PM, ArtekManuals wrote:

Took out my (apparently not so) trusty ESR meter the other day and it
eyes had rolled back in its head and no amount of CPR would revive it..
Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away
from?
Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

G Hopper

wrote:

[...]

PAUL KOBY

I have an ESI (tegam) 252 and 253 which have been great meters. Picked them off the bay cheap.
Tegam bought ESI. I paid less than $100.00 for each. I had to manufacture a set of cables for one.
I just used some Kelvin leads from China and a junk box connector. The OEM test leads are still
available but over $250.00.
https://www.tegam.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/252_253_909-01_RevC.pdf

Pauk Kobyka5obi