Topics

recommended ESR meters these days

John Crighton

Hello Dave,

while you are looking for an ESR meter, why don't you knock up
a simple home made device, dead bug construction, say a 555
driving a transistor stage with a 10 ohm emitter resistor.
Arrange for 0.4V pp across the 10 ohm resistor.

A couple of leads from your 10 ohm resistor to the Capacitor Under Test.
Monitor the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor with your oscilloscope.

From your junk box use some resistors, say 1 ohm, 2 ohm, 4.7ohm etc to
go across your 10 ohm signal source to "calibrate" your oscilloscope reading.

This man here on you tube uses a 50 ohm signal source and his oscilloscope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=115erzCCxgE

Here is the same man on youtube explaining his ESR meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYAgat-sOQ

Build the oscillator section with the 10 ohm output resistor.
Use your oscilloscope as the man descibes in the first video.
This is quick and inexpensive for hobbyists on a budget.
If it takes more than 2 hours to assemble this you are slacking off.

If you are looking for something flash then buy a ready made one.

Regards,
John Crighton (hobbyist)
Sydney

On 2020-03-12, at 22:57, ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

Anyone bought one _*RECENTLY *_that they can recommend or warn me away from?
For something completely different, try a tweezer form factor.
(With a couple of good alligator clip leads, this is useful for many larger components, too.)

I like the MS8911 from Mastech, about €40 shipped.
Can do 100 Hz to 10 kHz (no 100 kHz, though).
Particularly useful in 0.1 Vrms mode: this allows some in-circuit measurements other instruments can’t do.

Don’t confuse this with the cheaper MS8910, which is decidedly meh.
(If you want something simple at the MS8910 price point, try the $18 HoldPeak HP990C a.k.a. HP-4070C. Really handy for component testing, including diodes and zeners up to 24 V, and the occasional loaded [lo-Z] voltage measurement.
None of these $20 instruments do ESR, IIRC.)

The MS8911 is not a replacement for my DE-5000, but really handy — my goto LCR meter.
(There are other tweezers at $200+, no idea what I would use those for.)

[1] looks at the MS8911. He also likes the full-size MS5308; I don’t have experience with that.

The $5 (+ battery) transistor tester thingies (e.g., LCR-T4) are surprisingly useful, too, by the way. The $18 LCR-TC1 with its nice case, rechargeable battery (and an IR remote control tester thrown in for good measure) is another one of my goto “instruments”, mostly for semiconductors, but it can do a capacitor as well.

Add a HP 4329A (or Keithley 616) for leakage testing, and you have some pretty good diagnostic capability.

Now if anyone knows a meter that can characterize SRAM backup super capacitors (say, 0.22 F, 50 kΩ ESR (!)), I’m all ears...

Grüße, Carsten

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XTelPZnfA

mr.fabe

ESR / Capacitor Tester Recommendations (Price - Lowest to Highest)

MESR-100v2 - Lightweight, short short leads, low cost, ESR only. It's cheap and feels cheap.

Anatek Blue ESR Meter (Bob Parker Design) - Popular, kit or pre-built , multiple probe options, no capacitance reading.

Peak Atlas ESR70+ - Shows capacitance and ESR values, discharges caps up to 50V, multiple probe options. Has calibration options but why spend the money.

Capacitor Wizard - Adjustable sensitivity, high cost, no capacitance reading.

DE5000 - Popular favorite portable LCR meter.

Keysight U1731, U1732, U1733C) - Best portable LCR meter at a high price. Can be calibrated.

Sencore LC 75,76,77,101,102,103) - Does ESR and full capacitor and inductor testing. The LC103 does in-circuit testing as well. Can be calibrated.

I have the MESR, ESR70, U1733C, and LC103 models but use the ESR70 and U1733C mainly. The ESR70 is small unit that’s easy to use in-circuit and out of circuit. Slap on a set of needle probes and it performs wonderfully. Very handy having a capacitance reading in addition to the ESR when checking caps.

Check the reviews / demos on YT for all the features testing and use of the models above.

JJ

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin

Chris J

Great meters! My go to is this BK Precision 879B which has assisted me in my repairs numerous times and repaid its cost the first time I used it. Very happy. https://www.bkprecision.com/products/component-testers/879B-40000-count-dual-display-handheld-lcr-meter-with-esr.html
Sincerely,
  Chris Juried, WRCB719FCC Licensed RF Coordinator
Audio Engineering Society (AES) Member
InfoComm-Recognized AV Technologist
http://www.JuriedEngineering.com
http://www.TubeEquipment.com
http://www.HistoryOfRecording.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisjuried
Email: CJuried@...
Voice: (954) 478-4355

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me at (954) 478-4355 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 07:56:56 AM EDT, JJ <jajustin@...> wrote:

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin

Michael A. Terrell

I have a LC53 to repair. I picked it up at the Ocala Hamfest for $20.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM JJ <jajustin@...> wrote:

I have a Sencore LC-75 - love it!

John Justin