Topics

Questions I have if Attachments are Permitted

I have no personal preference for or against attachments.
I do think it should be a requirement that "Attachments must, above all
else, do no harm."
From what I have learned so far I have a few unanswered questions that must
be resolved before I can make a decision.

These are my first three unanswered questions. I will add a 4th question
after I explain how an email program works.
QUESTION #1: Are the benefits to those who want attachments greater than
drawbacks they impose on everyone else? Read the section below titled "How
Internet Mail Programs Work" first before you answer this question

QUESTION #2: The posts that include attachments will not go through to
TekScopes until the attachments can be opened and checked for size,
relevance, and viruses at a minimum. How long are you willing to wait for
your poat to be checked and accepted? What should be done if your time limit
comes and goes without checking your attachment?

QUESTION #3: Who has the time to check the email with attachments? No one
has offered me an answer so far.

How Internet Mail Programs Work
This is my understanding of how internet mail protocols work to accept a
mail from one member and send it to all our members:
* When you attach a napkin sketch to your email and press send the Simple
Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) takes charge to insure it gets to your
destination.
* The initial destination is a mail server run by Groups.io that maintains
the TekScopes mailbox.
* Groups.io maintains a list of TekScopes' member email addresses, their
delivery preferences, and (if attachments are permitted) their Max
Attachment Size preference.
* For the members who set their delivery preferences to "Individual
Messages" and their "Max Attachment Size" to larger than the attachment,
Groups.io will send the email and the attachment to the mail server the
member's email account is on.
* This will result in the original email and its attachment going to
thousands of email addresses.
* Each of the thousands of member's mail servers will store the message and
the attachment until the next time the member connects to their server to
retrieve all of the email messages and attachments waiting for them.
* When you tell your mail program to download your mail it starts sending
all of it to your PC.
* Think about the last time you received a large attachment in an email. If
you have a very poor or intermittent connection you might have no choice but
to reconnect several times to receive an entire large attachment.
* Recall how long it took to download an entire large attachment to your PC.
That is because all of the data in the attachment is now on your hard disk.
You paid for the data to go from your ISP to your PC. Notice that if you
click on the attachment with your mouse it opens immediately. That is proof
that it is on your hard disk. This is the basis for my next question:

Please read the nine bullet points above before answering this next
question.
QUESTION #4: If almost all TekScopes members have no interest in the napkin
sketch you attached to your message why should they have to download it to
their PC and pay data charges for something they will immediately delete
once they see what the attachment is about.

If you have solutions for my four questions please contact me off list using
this address
dennis at ridesoft dot com
Change the subject to "Solutions" or "Answers".
Please answer all four questions as succinctly as possible.

Dennis Tillman W7pf

Michael W. Lynch

Dennis,

First let me say, I am happy with whatever the Administrator and Owners of this group decide. I will adapt as needed.

I have a serious question about this and since I seem to be quite oblivious, here goes:

QUESTION #4: If almost all TekScopes members have no interest in the napkin
sketch you attached to your message why should they have to download it to
their PC and pay data charges for something they will immediately delete
once they see what the attachment is about.<<

My Question: Who pays data charges in today's world? Comments seem to indicate that many here use "metered" connections, and I simply did not realize that those were that common these days. My ISP is unlimited up and download as far as I know (Yes, I realized that download is MUCH faster than upload speeds). I have not paid data charges in decades. Keep in mind, I live in rural Arkansas, so I am not even close to the "bleeding edge" of the internet or cell coverage. I'm just happy to have relatively "High Speed" internet. This applies to my phone and home ISP. I am just asking so that I can learn. This seems to be a huge issue for many on this forum.

Please advise and educate, as you always seem to be able to do.

I appreciate all that you do and the great benefit of this forum.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Chuck Harris

I can help you with that!

Everyone that lives in the large flyover country
parts of rural US.

Not only do they get their internet over the telephone lines at
typically 56Kbits per second modem rates, they get slow or no
cell service to boot.

And, everyone that relies on tracfone, and its ilk, for their cell
service. That includes a lot of seniors. Their phones cost them
6 or 7 bucks a month, but they get nickle and dimed for each minute.

Broadband exists in all of the big cities, and their suburbs. But
it doesn't exist in the large central regions of the big farm states.

It also doesn't exist in the mountain areas, like parts of WV, CO,
TN, AK... Nor does it exist in large parts of OK, MN, WI, IA, ND,
SD, WY... need I go on?

And, even if your isp doesn't charge you a data rate for its 56K bit/sec
service, a 5.6mbyte picture takes 1000 seconds to be transferred down
your slow pipe.

If that isn't a cost, I don't know what is!

-Chuck Harris

Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Chuck,

Thanks for enlightening me! Like I said, I "assumed" that I lived in about as "flyover" an area as possible. Perhaps I am not as backward here in the hills of Arkansas as I had "assumed"? Thus my perception of the issue being discussed.

Thankfully, I have 20Mb/sec down and 1.2Mb/Sec upload (using a DSL connection) over phone lines, but almost no cell service (due to being located in a valley), so Wi-Fi assist is my go to at home. With my physical location, service provider is irrelevant, no one has "good" cell service in this immediate area. I do not use Trac-phone or other such "budget" providers, they just do not meet my needs, besides, being "nickle and dimed" just forces my blood pressure up.

Please understand, I am not lobbying for or against these attachments, just trying to understand the conversation and the objections of others.

Thanks Again!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Renée

Thanks Chuck -
I pretty much have stayed out of this as I know I am in the minority. I am one of those unknown mentioned, only in rural CA. in fact we have so many choices - one - and their service is inconsistent at best. (ok, read horrible)
 Cell service- we are lucky to have one bar ( just like the town) and that ceases when the weather get bad - rain.  many times one must find the right place to stand to make a call.   tracfone (using verizon no service from any other carriers) is the only option for inexpensive cell service and as Chuck says it is a nickle and dime ( ok a quarter to start) service.
Dial-up is a whopping 42K max when it works. so for emergency phone we rely on the one expensive choice landline.
....oh I forgot I travel to another town and use their library internet (once a week-shopping) or visit a friend down the road who has a sat connection for large files and stuff with lots of graphics. Thunderbird does a great job on limiting the size of emails!

Now the above being said, I will go with whatever the group decides. the info is just too valuable. Even the OT stuff!

Renée

On 5/21/20 8:09 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
[...]

Paul Amaranth

I'm sort of in between. I'm in a rural area but I am close enough to a
cell tower to get an LTE connection. It's not great - 1.5 MB down,
700KB up at best (that's bytes, using bits/sec is just a marketing ploy
to make you think you're getting something) but it beats a dial up
(which I couldn't get anyway). There's no data limit at least, but
that connection runs north of $100/month.

Anyway, I run my own mail server on my local net so reading mail is
fast, everything's been downloaded to the local net. That said, large
email can saturate the connection when they're being downloaded. So if
attachments are allowed, I'll turn on the size limit. Actually, since
I'm lazy, I'll probably not do anything until some doofus hits the list
with a 200MB attachment. The resulting screaming will probably get
my attention :-)

Having spent the last 12 years doing security, I don't use an html
capable email client (active content ==> bad) and mail and attachments
are run through an AV filter, so I'm not very concerned about malware
content.

Bottom line, I don't care much. I was there from day 0 of the internet
(yes, before www was a "thing") and lists were the primary vehicle of
information transfer so I'm fine with the way they work.

Paul

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 08:35:05AM -0700, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
Chuck,

Thanks for enlightening me! Like I said, I "assumed" that I lived in about as "flyover" an area as possible. Perhaps I am not as backward here in the hills of Arkansas as I had "assumed"? Thus my perception of the issue being discussed.
paul@... | Unix/Linux

Michael W. Lynch

Paul,

I am paying $50 a month for whatever the "best" that CENTURYLINK provides with DSL for my area, they Claim 20MB/sec (up) and 1.2MB/Sec (down). I know that these providers are not in business to do us any favors. What I know for certain is that we can stream Netflix, AMAZON or YouTube TV HD content on 2 TVs simultaneously to keep my wife and mom happy, run the phones on Wi-Fi assist and still allow me bandwidth do what I want with my hobbies. From this conversation, I now understand that I should consider myself very fortunate with the service that I have. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences with me.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Paul Amaranth

Hi Michael

Getting a bit off topic for the list :-)

In my previous location I had a 50 Mb cable connection with 5 static IPs. That
connection was rock solid and never had to think about it. Before that I had
a DSL connection and was continuously getting bumped off the jag lovers email
list for delivery problems (they did not take kindly to bounces). Running an
email server off of a DSL connection was challenging.

Now I go through a 3rd party reseller with the network based on Sprint. Every
so often the connection blocks up, latencies rise and google ping times get in
excess of 1-2 seconds. Then I have to reboot the LTE router and things
are fine for some variable amount of time. I finally had to build some watchdog
software to do that for me. The first router I got would fail on transferring
any files > 500K unless you confused it with a port scan. Honestly, I don't
know how anyone without a network background can deal with this stuff.

The IP range I use in Sprint's network does not allow email traffic so I have
to run my email service through a VPN tunnel to an endpoint with a static IP.
This is bad enough even I need a diagram to see where everything is :-)

Paul

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:20:39AM -0700, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
Paul,

I am paying $50 a month for whatever the "best" that CENTURYLINK provides with DSL for my area, they Claim 20MB/sec (up) and 1.2MB/Sec (down). I know that these providers are not in business to do us any favors. What I know for certain is that we can stream Netflix, AMAZON or YouTube TV HD content on 2 TVs simultaneously to keep my wife and mom happy, run the phones on Wi-Fi assist and still allow me bandwidth do what I want with my hobbies. From this conversation, I now understand that I should consider myself very fortunate with the service that I have. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences with me.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

!DSPAM:5ec6b875210941681213112!
paul@... | Unix/Linux

Linda Davis

Why not just upload the picture, sketch, whatever, to the 'Files' area, and reference the uploaded file in a message?

Mark - AD7EF

LarryS <vision1@...>

If you have a cellphone, you have pretty good internet.
Android phones have hotspot capabilities that rival any public access internet.
That's what I use out on 80 acres of land 20 miles from the nearest town.
Lots of folks don't have cellphones, or at least smartphones, I get that.
But those are getting to be rare.
A friend has been several years wiring the wide open spaces of farmland along I-70 with fiber optic internet. Rural remote farmhouses and one-horse towns with Gigabit speeds.
So I don't know who's being flown over, but a great many of them have better internet than many universities.

L.

[...]

Hi Michael,
By now several members have posted about the all too common myth that everyone in the US (the most high-tech country on the planet) who wants a gigabit connection to the internet just has to ask for it. The truth is going to shock you.

TekScopes membership is worldwide. The other thing you completely forgot is that the United States population is only 328 million people. What do you suppose the internet connectivity of the other 96% of the world's population is like?

Last question for you: What do you do when the Tek portable scope you were using to troubleshoot a GPS receiver craps out? The answer is easy: You send an email to TekScopes with a description of the problem and you hope for a quick answer? Now imagine you are on a coastal freighter that left Houston 2 days before bound for a research station in the Azores to drop off supplies when that Tek portable scope died. Next consider what happens if you don't get the scope fixed in time to repair the GPS receiver that the crew on the bridge was relying on to navigate the ship.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

[...]

TekScopes Moderator

Vintage Test

I agree wholeheartedly with Linda - upload to the files area and reference in the body of the text. I live in central Scotland and am lucky enough to have a 200Mbps fibre connection to my ISP, so it doesn’t bother me. Like Paul, it. Was there for day 1 of the WWW and remember the the modem chatter of the day. I later got ISDN, the most reliable connection ever, with no contention ratio as it is essentially an end-to-end connection, but only 28kbps ( never could get the channel bonding to work) Anyway Dennis, my vote is no attachments, for all the reasons discussed here - place a link in the message to the files area, that way, people can decide whether to follow the link or not. Keep up the good work - this forum is totally invaluable!🙂

All the best,
Mel

--
you can never have enough oscilloscopes, DMMs, valve testers or soldering irons . . .

Actually I strongly suggest pictures be uploaded to the Photos area not the files area - I suggest you create a usefully named folder to put them into!

David

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Hi Michael,
By now several members have posted about the all too common myth that everyone
in the US (the most high-tech country on the planet) who wants a gigabit
connection to the internet just has to ask for it. The truth is going to shock
you.

TekScopes membership is worldwide. The other thing you completely forgot is
that the United States population is only 328 million people. What do you
suppose the internet connectivity of the other 96% of the world's population
is like?
Dennis,

As I stated up front, I was looking for education, not an argument. I did not "forget" anything, I fully realize that we (the USA) are not the only place on earth, and with only a very small portion of the 8 billion or so people on the planet. It was just surprising to me to learn that more people than I could imagine, from a group of the smartest and most tech savvy people that I know (from all over the earth), are still crippled by dial up and metered connections. Thus my original question.

As for me, I don't have the option for a 100MB connection, much less a GB or better connection. But I am also not burdened by a "metered" connection. I wrongly imagined that these type of connections had gone the way of the dinosaur. I suppose the fact that I have learned that I have a relatively decent "high speed" connection is sufficient. I see these lists all the time that show many seemingly remote countries having much better access to the internet than here in the US, so I assumed (wrongly) that I must be near the bottom of the US list and thus the rest of the world.

I suppose that dial up is alive and well for many folks? I have a new appreciation for what I am blessed to have.

Thank you for your answer.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Hi Michael,
I apologize if I sounded argumentative. I occasionally help the manager of the Communications Museum in Seattle where I get to see how the big telephone companies provided service to the densest population centers and ignored the rest of the country completely. As a result the residents in locations without basic telephone service were forced to set up thousands of tiny "Mom and Pop" telephone companies to serve their town or area with bare bones telephone service. It is still that way in the internet era. Cell towers are everywhere along interstates and in densely populated areas but once you are off the major highways it quickly disappears. Internet connectivity is also fine in the dense areas, and spotty in the rest of the US. And we are a well-developed country. I often wonder what it must be like in other continents.

A friend of my daughter served on a freighter similar to the one I described. They are able to get internet connectivity a few hours each day at specific times via satellite. The connection is expensive and it isn't fast. Email is a good way to stay in touch because it relies on old store and forward technology. Ships only make money when they are moving. It came as a surprise to me when he described what the pressure can be like to keep everything working properly so nothing interferes with the voyage when you don't have a way to communicate with the rest of the world.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

[...]

No apology needed! I asked for education and I received some very enlightening answers. I belong to this group because of the wonderful wealth of information and exchange of knowledge that is freely available. I am NOT here to get my ego stroked or always be made to "Feel good" about the answers that I receive to questions. This discussion has made me acutely aware of how fortunate I am to have what service that I do have.

I understand the cell phone issue very well. I am less than 6 miles from I-40, but have almost no cell service. This is not because of the lack of towers, but due to the geography of my location. I am deep inside a "hollow" with tall ridges on both sides, I simply do not have line of sight to a single tower. Therefore I depend on Wi-Fi Assist on my cell phone for any phone service at all.

I did away with the land line as this became so expensive and was the source of hundreds of spam calls each month. The only use that I have for the telephone lines is to provide DSL service.

As I said, I am happy with whatever the decision is regarding attachments, but I am seeing that this is a more complex issue that it appears at first glance. I am leaning toward not allowing attachments at all, or if they are allowed, severely limiting the size of such attachments.

Thanks Again!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

JJ

I haven't followed the attachments argument this time around - it comes up
once per year and it's always the same questions, answers and end result.
But, one issue I found was that the photos in the galleries aren't back
linked to the thread - so you basically have interesting photos with no
discussion. That is, it's a bit disappointing to browse the images, find
something interesting and then be unable to put the image in context with
the thread from where it was referenced.
Has this changed or am I just not using it correctly?

Best,
JJ

Hi JJ,
It was nice seeing you at the meeting the other night.

I never gave this any thought until you brought it up just now. You are correct. The person uploading the pictures doesn't have to say anything at all about what the photos are, why they are there, when they were put there, or who put them there. That is a drawback.

Dennis

I haven't followed the attachments argument this time around - it comes up once per year and it's always the same questions, answers and end result.
But, one issue I found was that the photos in the galleries aren't back linked to the thread - so you basically have interesting photos with no discussion. That is, it's a bit disappointing to browse the images, find something interesting and then be unable to put the image in context with the thread from where it was referenced.
Has this changed or am I just not using it correctly?

Best,
JJ

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

John Griessen

On 5/22/20 4:55 PM, JJ wrote:
one issue I found was that the photos in the galleries aren't back
linked to the thread - so you basically have interesting photos with no
discussion. That is, it's a bit disappointing to browse the images, find
something interesting and then be unable to put the image in context with
the thread from where it was referenced.
You've hit on one of the pros for attachments -- easy quick inclusion of images inline
linked to the text like the www. Most chat methods that include this are forums that require a
login active to do anything, so are similar to providing independent photos on a server, except the forum software manages the creation in reduced file size of images and links them.

For this case there is no image linking to emails.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way groups.io could enable that? Many of us already have to do a login to groups.io to read mails anyway...

I send images to my server and publish links to that, but it may go away in a few years like many of the imgur, bitbucket, photobucket, flickr, dropbox, etc. photos do.

satbeginner

Again,

How difficult can it be?

Put relevant pictures in a TekScopes album;

Put link to album in your topic message;

Result:

No unwanted attachments,

so no forced bandwidth usage,

Relation between topic and pictures is preserved.

Problem solved. ( At least in my world)

Leo