Topics

Point contact diodes like 1N416 family

snapdiode

These diodes are historical and quite ancient, so of course they show up in some Tek stuff like spectrum analyzer plugins.

From what I understand they have a low Vf, but also a very low reverse breakdown voltage. Is this correct? I've looked at some datasheets and the graphs don't show the reverse voltage.

So testing a diode with a modern DMM what should I expect to see in diode mode?

I have a 1N416D that reads about .13 volts forward and about .4 volts reverse. This seems like it would work for the limited dynamic range specified for the specan.

I need to start troubleshooting somewhere and the 1L20 is another one of these 1s1-style monsters to troubleshoot. I have a 1N416E NOS diode too but it's still in its sealed bag, I don't want to open it! (Yes it's silly but I am a very silly man)

Carsten Bormann

On 2020-12-03, at 18:41, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

These diodes are historical and quite ancient, so of course they show up in some Tek stuff like spectrum analyzer plugins.

From what I understand they have a low Vf, but also a very low reverse breakdown voltage. Is this correct? I've looked at some datasheets and the graphs don't show the reverse voltage.
“The reverse voltage” does not exist for Ge diodes.
This figure would always need to be measured at a specific current.

So testing a diode with a modern DMM what should I expect to see in diode mode?
That’s the problem: DMMs vary wildly in what voltages (or, better, currents) they use in diode mode.
You get the best information if you can test a range of currents, several orders of magnitude.

I have a 1N416D that reads about .13 volts forward and about .4 volts reverse.
This looks like the DMM tests at a low current (microamps).
Or the diode is really shot.

Grüße, Carsten

This seems like it would work for the limited dynamic range specified for the specan.

I need to start troubleshooting somewhere and the 1L20 is another one of these 1s1-style monsters to troubleshoot. I have a 1N416E NOS diode too but it's still in its sealed bag, I don't want to open it! (Yes it's silly but I am a very silly man)

Miguel Work

Check voltage in diode mode with 1k resistor and you will know current test. After that check curve https://pdf1.alldatasheet.es/datasheet-pdf/view/655603/NJSEMI/1N416D.html

Usually current in diode mode is about 0,5mA for a Fluke to 1mA in standard multimeter. . If is 1mA with 1k resistor you will see 1v

These diodes are historical and quite ancient, so of course they show up in some Tek stuff like spectrum analyzer plugins.

From what I understand they have a low Vf, but also a very low reverse breakdown voltage. Is this correct? I've looked at some datasheets and the graphs don't show the reverse voltage.

Find out more here: https://bit.ly/2zCJMrO