Topics

Please send me your list of broken 7K plugins

momemeca

Hello Dennis,
Greetings from the beautiful Mornington Peninsula, near Melbourne, Australia.
I am Physicist and professional Electrical / Electronics / Mechatronics Engineer working at The Australian Synchrotron where I work mainly on accelerator control systems.
My love affair with all Tektronix equipment of old began with the 500 series oscilloscopes at college and university in the UK (late 70s) and, subsequently, in my early professional years in Oz (early 80s onwards).
I have been a keen collector and restorer for some 35 years now and have, mainly, series 500 CROs (~6), associated plug-ins (~12), accessories (misc) and series 7000 (4), associated plug-ins (~20).
Most of those are in current use in my lab as they are "cycled" into service according to their functions and capabilities.
Apart from those I have a 2465B CRO and 2712 spectrum analyser in the lab plus a contingent of Hewlett-Packard high precision instruments.
Why do I love these instruments? Well, my answer would certainly resonate with that of many fellow contributors herein; it is the elegant design of Textronix's bygone years, their clever manipulation and application of foundation electrical and electronics theories and use of the latest devices of the day. Not to mention the sheer accessibility and gorgeous mechanical build.
I genuinely feel that I am doing my bit to contribute to the survival of these old gems and, one day, pass them on to a new generation of appreciative "fan-a-tics".
Now that I have started to plan towards my impending retirement, I will have more free time to devote my free time to working on restoration, repairs and calibration (and perhaps even writing articles on same for our excellent TEK-WiKi).
We are not as blessed, here in Oz, with the availability of vintage Tektronix (or other USA equipment) as compared to the USA. Therefore, I am constantly on the internet searching for affordable instruments. Unfortunately, freight charges tend to be a prohibitive kill-joy!
If I am Lucky enough to benefit from your generosity I would be more than happy to provide components of your "Essay" list.

On another note - I was saddened to read of Barrie Gilbert's passing. A huge loss, indeed, to the world of analogue design.

Cheers,

Rick
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia.

On 2 Feb 2020, at 11:23, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> wrote:

I have quite a few 7000 plugins in need of repair and I don't have the time
to do it.
I have two goals in mind: 1) be sure each plugin goes where it will do the
most good;
2) Learn how to become a better troubleshooter from your suggestions and
skills.

THEY ARE IN PERFECT CONDITION
They are complete - all parts are there. Nothing is broken.
All knobs, switches, push buttons, levers, etc work.
All the knobs are present. There are no bent shafts, etc.
Last summer I tested every one. I spent about an hour checking everything.
If I encountered a problem with it I wrote down what the problem was.
I then guessed what might be causing it and looked at that section of the
circuitry.
If I found nothing unusual or out of the ordinary I set it aside for
something to do when I had more time.

These are not parts mules.
DON'T ASK FOR A LIST UNLESS YOU INTEND TO REPAIR THEM.
If you find debugging hardware challenging then there might be something you
can use in my list of plugins.
If you would like my list email me off list at dennis at ridesoft dot com.
The SUBJECT of your email should be" Send me your list of broken 7K
plugins".
Otherwise your email might be lost in all the other stuff I get.

ESSAY QUESTIONS: I am very interested in learning more about you and how you
go about troubleshooting 7K plugins.
It is likely I will get more requests than I have plugins. In that case your
answers to these questions will help me choose who to give them to:
Which 7K MFs and plugins do you have now?
What do you use them for?
What have you repaired in the past?
Why tools, instruments, hardware, documentation, education, skills,
strategies, checklists, and anything else do you have that makes it more
likely that you will be able to find the problems in these or any 7K
plugins?
Which plugin you want and why?
What will you use it for when you fix it?
What is the most interesting thing you have ever used a 7K oscilloscope for?
How bad do you want this plugin?
If you have pictures of you lab include them in your email.

THE BAD NEWS: There is no free lunch
These will cost $20 to $25 in USPS postage to ship to anywhere in the US.
Nobody makes boxes the right size to send a single plugin in.
They do make boxes that are the perfect size for two plugins.
These are the boxes I bought. If you find two plugins on my list the postage
goes up to $30 to $35 which is less per plugin.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

Hi Rick,
Attached is my list.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

momemeca

Hello Dennis,
Thank you for replying but ... I cannot find an attachment :-)
Perhaps the "system" stripped it?
What was the format of the file?

Cheers,

Rick