Topics

Playing back audio from an oscilloscope

DW

This might sound like a strange idea to use a digital sampling oscilloscope with a sufficient memory depth to record audio but playing it back to hear it might be another matter. This is thinking of a digital oscilloscope as a glorified analog to digital converter. Any thoughts?

Dave Casey

I think all you would need is a way to dump the waveform data and then some
code to convert the waveform points into a .WAV file. The quality of the
playback would of course depend on how many points you actually recorded
and dumped which is where the capabilities of the scope come into play;
you'll need a pretty decent waveform recording length to make it worthwhile.

Dave Casey

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:20 AM DW <wilson2115@...> wrote:

This might sound like a strange idea to use a digital sampling
oscilloscope with a sufficient memory depth to record audio but playing it
back to hear it might be another matter. This is thinking of a digital
oscilloscope as a glorified analog to digital converter. Any thoughts?

DW

Very true, and with the 8 bit analog to digital converter of the 754D for instance there would likely be a noisy background during quite passages. As for triggering I believe single shot manual triggering would work best. Connect a high performance microphone if such exist that can capture above 100 kHz and then down sample and perhaps hear frequencies outside human hearing.

Thanks for the response