PG506 of solid gold

Nenad Filipovic

I'd appreciate the enlightenment why somebody dished out >$500 for a PG506:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-PG-506-Calibration-Generator-/224356816953
A few months ago I was the second highest bidder at around $130, not sure what to think now.

Thanks,
Nenad Filipovic

Bill Perkins <sales@...>

I missed the precursor post here. If anyone might care to point to it I'd be appreciative.

Bill

I'd appreciate the enlightenment why somebody dished out >$500 for a PG506:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-PG-506-Calibration-Generator-/224356816953
A few months ago I was the second highest bidder at around $130, not sure what to think now.
Thanks,
Nenad Filipovic

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:58 PM, Nenad Filipovic wrote:

not sure what to think now.
Cheaper and quicker than DIY. Only half tongue-in-cheek...

$130 would have been a bit low, at least over here in Europe but with a thing as scarce as a PG506 it's difficult to tell.

Raymond

Nenad Filipovic

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 02:07 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:
I missed the precursor post here. If anyone might care to point to it
I'd be appreciative.
No precursor, I'm just stunned by the winning bid of over $500.

Nenad F.

Rich Miller

I only paid a little less than that about 10 years ago, and the unit I purchased, while having a mainframe had issues.

Rich

On Feb 21, 2021, at 5:26 PM, Nenad Filipovic <ilmuerte@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 02:07 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:
I missed the precursor post here. If anyone might care to point to it
I'd be appreciative.
No precursor, I'm just stunned by the winning bid of over $500.

Nenad F.

Richard Knoppow

There is no Re in front of the Subject. Maybe something under another Subject header.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Dale Chayes

There are currently more than one on (US) ebay for more than $1K…..
-Dale

-

"There are currently more than one on (US) ebay for more than $1K…..
-Dale"

Typical of today's E-bay. Something sells for $500 so a bunch of
greedy jerks post theirs with an *asking price* of twice as much!

wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:58 PM, Nenad Filipovic wrote:

not sure what to think now.
Cheaper and quicker than DIY. Only half tongue-in-cheek...

$130 would have been a bit low, at least over here in Europe but with a
thing as scarce as a PG506 it's difficult to tell.

Raymond

Rich Miller

Seems like there are a few PG506’s for less than 1K in the USA. I have seen them sell for more than 1K, on multiple occasions on eBay. If you have to have one, then its one of the few devices that do the job easily.

Rich

wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:58 PM, Nenad Filipovic wrote:

not sure what to think now.
Cheaper and quicker than DIY. Only half tongue-in-cheek...

$130 would have been a bit low, at least over here in Europe but with a
thing as scarce as a PG506 it's difficult to tell.

Raymond

Vince Vielhaber

Right now on ebay they're listed for anywhere between $269 and $1500 (plus tax and shipping, of course).

Vince.

wrote:

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 10:58 PM, Nenad Filipovic wrote:

not sure what to think now.
Cheaper and quicker than DIY. Only half tongue-in-cheek...

$130 would have been a bit low, at least over here in Europe but with a
thing as scarce as a PG506 it's difficult to tell.

Raymond

Michael W. Lynch

$130 would be dirt cheap for one that is in good physical shape and working properly. I recently gave $325 for a very nice "late" version that was mostly working and thought I got a bargain.

There have been several PG506's listed, located in Israel. These 3 have been on E-bay for at least a year now. They appear to have been fished out of a scrap bin. The aluminum parts and side covers are in poor shape. These are priced at $320 with shipping. For those $125-175 would not be a bad price IF they are working and you can stomach the poor cosmetic condition.

Several much nicer looking ones in the USA listed in the $300-$450 range and a few in the $500-$1000 bracket.

There is even one supposedly NEW in the box for $1500.

If these things do not work, the repairs can be difficult. Especially of the relays in the rear of the units are bad. So factor that into what you are willing to give.

It all depends on how badly you need a PG506. They seem to be a valuable instrument when calibrating a wide variety of TEK scopes.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

SIMPLE!
Look at the bidding history. 46 bids is all you need to know.
Two morons with virtually no buying history on eBay kept outbidding each other a few euros at a time. After a certain point reason is overshadowed by the need to win at any cost to teach the other guy a lesson. It is like watching a slow motion ping-pong game where the first person to blink (and stop bidding) leaves the other one holding the egg. Except it's not a golden egg. The seller said it doesn't work so it is more like a broken egg.
Question: How much is a broken egg worth?
Answer: What you are willing to pay for it.
When the plugin arrives the winner will learn a very valuable lesson.
The runner up may never realize how close he came to making an incredibly stupid mistake.

There is no fixing stupid!

The real winner is the seller if he can force the buyer to pay for the item.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

I'd appreciate the enlightenment why somebody dished out >$500 for a PG506:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-PG-506-Calibration-Generator-/224356816953
A few months ago I was the second highest bidder at around $130, not sure what to think now.

Thanks,
Nenad Filipovic

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Michael W. Lynch

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 06:27 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

SIMPLE!
Look at the bidding history. 46 bids is all you need to know.
Dennis,

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. One thing I learned early on in the "E-Bay" game is NEVER get in a bidding war. I set an absolute maximum price which I am willing to pay and NEVER exceed that price. Of course, if forces to bid, I try to bid as late and as little as possible. Thanks for a good belly laugh, I needed one today.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Paul Amaranth

Haha, the worst auction is one with 2 bidders :-)

I avoid that on ebay by using a sniping service. That way
I'm not tempted by auction fever.

And of course, as every astute auction goer knows, "know your price"
and stick to it.

Paul

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 04:34:06PM -0800, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 06:27 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

SIMPLE!
Look at the bidding history. 46 bids is all you need to know.
Dennis,

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head. One thing I learned early on in the "E-Bay" game is NEVER get in a bidding war. I set an absolute maximum price which I am willing to pay and NEVER exceed that price. Of course, if forces to bid, I try to bid as late and as little as possible. Thanks for a good belly laugh, I needed one today.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

!DSPAM:6032fc0a16571935183106!

-

I don't bother with sniping. I simply put in the price that I'm willing
to pay and that's it. And I don't go and watch the auction. People that do
always think that if they raise their bid "just slightly" then they'll win
the item. But seldom happens and all they do is to keep raising their bid
until they win and then they suddenly realize that they paid an absurd
price for something.

wrote:
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 06:27 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

SIMPLE!
Look at the bidding history. 46 bids is all you need to know.
Dennis,

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this. You have hit
the proverbial nail on the head. One thing I learned early on in the
"E-Bay" game is NEVER get in a bidding war. I set an absolute maximum
price which I am willing to pay and NEVER exceed that price. Of course, if
forces to bid, I try to bid as late and as little as possible. Thanks for
a good belly laugh, I needed one today.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

!DSPAM:6032fc0a16571935183106!

Stephen

Because of these ridiculous and outrageous prices, is there a modern alternative?

Dave Seiter

While it hasn't happened to me in a long time, there is nothing more fun than watching two or three of those morons bidding on something you're selling!  There was even an occasion when I bunch of people overbidding on an item that was worth about $25.  I was sure they thought it was something it wasn't, and posted a note on the listing stating that it wasn't the $$$ item.  Didn't matter; the auction closed at about $175, and the winner never said a thing.  Go figure.
-Dave

On Sunday, February 21, 2021, 04:27:48 PM PST, Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

[...]

You mean other auction sites?  Not any that have a lot of traffic.  There is a auction house near me that used to do sealed bids on everything. (mostly electronic gear and scrap from local companies)  It was tricky if you really wanted something, and you wouldn't even know if others were interested at all.  Now they do regular auctions, and my win rate is much lower.  I did get a large stack of TM500 mainframes in a bidding war from them, but I've recovered the money spent, and still have many units to test (now that I have a sparkly new tester!!!)  Sadly, test equipment is dwindling, and it's more biomed stuff and 2nds of hoverboards, amplifiers and the like.
-Dave

On Sunday, February 21, 2021, 06:43:19 PM PST, Stephen <stephen.nabet@gmail.com> wrote:

Because of these ridiculous and outrageous prices, is there a modern alternative?

-

The same alternatives that existed before E-bay. Garage sales, thrift
stores, networking with similarly minded people, government surplus sales,
surplus stores, etc. Due to the higher prices that overseas buyers are
willing to pay and the insane prices that some sellers are asking, Ebay is
rapidly becoming my LAST resort. The real problem today is that thanks to
the internet, everyone, everywhere wants an Ebay price for everything no
matter how poor the condition. 40 some odd years ago Hemmings Motor News
had the same affect on the prices of any automobile that was even remotely
collectable. People in Dogpatch, USA would want $10,000 for their 15 year
old rusted out 1963 Comet because that was the *asking* price for a mint
condition original with only 22,000 miles on it listed in Hemmings.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 9:43 PM Stephen <stephen.nabet@gmail.com> wrote:

Because of these ridiculous and outrageous prices, is there a modern
alternative?

Stephen

I meant an alternative to a PG506, not an alternative to eBay...