Topics

Pallet of scopes for sale

Bill Higdon

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2 curve tracers

Michael W. Lynch

Bill,

Looks like 2 Type 575 and 1 Type 576 curve tracers plus a box of device adapters. Not to mention the 2445 and the HP Logic analyzer. Who knows what might be hidden inside that pile that cannot be seen? This is a gold mine for the right person.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Bert Haskins

On 6/18/2020 10:14 AM, Bill Higdon via groups.io wrote:
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2 curve tracers

David Berlind

Wow. I would love the 575. Are those fixtures for the 575 or the 576. If
the 575, I'm salivating even more.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:56 PM Bert Haskins <bhaskins@...>
wrote:

On 6/18/2020 10:14 AM, Bill Higdon via groups.io wrote:
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2
curve tracers

Roy Morgan

On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2 curve tracers
Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

Paul Amaranth

I don't need them; I have all the scopes and curve tracers I could want and more
projects than I can get to. But Cinci is within driving range and I hear the
auction calling ...

My only hope is that somebody bids it up so it's past my bargain threshold.

Must resist ....

Paul

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 02:33:20PM -0400, Roy Morgan wrote:

On Jun 18, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Bill Higdon via groups.io <willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2 curve tracers
Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

!DSPAM:5eebb37c197081773711950!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Raymond Cote

At least they should have shown the front. Of all scopes

In matters of style, float with the current. In matters of Principle, stand like a rock. “. — Thomas Jefferson —

On Jun 18, 2020, at 13:48, Paul Amaranth <paul@...> wrote:

[...]

David Kuhn

" My only hope is that somebody bids it up so it's past my bargain
threshold."

And what do you think that would be? It would be an excuse to take a trip
to Cincy again (about 8 hours from here). I lived there from 1985-2000 and
miss the place.

Dave

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

!DSPAM:5eebb37c197081773711950!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Paul Amaranth

Less than the $365 (+ 10% bp + tax) it's currently at with 5 days remaining.

Now it's just interesting to see how high it goes.

Still a reasonable price but not if you don't need any of it.

Paul

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5eece91c223591987219665!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Paul Amaranth

For those who are interested, the bid closed at $655 + $50.44 buyers
premium + $65.50 tax for a total of $770.94

While not out of line for a 576 + 2 575s plus misc other stuff it
was not what I would consider a bargain.

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see 2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5eece91c223591987219665!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

David Kuhn

" While not out of line for a 576 + 2 575s plus misc other stuff it
was not what I would consider a bargain."

I'm the idiot that won the auction. I had a nice vacation out of getting
the equipment and visited the two largest flea markets in the Cincinnati
area, when I was out there over this last weekend.

The was TWO (575s) on the pallot (I thought only one) in addition to the
576. There was a worthless HP Logic Analyser. There was however a nice HP
10K-1.5GHZ Spectrum analyzer and it appears to work and has a great CRT.
Also on the pallot, all those 576 plugin, three TDS420A (I think) with
GPIB ports and Thermal Printers and scope probes. The one I tested in the
hotel room seems noisy on the test square wave probe calibrator, but had a
really good and bright trace trace. It also seemed to go to some
ridiculously high digitation rate for a scope like that. The thermal
printer worked. There also were two no-name brand analog scopes and a Tek
2245 Analog scope that works fine and has a great trace. There is more
stuff in the boxes too. Seemed like foam with a bunch of transistors in it
with the gain documented and a few other things.

I am not sure what I am going to do with all that stuff. For now, it is
getting unloaded into my one shed. Next month, a friend will help clear
out the garage and the industrial shelves and move all the gear to there.
I don't really have a use for it, but if it works, the 576 will sit in the
corner of my large bench and look impressive (if I keep it). I don't know
because of their weight, if I will try to sell the 575's or part them out.
Having them packed and then shipped would probably cost $50 for
professional packing and another $100+ shipping, which no one will want to
pay. So confirming that they work and then parting them out, may be the
best option, but not until I play with them for nostalgia's sake. When I
went to Electronic School in 79-81, they had them and they were old back
then. So I want to admire them inside and out and then figure out what to
do with them. The other scopes should be okay for sale if I want. Heck I
think I paid $400 for NOS for a GPIB interface for a TDS420A that I already
had two/three years ago.

I really don't care if I lose money on these units. We had a blast back
home over the weekend and the excitement of searching through all the stuff
on the pallot.

Plus at the flea markets (with masks of course), my kid got a couple of DS
Games and a sword. Then at Microcenter Mall in Cincinnati, my kid also
picked up a professional microphone and accessories for his future "game
podcasting career" (heh heh heh) and we got a 3D printer to play with for
my wife's crafting.

All, in all, it was a good 4 days. Not a bargain or not, I am happy.

Dave

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see
2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5eece91c223591987219665!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Chuck Harris

Lose money??? for what you got, that was cheap.

You got a very good deal.

-Chuck Harris

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see
2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5eece91c223591987219665!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

David Kuhn

Thank you; I thought so, someone else didn't. I finally have some older
equipment to work on as a hobby this winter. I would have loved to have
had a 500 series scope (other than curve tracer), but it will still be
similar to relive my earlier life - lol. The first scope I ever used was
one of those 500 series (I don't remember which one).

I can remember in Electronics school there was this older gentleman who
maintained all those old scopes. Being arse-holes like we kids were, with
those 500 series scopes the graticules, if I recollect correctly, were on
the blue external screen. We learned that if you put tracing paper under
that blue screen, they didn't focus worth a darn. So the lab teacher would
be called over, he would look and then just give a new scope and that one
would head to the old man. A few hours later, we heard this "OH GOD Dxxx!"
coming from his lab. The lab teacher would break down laughing (knowing
what we did). I really don't think those things could fail on their own,
at least in 1979/1980. Internally, they are electronic art. Gorgeous!

I later ended up getting one from the military surplus, but after my job,
early in life, took me to Cincinnati and had everyday filled, I really
don't remember what happened to it. I think I sold or traded it at a
hamfest, I really don't remember as that was 35-38 years ago. So with the
575, I can re-live a little of my youth, which I pine for. How can you put
a price on that?

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see
2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5eece91c223591987219665!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Paul Amaranth

Hey Dave, with that SA in there you did OK. I only did not consider
it a bargain because I'm up to me ears in stuff and most of that
would have been duplicates :-)

Anyway, I'm a bottom feeder at auctions. In the olden days (with
5% buyer's premium, the local auctioneer used to call me "Mr Dollar"
Part of the fun for me is getting things *really* cheap.

Paul

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1779&acctid=8907

If you're in the area of the auction it might be interesting I see
2
curve tracers

Ok ok, “THE AREA” seems to be Cincinnati Ohio.

Roy
Who will not go there, as such as he’d like to own that stuff!!!!

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

!DSPAM:5f060e5851551091416528!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Dave Seiter

I'm an auction bottom feeder too, mostly because I hate getting stuck with worthless junk, but also because I resell a lot in order to finance my acquisitions.  I've noticed that getting deals has been getting harder in the past four years, and really tough in the past 6 months (unless you're looking for machinery that requires pros to move, then it's practically given away for scrap value).
Some auctions allow only bank transfers as payment.  This appears to be an effort to weed out casual bidders; and I saw a machinery auction last year in SoCal where they actually stated they would only sell to "industry professionals".  That auction only sold about 30% of it's items- I would have bid on two larger items myself until I read the requirements, too many hoops to jump through! I don't know what they were trying to avoid, but it seemed to have backfired.  I chatted with another guy who had wanted to bid also- he suspected that something funny was going on, like they had to go through the motions of the auction, but wanted to retain a good portion of the equipment (or sell it cheap to another party.)
My Tek "problem" started about 13 years ago when I got two pallets of gear (4'+ tall) from a series of Telogy auctions.  I got them for $50 each- no one else bid because they had put the obviously broken items on top (like a 7104 that looked practically new, except where the side of the CRT face had been hit by something like a forklift.  Along with some working 7104s, I ended up with about 7 (R)7844s, along with piles of other gear.  I had a "scope henge" in the garage for a while.
-Dave

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020, 06:33:44 PM PDT, Paul Amaranth <paul@...> wrote:
Anyway, I'm a bottom feeder at auctions.  In the olden days (with
5% buyer's premium, the local auctioneer used to call me "Mr Dollar"
Part of the fun for me is getting things *really* cheap.

Richard in Edenton NC

You can always buy them and sell some. Then the rest you get for free