Topics

P6137 scope probe repair

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 04:54 PM, Dave Daniel wrote:

Remove the pin and the scope will treat the input as a 1x probe,
Maybe a bit clearer: The extra contact just operates the scale indicator light.

Raymond

Jared Cabot

Yeah, I realised that pin wasn't the ground when reading the manual after uploading the video.... :D

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:54 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:

BTW, that spring-loaded pin on the BNC connector end is not a ground pin. It
indicates to the scope that the probe is a 10x probe so that the scope can
display the proper voltage values. Remove the pin and the scope will treat the
input as a 1x probe, even though the displayed waveform will be correct for a
10x probe.

DaveD

On Jan 19, 2021, at 10:39, Jacques DULONGPONT <ankorjd@gmail.com> wrote:

Very intersting video. Most probably the solution for one of my defective
probe.

Thanks

Jacques

Le mar. 19 janv. 2021 à 16:05, Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
protonmail.com@groups.io> a écrit :

I just uploaded a video showing the repair process, link below:
https://youtu.be/xSJzuXy4pgA

I've also put the images from my previous post into the photos section
here too:

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 05:17 PM, Jared Cabot wrote:

Yeah, I realised that pin wasn't the ground when reading the manual after
uploading the video.... :D
The construction with the pin allows several attenuation settings: I know about 1 x, 10 x, 20 x, 100 x.

Raymond

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 05:21 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

several attenuation settings:
and, as said, the attenuation in the 'scope is not changed, just the indication.

Raymond

Jared,

Very nicely done. Excellent workmanship on the disassembly and reassembly.

It makes me want to have a go at one of my non-working P6106s

-- Jeff Dutky

Vince Vielhaber

It's also used for ID if the probe has the ID button on it.

Vince.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 07:41 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

It's also used for ID if the probe has the ID button on it.
Yes! A short! Good you mentioned that!

Raymond

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

if the probe has the ID button on it.
... and if the 'scope supports that feature. 7000-family plugins do.

Raymond

Vince Vielhaber

On 01/19/2021 01:57 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

if the probe has the ID button on it.
... and if the 'scope supports that feature. 7000-family plugins do.
As do the 11K. Press the button and it brings that channel to the front and all settings are activated for it.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Roy Thistle

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:16 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

Maybe a bit clearer: The extra contact just operates the scale indicator
light.
Are you sure?
That's what it does on a 465... but not just the indicator, on a TAS 465, or some of the 7000 series plug-ins, for examples.
Tek usually labels it the "readout pin" ... I assume that's because it programs the on screen readout correctly (according to the value of the resistor in the probe.)

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:19 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:

Are you sure?
That's what it does on a 465... but not just the indicator, on a TAS 465, or
some of the 7000 series plug-ins, for examples.
Tek usually labels it the "readout pin" ... I assume that's because it
programs the on screen readout correctly (according to the value of the
resistor in the probe.)
Sort of sure. My message mainly addressed 'scopes like the 465-series and the 485. In 7000-series vertical plugins it corrects the screen readout and implements the IDENT function, if the probe has the right (a 0 Ohm) button.
In 11K-series 'scopes, the 0-Ohm button performs even more functions, as Vince mentioned a while ago.

It does *not* switch the plugin's sensitivity.

Raymond

Dave Daniel

Yes, on models that have readout text the scope also uses the pin to display the correct voltage values based on whether the probe is a 1x, 10x or 100x probe, which is that to which I was referring in my original post.

DaveD

On Jan 19, 2021, at 14:19, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 08:16 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

Maybe a bit clearer: The extra contact just operates the scale indicator
light.
Are you sure?
That's what it does on a 465... but not just the indicator, on a TAS 465, or some of the 7000 series plug-ins, for examples.
Tek usually labels it the "readout pin" ... I assume that's because it programs the on screen readout correctly (according to the value of the resistor in the probe.)

Harvey White

I've seen two types of identify response:  One is to flash the word "identify and bump the trace up a bit", the second just bumps the trace.

Harvey

On 1/19/2021 1:59 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

On 01/19/2021 01:57 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

if the probe has the ID button on it.
... and if the 'scope supports that feature. 7000-family plugins do.
As do the 11K.  Press the button and it brings that channel to the front and all settings are activated for it.

Vince.

Szabolcs Szigeti

Hi,

On the 2440 and its sibling DSOs, the scope can be configured to do various
things on pressing the probe button, like saving the waveform or switching
between predefined configuration settings. The 2440 has some very powerful
automation features of defining settings and manually or automatically
switching between them.
I found this function very very handy sometimes.

Szabolcs

Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 19., K,
19:59):

On 01/19/2021 01:57 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 07:43 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

if the probe has the ID button on it.
... and if the 'scope supports that feature. 7000-family plugins do.
As do the 11K. Press the button and it brings that channel to the front
and all settings are activated for it.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Vince Vielhaber

I have a 2440 and a 2430A and never knew that. Thanks!

Vince.