From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel Koller via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 2:26 PM
To: TekScopes <tekscopes@groups.io>; HP Agilent Keysight <hp-agilent-keysight-equipment@groups.io>
Subject: [TekScopes] OT! OT! --- E-bay fee change -- OT! OT! Cross posted with HP group.

Hi folks, this is OFF TOPIC because it's about e-bay, but on the other hand, with the exception of my older gear, it's just about the only way I get *any* Tek or HP gear these days. So, with apologies if it drags on too long and in the wrong direction,....
I got a message from e-bay that explains they are changing their payment structure. According to that, sellers will need to directly link a bank account to e-bay so that they can receive payments directly from buyers. By May 21, if you do not link a bank account to e-bay, they will not allow new postings! So, the implication is that Paypal is no longer going to work. I don't know about folks here, but I suspect, like me, they are a bit older, financially conservative, and are loathe to link a personal bank account to e-bay. To this day I do not have my paypal account "linked" to my bank account. I can have all my on-line accounts hacked, but none of them have any access to my bank account.
One thing I thought to do is open a small credit union account with low/no fees and use that only for e-bay / paypal and keep the balance low, just in case something gets hacked. But now I have to go to the bank, or perhaps open an account on-line. E-bay is NOT making it easier for the small seller. More and more e-bay is just becoming a venue for cheap Chinese goods and wholesale garbage.
So, just wondering what folks here plan to do about selling their old gear, and working with ebay in the future. Anyone have any good Ideas or workarounds to the e-bay problem, or an alternate e-venue for buying and selling old gear? E-bay has been a collector's and hobbyist's goldmine for 20 years. It's sad to see it continually changing for the worse.
I am sensitive to the fact that this is a topic only tangentially related to Tek or HP gear, so please keep replies relevant to how e-bay is a conduit for acquiring such gear for us. I'm happy to take replies off-group as well, but if it's relevant, I presume we all want to hear about it.
Thanks,
Dan

Robert Simpson

Yes,
i have a separate bank account with just a few hundred dollars. So far no problems.
Bob

Mark

I sell on Ebay and I had no worries linking my account.

SCMenasian

Brokerage accounts such as Fidelity and e-Trade have cash management features with check writing.
For some (I checked e-Trade), no minimum balance is required to open an account. Fees are generally zero (although I don't know about a cash management account with t tiny balance). The checks have routing numbers, just like a bank or credit union and you should be able to set up eBay payments to go directly to the account.

-

Ebay sold off PayPal *years* ago so I'm not a bit surprised to see that
they've done this. Paypal also (at least used to) required that sellers
link their PP accounts to a bank account so I don't see that this is much
of a change except that PayPal is no longer the middle man. Early on,
PayPal was *notorious* from yanking back payments to sellers and taking the
money directly from their bank accounts without warning. I no longer sell
on E-bay but I do make many purchases there and I *always* pay for my
purchases with a CC so that I have *some* protection.

YMMV

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Daniel Koller via groups.io <kaboomdk=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Vince Vielhaber

On 04/27/2021 02:26 PM, Daniel Koller via groups.io wrote:
[...]
This started over a year ago. I don't think that in the end, buyers will no longer be able to use paypal. That would be a dumb move on ebay's part.

I couldn't wait to get switched. The only inconvenience I've found was of my own doing and I can change that at any time. I have two bank accounts and my ebay sales go into one and shipping is paid via paypal from the other. I can switch that but it's such a minor inconvenience that I'm not going to worry about. Both accounts are linked to paypal.

In the end, as a seller, I get more with managed payments than when the sales went thru paypal.

Vince.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Stephen

I don’t necessarily see this as a problem. Over here in France, and I think it’s the same within the EU, once the money is in your bank account, there is no way for anyone but yourself to withdraw it without a court order.
No one can have access to anything on any of your bank account(s) without a court order, with the exception of the IRS who can take anything they want without warning if you haven’t paid your taxes.
My PayPal account has been linked to my bank account for years and years, and I’ve never had any problems so far.

Marian Beermann

As I understand it, eBay will no longer provide your account information to
the buyer at all. Instead the buyer pays eBay, which acts as an escrow, and
will eventually pay you (or not). The number of payment options would
therefore be independent of the seller's choices.

Personally what irks me more about eBay is that the site is constantly
broken, has years old bugs like items not being added to the watchlist at
times, bids not registering, login loops, aggressive 2FA verification over
and over again, doesn't properly work with Firefox, and has a rather
obscene 11 % tax on top. 10 % would be acceptable, if their site was
top-notch - but it's not, it's half-working garbage at the best of times.

Cheers, Marian

Am Di., 27. Apr. 2021 um 20:32 Uhr schrieb Daniel Koller via groups.io
[...]

Dave Peterson

Dan,
Thank you for your well presented message. IMHO this does relate for the reasons you've stated.
I am currently setting up my financial infrastructure to sell, including on eBay. I'm afraid I'll have to use PayPal to enable individual sales. I've dealt with PayPal before when renting out a vacation condo. They did all the nasty things they're known for. Therefore all my dealings will go through an insulated local credit union account.
Thank you for the heads up on eBays changes. I think that actually works better for me, and you've caught me right at the cusp. Now I'm more informed in setting up my accounts.Dave

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:32:18 AM PDT, Daniel Koller via groups.io <kaboomdk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I don't know what part of the world that you're in but I RARELY see any
problems on E-bay here in the US. I use both Mozilla and Palemoon.

I don't think that E-bay (US) has given out the buyer's information to
the sellers, or vice versa, in MANY years. They did very early on but I
think that stopped when they started using PayPal since they didn't want
the buyers and sellers to be able to contact each other and make deals
outside of Ebay/PP. I know that years ago I tried to send a buyer or a
seller, I don't recall which, my phone number through E-bay's message
system and E-bay would consistantly reject my message. I finally got around
it by putting the phone number into a JPG image and was able to send that
but I think that E-bay later figured that one out and even found a way to
block that. Many years ago when I was selling a lot of E-bay and I usually
shipped via FedEx and FedEx always wanted the receiver's phone number in
case there was a delivery problem. At the time, I could contact the buyer
through E-bay's message system and have send me their phone number the same
way. But as I said, that was a LONG time ago! Ebay is vastly different
now than when I first started using it and people would send each other
personal checks and even cash through the mail to pay for their purchases.
Someone in Germany once folded up some American dollar bills and put them
inside of a 3 1/2" floppy disk shell and mailed it to me. He didn't warn me
and I didn't know what it was for and almost threw it away when I received
it! Heck, my original buyer/seller name on E-bay WAS my complete E-mail
address! Times change!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 3:52 PM Marian B <public@enkore.de> wrote:

[...]

Hi Daniel,
Marian absolutely refuses to give any one access to our bank accounts (I think she is smarter than me) so we struggled when eBay insisted we had to provide them with a bank account. Then we realized there was a simple solution: We opened an account solely for eBay at a local credit union. It's cheap and simple.

Now we can freely transfer funds from our main account to our eBay account and vice-versa in a matter of minutes. Problem solved. The only drawback (very minor) is keeping track of two bank accounts.

From the many replies you received to your post it seems like many of our members have done exactly the same thing.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

[...]

TekScopes Moderator

Daniel Koller

Hi Dennis,
   Thank you and all the others who responded.  Yes, I think the way to go will be as many suggested, and open up a local credit union account, just for e-bay and paypal (and venmo also wants to link to my account!).   We'll keep just enough money in it to cover the expenses we expect from e-bay and the like.   And right now I think between my wife and I we have 4 Bank of America accounts, and after the fees they imposed on an account recently, we have been looking to close some of those, so we'll end up with net fewer accounts in the end.
  So thanks, and I think we can put an end to this thread.  Issue resolved on my end!
  Dan

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 08:18:51 PM EDT, Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

Hi Daniel,
Marian absolutely refuses to give any one access to our bank accounts (I think she is smarter than me) so we struggled when eBay insisted we had to provide them with a bank account. Then we realized there was a simple solution: We opened an account solely for eBay at a local credit union. It's cheap and simple.

Now we can freely transfer funds from our main account to our eBay account and vice-versa in a matter of minutes. Problem solved. The only drawback (very minor) is keeping track of two bank accounts.

From the many replies you received to your post it seems like many of our members have done exactly the same thing.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

[...]

Actually what I do not understand: I already have Ebay getting its fees via my credit card, and vice versa if they reimbourse something. So why do they need anything in addition to that?

I will stop selling on Ebay altogether and try "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" instead, here in germany. Fortunately I sold most of my items already.

cheers
Martin

On 27. Apr 2021, at 20:26, Daniel Koller via groups.io <kaboomdk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

One word? Greed!

When I started with E-bay their fee was 2% and there was no such thing
as PayPal and you made our own shipping arrangements.

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

On 28. Apr 2021, at 06:26, - <rrrr6789@gmail.com <mailto:rrrr6789@gmail.com>> wrote:
One word? Greed!
Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?

What a difference does it make compared to the process in place today (using my credit card)? I'm just talking about the transits between Ebay and my account, not the rest which of course is greed...

cheers
Martin

-

<Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?>

Are you talking about the switch from PayPal being the escrow agent to
Ebay doing that themselves or are you talking about the fact that E-bay now
wants to link to your bank account?

The answer to the first should be obvious, Ebay, not PayPal, will now
have the use of the funds while they are in escrow and will also get the
fees collected. Cha-Ching!

The second; while Ebay being linked to everyone's bank accounts may not
directly produce revenue for them, it will eliminate any possible loss to
Ebay in the event of non-paying bidders or items being returned or claimed
as damages in shipping, or not delivered or not as described, etc. Ebay is
going to suck the money out of someone else's account with or without their
knowledge or consent, just like PayPal did.

Nothing here is really new except that Ebay has stepped into the shoes
that PayPal used to occupy. Effectively, they changed the name, but the
game is the same.

Ebay made billions when it sold off PayPal. I'm just wondering how long
before E-bay places their NEW payment service into a separate part of the
company and then sells off that division. Is there anyone here that doesn't
understand the idom of "Rinse and Repeat!"?

This reminds me of the scene of Burt Reynolds movie .The Longest Yard'.
In it the Prison convicts are playing football against the Prison guards
and things are getting rough and one guard is particulary agreesive and
always charges trhough defensive line and *smashes* the quarterbark. Burt's
character comes up with a plan, the defensive line directly in front of the
guard opens up and lets him have an open field to the quarterback (Burt's
character). But Burt is ready for him and throws the ball at him HARD and
it smacks him directly in the nuts! Both sides reform their line while the
guard wonders around in a painfilled haze. Burt then says to his team
'Hey, it worked the first time so let's do it again!". They all laugh and
of course, they make the exact same play and the guard gets it where it
hurts the most all over again. After that he's *out* of the game!

I kind of feel that we the Ebay sellers (and consumers in general) are
getting the same abusive treatment (right in our financial nuts!) over and
over from Ebay and other greedy companies. Cable companies and ISPs are
among the worst! They charge you for high price services but then don't
deliver the promised performnce, then when everyone gets fed up with them
and their business declines, they change their name, advertise heavily to
regain custimers and do it all over again. Bright House/ Spectrum, are you
listening?

On 28. Apr 2021, at 15:11, - <rrrr6789@gmail.com> wrote:

... or are you talking about the fact that E-bay now wants to link to your bank account?
Thats the "thingy" I'm talking about, yes. You say it allows them to "suck money out of my account". What I do not understand is that they are already able to do that via my credit card. Buyers usually pay me via bank transfer, and Ebay charges the credit card with the fees. So they already can do it, why to they need to do that "linking" business??

I've never subscribed to Paypal, but to what I heard is that once the money is on your account it cannot be taken back. But as long as its on a sort of intermediate "Paypal-account", thats a different story.

cheers
Martin

Jim Ford

Ah, yes, and Sage Millimeter just changed its name to Eravant. Another engineer here at Raytheon told me Sage was infamous for poor delivery.
Not surprised to hear they changed their name. Beware!

Sorry to take it further OT, but I don't want anyone here to get fooled.

Jim Ford

rrrr6789@gmail.com>> wrote:
> One word? Greed!

Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?

What a difference does it make compared to the process in place today
(using my credit card)? I'm just talking about the transits between Ebay
and my account, not the rest which of course is greed...

cheers
Martin

Dave Peterson

Martin,

Unless it happens to you it's difficult to believe.

When you agree to use PayPal (or whichever latest flavor is currently popular) you rather explicitly allow them to reach into your bank account and take money out without notice.

When we rented out our vacation condo we were required by PayPal to provide our rental agreement which allowed us to withhold deposits from our renters. We had a renter violate our agreement: overloaded the condo with guests exceeding its capacity, caused damage. This was only time we were compelled to withhold the deposit because the cost of damages exceeded the rental deposit.

The renter fought furiously against us (the BBB is BS by the way) despite everything being very obvious and clear. (Seen the movie "Pacific Heights"?). Finally the renter had their credit card company reverse the charges on the rental deposit.

We discovered this a couple of months after the fact when $250 disappeared from our checking account. That was the ONLY indication we got that the charge reversal happened.

Despite our rental agreement in PayPals hands, PayPals documented charge reversal policies, and their very friendly and responsive customer service representatives, they never did a thing to challenge the charge reversal. To them it is vastly better to piss us off than the credit card company. The credit card company will always win and doesn't give a rats ass about you.

When you use these services (in the US) you will always be required to "let them win". Your recourse is the courts, in which case you loose. Good luck if you're talking over $5,000. Your legal fees will blow that out of the water.

I would also highly advise not linking your free credit union checking account to any other bank account. But that won't really protect you either. They'll just file the bill with a collection agency. Then the fun will really start.

I like to say, I'm not cynical, I'm "woke".

Sorry for the rant, but if you're going to sell on eBay, or deal with PayPal, or Venmo, you should be aware of what you're signing into.
Dave