Topics

OT!! Has anyone here shipped items from USA to Chile?? OT!!

Daniel Koller

Hi All,

   I have a very off-topic question, but it's relevant in the sense that I would like to ship a technical item (a camera of sorts) to Chile.  Does anyone here have experience with shipping from the US to Chile via UPS, and tracking the package door-to-door? I figured someone here must have shipped a piece of gear there at one point.

  I'm happy to take replies OFF LINE and summarize here if there is any relevance.  So, please reply to my personal address and not the group.

  Thanks, and pardon the off-topic intrusion.

  Dan

Jean-Paul

Hello

Shipping from USA to Asia, South America or Mid East is fraught with hazard and compliance issues. Some US products are prohibited to exports as military or dual use.

Customs, haz mat laws, dishonest customs and government officials etc will do everything to delay, stop entry or hold up till excessive fees are paid.

I have no special experience with Chile but have shipped electronic equipment for 40 years.

suggest that the recipients use a freight forwarder with a US based office.

Alternative contact Fed Ex or DHL export division for a quote.

DO NOT USE UPS

Depending on sizes weight value expected to pay for freight, document's and delivery plus any customs tarrifs.

Freight cost can far exceeded shipment value.

Bon Chance

Jon

-

FWIW I used to sell a lot of Ebay and I always sold world wide. The
biggest problem that I have encountered is that many countries have very
poor security in their postal systems so the buyers usually wanted their
items insured. But when they do, it requires that the item be shipped via
air mail, Global Priority Mail or other expensive methods. As long as all
of the customs forms and other documentation is filled out correctly,
everything seems to get to it's destination,,,,,eventually! Getting
through customs in some countries can take FOREVER! I once shipped some
items to a friend in Germany and the package took over 2 months to arrive.
When it did arrive, he found that the box had been opened at three widely
distant custom's offices in three different parts of the country with no
explanation of why. Also each time they opened the package, they turned it
over to a new side and cut a new hole in it! So when it arrived, three
sides had been cut open, the items removed and then replaced and the box
taped up again. I would have expected better (and faster) from a modern
first world country like Germany.

I don't think that I've shipped to Chile but I have shipped hundreds of
items all over the world, and knock on wood, I've never had a package lost
or stolen. Don't take shortcuts or try to scam the system, just fill out
the paperwork, including the value, *correctly*, and if the item is
expensive then insure it and send it via the postal classification that is
needed to provide proper security.

I have never used DHL, UPS or other freight companies for overseas
shipping. Their prices are just too high unless you are a HIGH volume
shipper and get a steep discount. Everything that I've shipped has been
USPS.

I see no advantage of shipping via a freight forwarder. They're just
going to do the same thing that any shipper *should* be doing.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:13 AM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

[...]

Size, weight and value of the camera?

You will need a Harmonize number classification.

Jon

Henry Newton

The company I used to work for (retired) shipped via FedEx to Santiago many times wo/problems.

If you use a pallet, make sure the pallet has a clear imprint of “HT” meaning the wood has been cooked in a kiln to kill insects, etc.

If you require a custom crate, you must use a crating company that is certified to use HT wood. This means they have a paper trail for their HT wood back to the kiln.

Hope you have a successful shipment.

Henry

Siegmund Souza

My family has shipped to relatives in Colombia from the US and like the other gentleman mentioned they now do not use UPS or regular mail.  It can work out however delivery time if its successful can be extremely long - there are pitfalls   They do now use a shipping service/freight forwarder as the other gentleman mentioned that has expertise in shipping to South America.  They will specify what countries they have expertise with.  You would need to find one that knows how to get things properly sent to Chile.  You will pay more to send items with a forwarder/service however it is much more of a certainty the items will get there in a timely fashion without hassles.