OT (again, but different)

ken chalfant

Greetings,

Kindly forgive this way off topic message.

My day job is in medical capital equipment manufacturing (not as rewarding as one might think).

A big part of my job is solving EOL (End Of Life) component issues with a system that has been successfully in production for a long time.

Recently we were advised that three of the components we use (SMD LED’s) had gone out of production. We were not offered an end of life buy opportunity.

Because it is a PMA (Pre-MArket Approval) medical product even changing to the manufacturer’s recommended replacement is a staggering amount of man hours and documents.

We are trying every source and the brokers we know, but so far we have only found one of the three.

Can anybody suggest a source for the following two part numbers?

Avago (Broadcom) Red SMD LED: ALMD-EG3D-VZ002 (1,000 - 1,500 pieces)

Avago (Broadcom) Amber SMD LED: ALMD-EL3D-VX002 (1,000 - 1,500 pieces)

Thanks for your time and the use of our bandwidth.

Regards,

Ken

Milan Trcka

Ken,
I have been in the field of development, qualification, and production of med instrumentation for some 17 years. I share your pain. All I could suggest is to go through prototype(s) test and "letter to file" route while documenting that the replacement is every way identical to the old one. If the LED is not a "critical" or "life support" component (established reliability, exact wavelength and intensity, tight specs, etc), and form-fit-function can be be proven, perhaps as an indicator, it should work. If the LED is a part of, say, pulse oximeter sensor, it may be a bit harder. problem. Updated Hazard Analysis would help. Either way, is is a bit of work. EOL is a pain. Planning for EOL is a major part of the game. Been there, done that...

Joe

Hi,

I am not sure if this link might help:
https://www.dgser.com/product/search.html?catid=&keyword=ALMD-EL3D-VX002
They say there were 3000+ in stock

I have no relation in no way to that company!

Regards, Joe

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 01:06 PM, ken chalfant wrote:

ALMD-EL3D-VX002

ken chalfant

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much!!!!

I will have our buyer contact them first thing on Monday morning.

Warm regards,

Ken

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dgser.com%2Fproduct%2Fsearch.html%3Fcatid%3D%26keyword%3DALMD-EL3D-VX002&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Ca6c8a3bec8534a21981f08d9591e1927%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637638808070821435%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=Ncz5qvBuReEtLmXhmmbmaZ12xkBWu8dURLyRquU8XRo%3D&amp;reserved=0
They say there were 3000+ in stock

I have no relation in no way to that company!

Regards, Joe

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 01:06 PM, ken chalfant wrote:

ALMD-EL3D-VX002

Ralph Hartwell

I am not sure if this link might help:
https://www.dgser.com/product/search.html?catid=&keyword=ALMD-EL3D-
VX002
They say there were 3000+ in stock

I feel slightly uneasy about that web site. It does not appear to have been updated since 2019, and a number of information pages are blank. It almost looks like a preliminary template for a functioning web site.

When I selected a product that I was potentially interested in and then attempted to place the order, nothing happened. Clicking on the BUY button after entering a product quantity resulted in an error image appearing and nothing else happening.

A Google search seems to indicate that they are a functioning business in China, so you may have to contact them directly.

Stay safe,

Ralph

This matches the description of the websites of 99% of all businesses in china.

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 7:53 PM Ralph Hartwell <ralph@spectrotek.com> wrote:

I am not sure if this link might help:
https://www.dgser.com/product/search.html?catid=&keyword=ALMD-EL3D-
VX002
They say there were 3000+ in stock

I feel slightly uneasy about that web site. It does not appear to have been updated since 2019, and a number of information pages are blank. It almost looks like a preliminary template for a functioning web site.

When I selected a product that I was potentially interested in and then attempted to place the order, nothing happened. Clicking on the BUY button after entering a product quantity resulted in an error image appearing and nothing else happening.

A Google search seems to indicate that they are a functioning business in China, so you may have to contact them directly.

Stay safe,

Ralph

Joe

Folks,
I am so sorry. I did not do closer research before posting the link.
And I am afraid it has become quite a challenge not to buy in China regardless what you are looking for.
Joe

Ralph Hartwell

I am so sorry. I did not do closer research before posting the link.
And I am afraid it has become quite a challenge not to buy in China regardless
what you are looking for.

There's nothing to be sorry for. When you need some discontinued or oddball component, you look where it is and buy where you have to.

It's really become a global economy. I manufacture RF amplifiers, and have to I source components from the USA, Canada, Ukraine, Japan, and China. Some of the parts are just not manufactured in the USA any more, no matter what you are willing to pay for it.

Ralph

I don't think there's necessarily an issue with the company other than
the usual caveats - most businesses in China have terrible websites.