Topics

Ot 345kv substation walkthrough

John Williams

I apologize for the off topic post, but I figured this is a good COVID-boredom reliever. And not your everyday tour either.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/345-kv-substation-walkthrough/

We think our voltages are high. Wow this I pretty amazing.

John Williams

Here is the second video. This fellow seems to walk around without fear in this place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_rel_end&v=XB3MsBkCGLQ

Frank DuVal

Well, it is easy to walk around without fear, just do not POINT at things with corona.....;-)

I worked in 500 kV substations several times. The best part is parking under the 500 kV power lines, getting out, then placing hand back onto car lightly. It's vibrating!

Frank DuVal

On 9/29/2020 7:15 PM, John Williams wrote:
Here is the second video. This fellow seems to walk around without fear in this place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_rel_end&v=XB3MsBkCGLQ

Greg Muir

It's time to put on your Faraday suit and go to work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MiK4Jnx4s

Greg

greenboxmaven

Those people are exceptionally nimble and brave, they earn ever penny they get. The greatest danger, however, is probably not the high voltage, but rather the helicopter. Hovering at that low altitude with zero forward speed means a slim chance to clear the power lines, enter autorotation, and make a successful landing if something goes wrong. I have had a few helicopter lessons, and the scariest part is during take off when you have lifted off and don't yet have much forward speed . Low altitude is maintained until you do, but it is still risky.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 10/1/20 1:13 PM, Greg Muir via groups.io wrote:
It's time to put on your Faraday suit and go to work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MiK4Jnx4s

Greg

Greg Muir

It only takes a little wind gust to throw things out of whack. And nicking your tail rotor is not good either.

When working on a contract with Denver Police many years ago had a chopper take off from a helipad next to the police building in the center of town. He was just barely gaining altitude when a little wind gust came around the corner of the nearby building spinning him around and catching the tail rotor on a nearby structure. He set down rather fast and awkward missing everything else. The good side was that he walked away from it.

Greg

John Williams

Greg recall in 2014 at KOMO in Seattle when their news helicopter lifted off the roof and crashed. Same story I suspect.

https://komonews.com/news/local/2-killed-as-komo-news-helicopter-crashes-near-space-needle-11-20-2015

Greg Muir

It wasn't, John. I saw the Seattle report. That was Seattle in 2014. This one I was st was Denver in 1973 at the convention center helipad.

Greg