Option 7 for DC-508A

Does anyone happen to have a PDF of the instructions that accompanied the Tektronix 040-0789-00 field modification kit for adding Option 7 to the DC-508 or DC-508A counters?

Bruce, KG6OJI

Greg Muir

I unfortunately don’t have any documentation on this option but you might gain a little information by going here:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/topic/dc508_help_with_photos_option/30289354

Greg

Nenad Filipovic

I don't have the original PDF, but I compiled and posted instructions some time ago on the group in a thread named "DC508A Option 7 installation guide":
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/167339
Photos and instruction documents:
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/DC508A%20Option%207%20installation%20guide

Nenad

Thomas Voshell

I have a DC508A with option 7. I have never used it. It is used with a spec-a and/or a tracking generator to provide a readout of the frequency indicated by a “dot” on the spec-a screen. It is described on pp#6-1 & 6-2 of the DC508A instruction manual.
Apparently, there are modifications to your TM500 series power module as well.

TomV (KD7OEN)

My thanks to Greg, Nenad, and Thomas for providing all of the detailed information. I had never seen the TekScopes article about the TR-502 and found it most interesting.

I have a TR-502, but have converted it to act as a TR-503 for use with a 494 spectrum analyzer, where the frequency reading dot feature is not available. My interest in Option 7 was largely one of curiosity, with the thought that a successor-owner of this TR502 might wish to convert it back by reinstalling the enclosed original crystal and re-tuning the cavities.

My first impression was that providing Option 7 required adding an additional circuit board to the DC-508 counter. Then in looking at the DC-508 I saw the board was actually in place and it seemed necessary to only to add a few components. But then my ambitions were quieted when I saw the myriad of connections that must be added. I think I'll let a successor-owner worry about this.

Bruce, KG6OJI

Ed (SCSKITS)

The DC502 has a separate option 7 PCB that is not supplied with the base unit.
Option 7 on the DC502 also requires multiple wires soldered to the main PCB and some trace cuts if I remember correctly.requires.