Topics

Old Tektronix Books

Roy Morgan

Dave and others,

I was lucky to get a copy of "Typical Oscilloscope Circuits”, and have read about half of it.

I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

Does anyone know?

On Mar 30, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@...> wrote:
I found my copy of "Typical Oscilloscope Circuits" in a surplus parts store decades ago.
Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW

I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

1961 publication eliminates some.

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

Rolynn

Dave Wise

Where? I found the Concepts series, but Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry is not a Concepts book.

Thanks,
Dave Wise
I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

1961 publication eliminates some.

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

Rolynn

Dave Daniel

Where what?

DaveD

Sent from a small flat thingy

On May 21, 2019, at 20:26, Dave Wise <david_wise@...> wrote:

Where? I found the Concepts series, but Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry is not a Concepts book.

Thanks,
Dave Wise
I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

1961 publication eliminates some.

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

Rolynn

Dave Wise

The "Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry" book. Rolynn said it was at w140 ("TekWiki"), but I couldn't find it so I asked him where it was in the w140 site.

Dave Wise
Where? I found the Concepts series, but Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry is not a Concepts book.

Thanks,
Dave Wise
I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

1961 publication eliminates some.

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

Rolynn

Dave Daniel

Thanks for clarifying that.

I thought there was copy on the TekWiki as well. When I saw that there wasn’t, I went to upload my copy. It was at that point that I discovered that (a) I don’t seem to have a copy and (2) I could not find a copy online.

I still think I had a PDF copy at one time.

FaveD

On May 22, 2019, at 12:09, Dave Wise <david_wise@...> wrote:

The "Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry" book. Rolynn said it was at w140 ("TekWiki"), but I couldn't find it so I asked him where it was in the w140 site.

Dave Wise
Where? I found the Concepts series, but Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry is not a Concepts book.

Thanks,
Dave Wise
I wonder what scope the schematic examples are taken from. They certainly look genuine.

1961 publication eliminates some.

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

Rolynn

ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW

The "Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry" book. Rolynn said it was at w140 ("TekWiki"), but I couldn't find it so I asked him where it was in the w140 site.

Not even close.

Rolynn said that the:

1961 publication eliminates some.
(1961 publication date eliminates some of the scopes from where the schematics came from)

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

(the manuals for the potential scope candidates are on TekWiki and to do your own detective work to find out which instrument schematics are in the book)

Clear as a bell - to me.

Rolynn

Dave Wise

Guilty. Oops. I guess I skipped words and saw what I wished were true.

I know I've read Typical Oscilloscope Circuitry. The physical book, in my hands. But I'm pretty sure I don't own a copy. It's a mystery.
Worldcat.org indicates several libraries with copies, including, for you in northwest Oregon, Pacific University in Forest Grove. You can probably get it via inter-library loan.

Rolynn said that the:

1961 publication eliminates some.
(1961 publication date eliminates some of the scopes from where the schematics came from)

The power supply might be a 531/535/541 but I'm not going to spend any time with this since the manuals are on TekWiki.

(the manuals for the potential scope candidates are on TekWiki and to do your own detective work to find out which instrument schematics are in the book)

Clear as a bell - to me.

Rolynn

treasurer@...

Someone in my copy of Typical Scope Circuitry ( Third printing October 1966 revision - forth printing 1968 ) has neatly indicated the scope models on the schematics. Figure 12-20 is marked 531 CRT circuit which agrees with the manual. Figure 12-16 is 531A & 545A. 11-3 is marked 531A. Figure 11-8 is 531A & 545A. 11-12 is 531A & 545A. I didn't verify the A scope versions. The spine of the book has the squared CRT in the logo whilst the front page has the round CRT in logo. When did they begin using the new logo?
Bruce

Roy Morgan

On May 23, 2019, at 12:31 PM, treasurer@... wrote:

Someone in my copy of Typical Scope Circuitry ( Third printing October 1966 revision - forth printing 1968 ) has neatly indicated the scope models on the schematics. Figure 12-20 is marked 531 CRT circuit which agrees with the manual. Figure 12-16 is 531A & 545A. 11-3 is marked 531A. Figure 11-8 is 531A & 545A. 11-12 is 531A & 545A. I didn't verify the A scope versions. The spine of the book has the squared CRT in the logo whilst the front page has the round CRT in logo. When did they begin using the new logo?
Bruce
Bruce, Thanks for posting this information. I’ll include it in my copy of the book.

I just did a bookseller search (amazon and ABE Books) and find only two or three copies available, one at $12.50 and two at about $40.00. I guess is is an uncommon book. I was lucky to get mine for about $10 just after the discussion here started.\

I now have an extra copy of the book, and plan to offer it on the list, but I am not sure what price to ask!

Roy

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

Dave Daniel

bookfinder.com is a good resource for finding used books. Results from bookfinder.com include books listed on ABEbooks, Alibris, Amazon and others.

Personally, I don’t buy books from Amazon’s listings because the descriptions of the books listed there are rary accurate.