Off topic help needed- Batteries that don't fit

Dave Seiter

I came across a similar problem last week with a postal scale I purchased about three years ago- the off brand batteries (Midi-Max) it came with still worked, but the lower voltage meant that the scale took longer to zero out, and it drifted somewhat during usage.  The problem was that the new AAA cells (Costco/Duracell) are .005-.010" larger in diameter then the originals, so when tried to force them into the the plastic tray, I was fighting up to a .02" interference fit.  I had to peel off the heat-shrink labels in order to get them to fit. (difficult, because there's also an adhesive under the plastic)  Even then they were a tight fit.  A dead Energizer cell I found had about the same diameter as the Duracell, and some other cheap batteries I have from somewhere ("Gritty" brand) were .01" smaller than the Midi-max's.  I don't know if there is an international standard for battery sizes, but it was clear to me that the battery holder was designed using the smaller, off brand batteries as a reference.
-Dave

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 12:12:13 PM PDT, stevenhorii <sonodocsch@gmail.com> wrote:
s. The only thing to be aware of is that
they are slightly larger in diameter than alkaline or NiMH cells. I have a
smoke detector that uses AA batteries and they would not fit.

Jim Ford

Pretty chumpy if you ask me, if the battery holder is so tight that 0.005-0.010" larger diameter batteries don't fit. Those metal battery clips you'd expect to take up a lot more slop than that. Maybe the plastic battery compartment in your scale is too small?

Jim Ford

------ Original Message ------
From: "Dave Seiter" <d.seiter@att.net>
To: "TekScopes@groups.io" <TekScopes@groups.io>
Sent: 6/29/2021 1:50:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Off topic help needed- Batteries that don't fit

[...]

The batteries are held in two troughs (two cells each) molded into the bottom of the display unit of the scale. Everything but the contacts are plastic.  The original batteries were easy to pull out, but I'd need a small screwdriver or similar to pry out the new ones.  It's just a poorly executed design.  It's possible that it was designed for .4" battery diameter and they forgot to add any "wiggle room".  The cells I measured vary from ~.406" to .372"; the four "Gritty" batteries are totally inconsistent- every one has varying dimensions, almost like they were rolled by hand (Chinese prison labor?)
-Dave

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 02:55:23 PM PDT, Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

[...]

Gritty is a good name for them!  LOL!        JimSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dave Seiter <d.seiter@att.net> Date: 6/29/21 4:06 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Off topic help needed- Batteries that don't fit The batteries are held in two troughs (two cells each) molded into the bottom of the display unit of the scale. Everything but the contacts are plastic.  The original batteries were easy to pull out, but I'd need a small screwdriver or similar to pry out the new ones.  It's just a poorly executed design.  It's possible that it was designed for .4" battery diameter and they forgot to add any "wiggle room".  The cells I measured vary from ~.406" to .372"; the four "Gritty" batteries are totally inconsistent- every one has varying dimensions, almost like they were rolled by hand (Chinese prison labor?)-Dave    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 02:55:23 PM PDT, Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote: Pretty chumpy if you ask me, if the battery holder is so tight that 0.005-0.010" larger diameter batteries don't fit.  Those metal battery clips you'd expect to take up a lot more slop than that.  Maybe the plastic battery compartment in your scale is too small?Jim Ford------ Original Message ------From: "Dave Seiter" <d.seiter@att.net>To: "TekScopes@groups.io" <TekScopes@groups.io>Sent: 6/29/2021 1:50:30 PMSubject: Re: [TekScopes] Off topic help needed- Batteries that don't fit>  I came across a similar problem last week with a postal scale I purchased about three years ago- the off brand batteries (Midi-Max) it came with still worked, but the lower voltage meant that the scale took longer to zero out, and it drifted somewhat during usage.  The problem was that the new AAA cells (Costco/Duracell) are .005-.010" larger in diameter then the originals, so when tried to force them into the the plastic tray, I was fighting up to a .02" interference fit.  I had to peel off the heat-shrink labels in order to get them to fit. (difficult, because there's also an adhesive under the plastic)  Even then they were a tight fit.  A dead Energizer cell I found had about the same diameter as the Duracell, and some other cheap batteries I have from somewhere ("Gritty" brand) were .01" smaller than the Midi-max's.  I don't know if there is an international standard for battery sizes, but it was clear to me that the battery holder was designed using the smaller, off brand batteries as a reference.>-Dave>    On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 12:12:13 PM PDT, stevenhorii <sonodocsch@gmail.com> wrote:>  s. The only thing to be aware of is that>they are slightly larger in diameter than alkaline or NiMH cells. I have a>smoke detector that uses AA batteries and they would not fit.>>>>>

bill koski

I've read that Duracell pushes the size of their cells to the limit to get last little bit of guts into their batteries to help get the longest life.
I had a Genie garage door opener and they cautioned against using Duracell 9V batteries in the remote because of size issues.
I also have some cheap LED desk lights that take 3 D cells. It's hard to get the battery door on and it bulges slightly with Duracell but Eveready fits OK

Pitpat

Hi!
Is your scale new? ( or at least from this decade)
From what i know there are some kind of plastic that could expand with time and humidity.

Dave Seiter

It's about 3 years old.

On Sunday, July 4, 2021, 08:44:29 AM PDT, Pitpat <fede.ianna@live.it> wrote:

Hi!
Is your scale new? ( or at least from this decade)
From what i know there are some kind of plastic that could expand with time and humidity.