Odd 453A on ebay UK

John

There's a guy listing a 453A scope which appears to be equipped with the CRT from a 453 (6 div vertical, not 8). The current ad is a relistng as it didn't sell last week. I contacted him before the auction ended and politely pointed out this anomaly, but received a very hostile response (reproduced below). Someone else had a go with similar response. He's also stated categorically that no scope ever made has the graticule on the inside face. He may be a flat-earther? Perhaps someone else would like to have a try...

"The tube doesn’t have any divisions , the escutcheon plate does . Further , I and my late father have owned this for many a long year Since 1989 to be precise . It has never been modified , I don’t think you actually know what you are talking about , so kindly , don’t message me again"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203298773994

Geoffrey Thomas

It just doesn't look right, that crt appears to be slotted into the space where another crt once lived. Maybe his late dad replaced the original crt when it failed?

Geoff.

On 10/03/2021 10:58, John via groups.io wrote:
There's a guy listing a 453A scope which appears to be equipped with the CRT from a 453 (6 div vertical, not 8). The current ad is a relistng as it didn't sell last week. I contacted him before the auction ended and politely pointed out this anomaly, but received a very hostile response (reproduced below). Someone else had a go with similar response. He's also stated categorically that no scope ever made has the graticule on the inside face. He may be a flat-earther? Perhaps someone else would like to have a try...
"The tube doesn’t have any divisions , the escutcheon plate does . Further , I and my late father have owned this for many a long year Since 1989 to be precise . It has never been modified , I don’t think you actually know what you are talking about , so kindly , don’t message me again"
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203298773994

Dave Voorhis

I asked about that. I wrote:

"The CRT has clearly been replaced with a smaller than original replacement. Do you know what the replacement CRT is from?

Have there been any other replacements and/or modifications?

Thanks!"

I got the following rather snarky response:

"The CRT has never been replaced while I have owned it since 1989 , purchased from Stewart’s of Reading and I have no reason to believe it ever has . You got X-Ray Vision ? 😂 all you can see is the screen and the fitted escutcheon. Kindly end this pointless discussion now thanks , it’s the third time I’ve had some ( in my view) Anorak querying why the tube ( which you cannot actually see, other than the visible screen ) has been replaced . End of discussion, I’m too old and too indifferent to your opinions to care . BYE! 🙋🏻‍♂️ Stay Safe and Stay Well 🙏"

I won't be bidding, though this is better than one I saw a while back with what appeared to be a piece of cardboard in place of a CRT.

From: Geoffrey Thomas <geoffreythomas@onetel.com>
Date: 03/10/2021 7:39 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: TekScopes@groups.io

[...]

Yes, sent him a photo of a "normal" 453A and a link to the Tek Wiki site. He's in some kind of denial I think.
John

And don't forget a pic of earth...

cheers
Martin

Michael W. Lynch

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:37 PM, John wrote:

He's in some kind of denial I think.
Just another Grumpy old fart. Too set in his ways to consider that he just might be wrong.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dave Wise

?It's clearly the wrong CRT hacked in. It's visibly rotated, and worse, there are five divisions visible to the left of the center line and only four divisions to the right.

Dave Wise

________________________________
You know that you can include a picture in your
questions...right?

Yes, sent him a photo of a "normal" 453A and a link to the Tek Wiki site. He's in some kind of denial I think.
John

Tom Lee

Ah yes, the famous 453 designed by Salvador Dali.

Sent from my iThing, so please forgive typos and brevity.

On Mar 10, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

?It's clearly the wrong CRT hacked in. It's visibly rotated, and worse, there are five divisions visible to the left of the center line and only four divisions to the right.

Dave Wise

________________________________
You know that you can include a picture in your
questions...right?

Yes, sent him a photo of a "normal" 453A and a link to the Tek Wiki site. He's in some kind of denial I think.
John

John

Well, it's now listed for (minimum) third time.
Desciption states it's a "dual beam" scope, so I do hope someone can politely correct him on this: don't want it sold and then rejected as "not as described" , do we?
john

Michael W. Lynch

From the sound of the previous attempts to inform the seller, I doubt that anyone will be successful with any "correction". This is the "Thing that won't go away".

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

I wonder if it's possible to report him to ebay (selling items that are not as described)...
On the other hand, they are unlikely to care since all they are interested in is their hefty commission.

Mlynch001

The sad thing is, the seller seems unwilling to even consider that he could be wrong. I have run into such people on E-Bay, (and elsewhere). I just move on or sometimes watch the show from the sidelines.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dave Seiter

I tried also...   Apparently, I'm an "anorak".  Confused; I politely asked why he was calling me a parka.  It went downhill from there.  He's an angry individual.
-Dave

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:53:34 PM PDT, Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:

The sad thing is, the seller seems unwilling to even consider that he could be wrong.  I have run into such people on E-Bay, (and elsewhere).  I just move on or sometimes watch the show from the sidelines.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dave Wise

?I'm an anorak too! We're all anoraks!

Dave Anorak Wise

________________________________
I tried also... Apparently, I'm an "anorak". Confused; I politely asked why he was calling me a parka. It went downhill from there. He's an angry individual.
-Dave
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:53:34 PM PDT, Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:

The sad thing is, the seller seems unwilling to even consider that he could be wrong. I have run into such people on E-Bay, (and elsewhere). I just move on or sometimes watch the show from the sidelines.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dave Seiter

When I looked it up, I decided that yes, he was right on target, but don't most people have odd hobbies?  Everyone I know who's actually interesting has at least one.
My name is Dave, and I too am an Anorak