Topics

Obsolete Motorola IC

Simon

I have a faulty frequency counter (not Tektronix) which has some obsolete Motorola ICs. There is one that I suspect : MC1217L, a 14 pin DIL which I think is a Motorola ECL device, but I cannot find any data on it. They are still available, but at a price and I am not not keen to shot gun it without knowing what it is supposed to do. Does anyone have any information on this IC?. TIA.
Simon

Bruce Griffiths

On 14 October 2020 at 00:00 tenareze32@... wrote:

I have a faulty frequency counter (not Tektronix) which has some obsolete Motorola ICs. There is one that I suspect : MC1217L, a 14 pin DIL which I think is a Motorola ECL device, but I cannot find any data on it. They are still available, but at a price and I am not not keen to shot gun it without knowing what it is supposed to do. Does anyone have any information on this IC?. TIA.
Simon

Simon

Wow so fast, thanks a lot, I will now do some signal checking on the pins.
Simon

Dewey Wyatt

4 star electronics show 175 in stock.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 7:39 AM <tenareze32@...> wrote:

Wow so fast, thanks a lot, I will now do some signal checking on the pins.
Simon

-

I checked my 1980 and 1985 IC Masters and my 1969 Motorola Data Book and
that part isn't listed in any of them. Do you know what year it was made?

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:00 AM <tenareze32@...> wrote:

I have a faulty frequency counter (not Tektronix) which has some obsolete
Motorola ICs. There is one that I suspect : MC1217L, a 14 pin DIL which I
think is a Motorola ECL device, but I cannot find any data on it. They are
still available, but at a price and I am not not keen to shot gun it
without knowing what it is supposed to do. Does anyone have any information
on this IC?. TIA.
Simon

Sergey Kubushyn

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, - wrote:

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/download.php?id=24af7b4875fe916a340b52c0b1a28a25290338&type=M&term=MC1217

Semiconductor Chips Data Book 1976

Original Datasheet:

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/download.php?id=7b929e1860155dcbea0ef7190775fa4409345f&type=M&term=MC1217

I checked my 1980 and 1985 IC Masters and my 1969 Motorola Data Book and
that part isn't listed in any of them. Do you know what year it was made?

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 7:00 AM <tenareze32@...> wrote:

I have a faulty frequency counter (not Tektronix) which has some obsolete
Motorola ICs. There is one that I suspect : MC1217L, a 14 pin DIL which I
think is a Motorola ECL device, but I cannot find any data on it. They are
still available, but at a price and I am not not keen to shot gun it
without knowing what it is supposed to do. Does anyone have any information
on this IC?. TIA.
Simon

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

boid_twitty

It's in the 1968 'Integrated Circuit Data Book' (in hard cover. Or at least the MC1217F is

Saturated Logic input (6.2V to 1.2V switching) - ECL output
Quad input positive logic OR. (four diodes with common anode internally)
3,4,5,6 to 1
9,10,11,12 to13.
8 - Vcc (provides input bias only - 750R pull-up at internal common anode)
14 - gnd
7 - Vee
2 - Vbb. .

RL

boid_twitty

The 1968 data (OR) seems to argue with the 1966 data (NOR).

A low level input on any of the inputs gives you a low level output.

RL

Simon

I revised my view that the counter was faulty in the light of this information. The unit is essentially designed as a prescaler (÷10, ÷100, ÷1000). and for counting requires an external timebase. The MC1217 converts the TTL gating signal into ECL at the first stage of the prescaler (÷10). The ÷100 and ÷1000 are standard TTL. I have tested it to 100 MHz although I think it will work up to 200 MHz. Too fast for the 74XX chips. The MC1217 is doing its job properly. Thanks to all for your input.
Simon

Leo Potjewijd

The 1968 data (OR) seems to argue with the 1966 data (NOR).
A low level input on any of the inputs gives you a low level output.
Euh... that looks like an AND gate to me...
An (N)OR does not change output state until all inputs are low: the OR
goes low, the NOR goes high.

Jean-Paul

Beware all ECL is ESD suseptible, use static precautions

Jon

boid_twitty

All inputs 'high' to get a 'high' output sounds like 'positive logic'
AND, to me, too.

I'm guessing that ECL and 'positive logic' aren't obviously compatible
terms.

I just follow the schematic, or truth table.

RL

Fabe

Isn't ECL (emitter coupled logic) is based in bipolar trannies and not CMOS? It's the HV of static electricity that breaks down those MOSFET oxide gates etc. The RCA 4000 series were simply terrible like that? Parasitic protective diodes where never used at that time (the '70's) and even today..... you don't rely on anyone to look over your shoulder.

One curse of death to avoid is to ever take anything lightly to ever use Styrofoam as an IC taxi station. That material is a static electricity hog! That's even when you see it wrapped up in tin foil. I learned as a tech..... only to have my nose rubbed in it,

For those thinking of EBay.... I got a few darts in the tail from buying factory rejects from China or parts improperly stored. Electronic replacement parts is ultimately a no return world.

Fabe

Fabian Hartery, B.Eng (Electrical)36 Chamberlains Road
Conception Bay South, NL
A1W 5E9, Canadafabian_hartery@...
tel: 709-834-3575

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 11:54:57 a.m. NDT, Jean-Paul <jonpaul@...> wrote:

Beware all ECL is ESD suseptible, use static precautions

Jon

Stephen Hanselman

Just to add a bit more paranoia. HP, in their 3000/6x,7x computers, used ECL for the high speed "ROM" memory. They did not use normal ROMs but loaded what they called Writable Control Store (WCS) from disc each time the computer was started. They told us (field CEs) that the two boards consisted of 100K ECL, as opposed to the 10K ECL in the rest of the CPU, which would blow up "with a cross look". Later they proved the smaller 4KB board was so sensitive that cosmic rays, yes it was "cosmic", caused the memory to forget what was stored in them.

You really have to use ALL of that bothersome anti-stat stuff or the chips will die

Steve

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 06:32 PM, boid_twitty wrote:

All inputs 'high' to get a 'high' output sounds like 'positive logic'
AND, to me, too.

I'm guessing that ECL and 'positive logic' aren't obviously compatible
terms.
"High" and "Positive Logic" are not directly linked to the power supply being positive (like TTL, CMOS, PECL) or negative (like ECL, MECL, HECL) with respect to Ground but whether a logic "1" is associated with the more positive or the more negative voltage level.
IOW, in negative logic, a gate where the output is at its most negative only when all inputs are at their most negative level is an AND gate as well, just in negative logic.
IOW again, "positive" or "negative" logic indicates the choice in interpretation of voltage levels as "1" or "0" and as such is not dependent on logic family.
"Positive logic" and positive supply voltages are most common and convenient but nothing different by principle. Choices have been made for all common logic families.
With ordinary ECL, the logic voltages are more stable against the more positive supply rail than against the negative supply rail, so the noise margin is better if the logic voltage is interpreted against the positive supply rail. This is the main reason why normal ECL uses a positive ground.

Raymond