Topics

Nice Document Site with Tek manuals; New to me

I just discovered a new (to me) source for documentation and I am scratching
my head wondering why it took me so long to stumble across it since he says
his archive has been available since 2007 and it contains over
11,000manuals.
At first glance it appears to have as much as The Boat Anchor Archive.
I haven't had a chance to explore what it offers us but there are 637
documents / manuals / etc listed for Tektronix.
It has a very nice, clean web interface.

The Tek documents start at
https://www.opweb.de/english/company/Tektronix

The home page is at
https://www.opweb.de/english/home

The owner is:
Oliver Poggensee
Zeppelinplatz 1
25335 Elmshorn
Germany

This is what Oliver says on the site's home page:
I am happy to welcome you on my site. This download archive has been
available since 2007. Starting with a few hundred manuals, there are now
well over 11,000, and new ones are added every month. I have designed these
pages to help all people who own and use old electronic devices. So that
they can be maintained, serviced and repaired more easily, quickly and
professionally. No matter if it is a radio, a television or a measuring
device. The main focus of these pages is on older devices, but you can also
find some technical documentation for newer devices here. With my own search
for good download possibilities I often found fake pages, where you can't
download the manual you are looking for, or dubious dealers selling the
manuals that are actually freely available, I want to counter this with my
site. I hope that you will use this offer actively and that it is useful for
you. All manuals here are completely free and can be downloaded directly
without any restrictions.

Do you have any manuals or images of your device, please upload it here and
share it with others .

I have taken the effort to collect all information available about the
respective manuals. There is for example a preview of the first page, the
page number, date of publication and many other information.

I don't want to compete with professional schematic services, most manuals
are of medium to low quality, not comparable to the high resolution scans of
professional service providers. All manuals have been provided by users from
various sources. I have attempted not to publish material from professional
service providers here, but if there is material from a professional service
here, I will delete it as soon as possible. For this purpose a short message
is sufficient.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

n4buq

Nice! That's a really great site. First time I've seen a freebie for an HP 410C where the full schematics and parts layouts are on full-sheet scans.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

tgerbic

I am not sure if I am happy or disappointed about this site. I did a spot check on the HP manuals ( I have a comprehensive list of over 100 I scanned and uploaded) and found that every one I checked are scans I did for the hparchive.com. The differences are that they have the acknowledgements removed, some front/back covers removed, and in some cases a little cosmetic work. Some have the color in the text removed. A good example is the HP 1704B Service or the 130B/BR.
I guess the upside is that the scans are being used, so they have some value.

I have been scouring the web for 20 years looking for Tek, HP, Heathkit, and many other manuals and I cannot remember seeing this exact site with this navigation/color. It looks a bit like another that had similar content. It might have been there with a different web layout. Have to look back at my saved links.

Interesting comment on full-sheet scans. I will often do full sheet if it will fit on my scanner (scans up to 11.7 x 16.5), or will do overlaping 16.5 scans if over that. Most people cannot print these out and they are a bit small on most monitors so I have gotten feedback to break these up.

I provided the 410C alternative 1 and 2 manuals on the hparchive which are very clear but I did break up the schematics to make them large and legible. Are they unusable like that?

/Tony

n4buq

Hi Tony,

The multipage scans are not exactly unuseful, but there is one for the 410C that is rather difficult to follow due to the number of lines that cross from one sheet to the next and seeing that on in a single sheet was rather nice.

I was referring mostly to the sheets where there's a schematic, a drawing of the board, and perhaps a table that are rather a bit more convenient on the same page. You're correct, though, in that most folks don't have a home printer capable of much more than an 8.5" x 11" size so even if there are full size scans, it's pretty much necessary to view them on the computer as opposed to printing them out.

I sure hope the work you did scanning manuals hasn't been used for some other purpose than it was intended.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

John Ferguson

Stupid me.

I print them out and tape them together.  Sometimes this doesn't work too well because the scans are not all the same scale.  The print routine for our hp-Envy has a scaling function, which can save the day eventually when confronted with schematics are broken up where there are 30 runs which cross the joint between two scans which weren't done to same scale.

tgerbic

Dennis,
I checked my links and see I visited the opweb.de site in the past and they had a different link icon and page when I originally saved the link. Guess that site has been around for at least a decade.

John,
I do the same thing with wide pages. I have an HP printer that can print out to probably 54 inches in length but I am just too lazy (cheap) to buy long paper. I tape them up too. This has made me learn to scan wide schematics with the save area preselected and just move the paper. When I print out 11X17 sheets, they can just be taped together in a convenient spot. However, I do tend to take the board layouts and charts and enlarge them to be sure they are really clear, and image edit the photos and waveform photos to make the contrast so you can read them clearly.

Berry,
The HP scans were intended to put on the HP Archive site but in the end they were intended to be high quality scans, with OCR, to be used by people like us fixing old test equipment. So I guess they are in a good spot. This is true for any scans besides HP as well.

I scan what I have and post in various places but there is still a lot of equipment out there with poor scans or no scans to be found. You should check out Artek Manuals if you can't find what you want on line. I have bought a few from the site and the prices are reasonable. Think about spending a week or month looking for a clean PDF verses spending about $8 to $12 to just get the manual and get back to troubleshooting.

Paul Amaranth

I got tired up cutting and pasting schematics and picked up a inkjet
plotter/printer off of craigslist for $50. Now I can print things up
to 36 inches wide. It really helps sometimes to blow things up a bit
and tack them on the wall. Like everything I buy it did need a little
work, but not all that much.

You can use panorama software to stitch schematics back together, but
it's something of a pain.

I much prefer single scan schematics, they're much easier to manipulate.

Paul

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 06:34:55PM -0700, tgerbic wrote:

Interesting comment on full-sheet scans. I will often do full sheet if it will fit on my scanner (scans up to 11.7 x 16.5), or will do overlaping 16.5 scans if over that. Most people cannot print these out and they are a bit small on most monitors so I have gotten feedback to break these up.

I provided the 410C alternative 1 and 2 manuals on the hparchive which are very clear but I did break up the schematics to make them large and legible. Are they unusable like that?

/Tony

!DSPAM:5ed309c8170021267330973!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

Roy Thistle

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 10:14 PM, tgerbic wrote:

I visited the opweb.de site in the past and they had a different link icon and
page when I originally saved the link.
Hi Tony, Dennis, .et al.:
Yes... I think I remember that... seeing the old site... and I've run across this newer? site many times... as a result of a DuckDuckGo search... but, I never trusted it because of the garish webpage layout... that IMO...is usually associated with a crude website exploit.
There is a ton of exploit sites that always turn up when searching for manuals/pdfs.
Best regards and wishes.
Roy

Hi Tony,
The very reason Tek designed their manuals with large sheets for their schematics was because there is a lot of circuitry on each page. Tek is widely recognized as creating the finest service manuals in the industry because they recognized what the schematics required for clarity was to be printed on a large format sheet of paper. In October 2012 I was at the vintageTEK Museum when I noticed a new printer they had. I asked why they needed it since they already several Tek Phaser printers. Ed explained they recently bought this Brother MFC-J5910DW inkjet printer when because it could print the ledger size schematics and it was incredibly cheap. The list price was $200 but it was less than $150 with the rebates. In addition to printing anything in color from 4"x6" to 11"x17" (double-sided too!) it is a multifunction Fax/Scanner/copier with built in wireles capability. I immediately bought one myself so I could print the schematics full size.
For troubleshooting Tek scopes and instruments I prefer the original manuals but when I can't get them the first thing I do is print out a full size 11"x17" schematic and the parts locator tables from a PDF. This printer is still going strong 8 years later. It lived up to my expectations and I still cannot figure out why it was so inexpensive.

There are pros and cons to breaking the schematic and parts layout pages into several 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. The only real solution is to provide full size scans and broken up scans to keep everybody happy.

I won't buy a CD that doesn't have full size schematics. Try following a signal that starts on the left side of a schematic in a maze of other components as it goes off the page on the right (with no way to distinguish it from any other connection on the schematic). Now you have to find the next page of the schematic and figure out where it is on the left of that sheet and you have to remember how that signal may have been modified back on the previous sheet. Then factor in how often the signal will reach the end of schematic and continue on another different schematic elsewhere in the manual that then requires the same process all over again. This required the user to perform a totally unnecessary tedious, error prone eye / brain test. You cannot fully understand a schematic that is broken up across 2 or 3 sheets of paper unless you print out each sheet and tape the pieces back together in order to see the big picture.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

tgerbic

Folks,

I have an HP Business 2800 Inkjet which will print out full size Tek or HP schematics as well but I suspect we are more of an exception.

However for us with larger printers or monitors, I thought I would do a little experimenting with the schematics and attached a version that could be useful on 11x17 paper. I thought I would experiment with some better ways to handle the eye-test parallel connections.

It can be found here: https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/files/Enhanced%20Schematics/410C%20Range%20Function%20schematics.pdf

What do you think? I could take either of the schematics and turn it into an ~11x30 printout. I suspect anyone that uses this would probably use it with a monitor and in this case having the two versions right on the monitor would be useful. When I get some time, I will have to look over some of my old HP and Tek scans to see if this would be useful to provide.

In any case I also have an HP 410C and will probably use this if I have any problems.

I know this is a bit off topic for the Tek site but the feedback is useful for those of us that provide some of the scans used for many of the equipment sites. If by some chance you are not on the HP group and cannot get the schematic, please send me a private message. Does not make sense to post on the Tek site.

Regards

Tom Gardner

For the larger circuit diagrams, I simply go to a local print shop and get them to print them on A3 paper.

Very cheap, very quick, very simple, and perfectly adequate on the few occasions when I need it.

My local hackspace also has some metre-wide printers  which nominally work, but I've never bothered to investigate that option.

On 01/06/20 01:47, tgerbic wrote:
Folks,

I have an HP Business 2800 Inkjet which will print out full size Tek or HP schematics as well but I suspect we are more of an exception.

David Hallam

I guess I missed the email about the manual site being discussed.  Would some one, please, repeat the address of the site.

David

KW4DH

[...]

Hi David,
Everyone should know how to do what I am about to explain since it is so handy:

At the bottom if each email you receive from TekScopes are 4 links. The first one in the email you just posted that I got says this:
View/Reply Online (#167699): https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/167699
If you click on that link it will take you to Groups.io and show you the message you just posted. At the bottom of that web page is another box that says
"View All 12 Messages In Topic"
Click on that and you can see everything written about it so far including my original post you are looking for,

Dennis Tillman W7pF