Topics

Newly acquired TDS5054B-NV-AV tips and advice wanted

Harold Foster

I just got this one in and all seems well. Best guess (original Tek cal date) puts the estimated vintage at around late 2006. Only issue that I can see is that the PCB seems to be slightly loose behind the top-right buttons - everything functions, but wiggles a bit. Other than that, all channels work and the self test and calibration routines pass.

So, what issues typically arise in these? I think the CMOS battery needs to be changed and I'll be inside to tighten the screws on the front board - is there any preventative maintenance or things to check while it is open? What about the availability of software upgrades?

In short, after a *long* string of bad luck (except, thankfully, for a couple of 2465B's and my LT344) i have what begun what I hope will be a happy long term new relationship with my main digital scope. (Which means a perfectly working LT344 with all options is available. Cough, cough.)

Anyway, all help, tips and advice will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Hal

Harold Foster

On a related note: What are the "NV" and "AV" in the name? I've seen scopes with just the "TDS5054B" but I can't find anything in the manuals to tie the additional labels in with options.

Hal

Allen

Sometime in the past, there was a Tektronix press release for this model. It was supplied on a 2005-2006 government contract, and was pretty much obsolete at that time. From what I recall, -NV signified Navy. I don't recall anything about the -AV suffix, but it clearly added a touchscreen option. They also had an 8 year warranty and accessories.

I have a -NV and -NV-AV. The original CMOS battery will require replacement since it dates from 2006. Memory, CPU, and SSD are some upgrades to consider. The 5000-series has one a potential EEPROM corruption problem where it loses calibration data. I haven't found a way to back up the EEPROM, and the only way to clear is to do a factory calibration.

It looks like the government has decided to clear out the remaining -NV's and -NV-AV's. I've seen bunches of them show up on eBay and dealer sites. In my opinion, they are a very decent scope for the money.

David Kuhn

" The 5000-series has one a potential EEPROM corruption problem where it
loses calibration data. I haven't found a way to back up the EEPROM, and
the only way to clear is to do a factory calibration."

And I would imagine that means having very expensive scope calibrating
equipment? A calibration DEPOT, such as Spectrum Technologies could be
able to do the calibration if the EEPROM corrupts?

Dave

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:14 PM Allen <@alshoemake> wrote:

[...]

This kept bugging me and bugging me. I just ordered one off of EBAY loaded
with probes, cover, clot top case, etc. I had to see one. I will use it
in my business and adapt programs to talk to it. I am a sucker for
Tektronix digital o-scopes for some strange reason. I have 2 or 3
TDS524A's that need fixed too, if I ever get to them (dumpster finds).

I am anxious to try out the TDS5054B-NV-AV! I need to learn about it now.