From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of snapdiode via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 9:37 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Fast probe prices?

Yes it should be good enough at those speeds, after all the 1S1 itself is built with leaded components. The ground connection is as responsible as anything to keep inductance down.

Unfortunately I often talk about PCB design, where you can easily add a probe resistor to a trace by putting its pad directly on the trace and use much smaller connectors like H.FL, etc.

This is how I probe fast stuff when it's my own designs.

Sometimes I guess I'm not clear about this when people are talking about flying lead probing on existing circuits.

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Dave Seiter

I thought that sounded familiar.  I've made a number of them, only had to buy a bunch of fiber washers.
-Dave

On Saturday, April 3, 2021, 03:58:49 PM PDT, Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

There is an extremely effective do-it-yourself solution to the high prices on eBay for GHz probes like the P6056 and P6057. Douglas C. Smith describes how to make your own out of readily available (at least in my case) stuff you may already have lying around. If not the materials cost will be less than $15 per test probe.
10 years ago I discovered this web site and thought it couldn't be this easy to make a 1GHz probe. I put my first one together in a few hours and proved it really is true. Since then I have built more than a dozen of these in all sorts of variations (it is extremely adaptable to different input impedance, attenuation, lead length, etc). My favorite reason why I love these is that they can be soldered directly onto a test point in your circuit for absolute minimum series inductance and ground bounce. You can't do that with a P6056/57 probe.
I highly recommend them!
emcesd.com/1ghzprob.htm#DC, emcesd.com/tt030100.htm

Dennis Tillman W7pF