Topics

New to me 7854.

Eric

I though I would take a look at restoring a 7584 as well and the unit got delivered today. It came with the keyboard and option 2D the memory upgrade. But there is always a catch it did not come with plugins. I have quite a few 7000 series plugins on the shelf that I can use it in but I am wondering what a typical plugin compliment would be from my early reading of the manual It looks like anything north of the 7B53 should work because of the short delay line or did this unit need special time bases due to the digitizer?

Harvey White

as far as I know, almost anything should work well with the note that the 7B87 is a preferred plugin for horizontal sweep because the trigger (AFAIK) is handled differently and is unique for this particular scope.  The 7B87 may be a bit rare.  While I don't have a 7854 (that what you meant?  If not, please ignore all of the above), that's what I've heard.  Do, perhaps one day, expect to have one.

Harvey

On 8/25/2020 9:05 PM, Eric wrote:
I though I would take a look at restoring a 7584 as well and the unit got delivered today. It came with the keyboard and option 2D the memory upgrade. But there is always a catch it did not come with plugins. I have quite a few 7000 series plugins on the shelf that I can use it in but I am wondering what a typical plugin compliment would be from my early reading of the manual It looks like anything north of the 7B53 should work because of the short delay line or did this unit need special time bases due to the digitizer?

Basically, the 7854 is just another 400 MHz analog mainframe with an added storage function that can be invoked when desired. A great majority of plugins work fine. One notable exception is the 7T11 sampling timebase plugin. You'd need a 7T11A or a 7T11 modified to a 7T11A. The storage function is very nice in combination with a 7T11A and a 7S11 with a vertical sampling head like an S-4. 14 GHz bandwidth! With most other sampling heads you need to provide a separate trigger/sync signal.

A 7854 with the 7B87 time base allows one-shot digitization, albeit at a very low sampling rate by today's standards.

In general, use the 7854 with just about any horizontal and vertical plugin and store your image if you want. The GPIB interface allows uploading to your computer. Compatible modern hardware and software exists.

All this before even using the Calculator (keyboard)!

Raymond

Chuck Harris

I use either a 7B87 or a 7B92A with my 7854.

Why? Well, the 7B87 won't do some things that
the 7B92A will, and vice versa. The '87 has a
sweep magnifier, but no natural sweeps faster
than 10ns/div... the '92A has no sweep magnifier,
but does have natural sweeps to 1ns/div...

I can't calibrate 2465B's with the '92A, but
can with the '87.

You can use any plugins you want with the 7854.
Any at all. Some are a little slow to show the
triggering part of the waveform.

The issue with some of the digital plugins is
a matter of storage. I don't use storage 99% of
the time with the 7854.

When I need storage, I use an old HP54645A.

-Chuck Harris