Topics

New member - Hi everyone!

Dave Peterson

Hello all,
I just joined yesterday after looking for a good forum group to connect with regarding my rekindled interest in Tektronix oscilloscopes.
My history with these scopes goes back to my Army days in the 80's. Since then I went on to get an engineering degree and have only gotten to get my hands on lab equipment on odd occasions while my "real" work consisted of sitting in front of computer screens fiddling with CAD tools. I can't say that was ever my first passion.
Currently, my first interest is the old 465 scope I used in the Army. There's just a personal synchronicity between their place in time, quality of design and construction, and gestalt that resonates with me. It's a thing that's stayed with me since I went back to school - that "real" engineering that harkens back to those "steely eyed missile men" of the 60's - the over the top thoroughness and precision I used to experience in the equipment I worked on in the Army. The 465 manual (my recent acquisition included one) is a great example. It just doesn't exist in the hurry up rush to market the tech industry has become.
Pardon my rose colored goggles.
After many years of wishing and looking hopefully at eBay I found and purchased a good deal on a working scope. I immediately fired it up and was right back in "the van" (see profile pic). Suddenly my garage bench is being turned into a electronics workstation. Just like I've always wanted.
Which brings me back to here: Now that I understand what's going on inside these things, and there are so many "parts" scopes out there, I find myself wanting to fixing them. As great as the manual is, there's just no substitute for the massive amount of knowledge out there. And that goes beyond particulars of 465 operation and repair. For example, where do I find parts!? So far I've been lucky, but I can tell some things are going to be hard to find.
I've already purchased a "parts" scope, but it's in such great physical condition that I can tell it's likely to become my real shop scope. I'm already deep into tearing it down. I has a bad B-delay time/div switch cam (already ordered NOS on eBay), a bad HV oscillator filter cap (C1419), and perhaps more. All very fixable. I'm documenting the tear down as much as I can. I haven't found any detailed instructions online so far, so I'm thinking I might write a "how to"? We'll see. I'll be glad to share if 'yall think it's a worthwhile endeavor.
In any case, I wanted to take the opportunity to say "Hi!". And Dennis suggested I introduce myself. Thanks for approving me Dennis! He also suggested I ask that 'yall fill out your bios. Please do check in on mine - a little more back-story in there. As Dennis says, he's just as guilty not having his filled out, but he noted that my having one helped him out. As he noted, this forum is full of fascinating individuals, and your backgrounds are so full of valuable experience that it's a shame to not share your wealth of knowledge with newbies like myself. I'm sure I'm just as much a quiet low key personality as the rest of 'ya. But I crack up when I look at the member directory. A bunch of pictures of myself looking back at me. I'd love to be able to peruse the bios and get to know you all.
I've blabbered on enough. Have a great evening, and I look forward to sharing and talking with you down the road.
Dave

Paul Amaranth

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 02:28:42AM +0000, Dave Peterson via groups.io wrote:
I've already purchased a "parts" scope, but it's in such great physical condition that I can tell it's likely to become my real shop scope. I'm already deep into tearing it down. I has a bad B-delay time/div switch cam (already ordered NOS on eBay), a bad HV oscillator filter cap (C1419), and perhaps more. All very fixable. I'm documenting the tear down as much as I can. I haven't found any detailed instructions online so far, so I'm thinking I might write a "how to"? We'll see. I'll be glad to share if 'yall think it's a worthwhile endeavor.
Welcome to the rabbit hole :-) That's how it starts ...

I have a lot of scopes but the 465 is one of my favorites. Once upon a time I only had one scope ...

Paul

Bill Perkins

Welcome to the rabbit hole :-) That's how it starts ...
Never mind, it's a warren long since . . .

I have a lot of scopes but the 465 is one of my favorites. Once
upon a time I only had one scope ...

Me too, see the link:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/07_Facility_Tour/hotlink-ok/Just_Bought_Another_Tek_Scope.jpg
Paul
Bill @ PEARL, Inc.

Welcome to the asylum ... I mean party!

You can get full documentation (as PDFs) on most Tek scopes at either TekWiki (w1f0.com/tekwiki) or at the Boat Anchor Manual Archive (bama.edebris.com).

Here is the TekWiki page for the 465: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/465
and the same at BAMA: https://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/465/

Careful, the TekWiki site, especially, is rocket fuel for the condition. I started out with two scopes that belonged to my father (a 475 and a 2213), that work more than well enough for my purposes (and could be made to work perfectly with the proper application of time, skill, and money). I now have half a dozen scopes, half of which are parts scopes for the 475, and two of which (a 475A and a 2215A) are completely new models that I lusted for after reading about them on TekWiki (and there is another that I am planning to buy, if I can just find a nice specimen at a reasonable price).

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave Seiter

Welcome!  The 465 is the only portable scope I have, and was a recent acquisition that I couldn't pass up ($20!).  Not entirely true I guess, as I also have a T912 and a NLS Miniscope.  It's a great piece of gear.  I always told myself I'd stay away from the portables because I had to draw the line somewhere....
Before long, you'll thinking "where did I put the 7844 with the 7CT1N?"
-Dave (another one)

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 06:29:06 PM PST, Dave Peterson via groups.io <davidpinsf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your welcome everyone. We (she and I) loved the meme.

Fortunately the first scope I got came with the basic 465 manual, with yellow/orange change pages. I'll be keeping that! I'll probably be posting specific questions soon. I'm waiting until I get through the tear-down of a parts scope I picked up locally. So far so good - haven't encountered anything I can work out for myself. I look forward to getting to know the group.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Peterson

Oh, I also meant to apologize for the lumped post. I wrote it as an email and had double spaced paragraphs. Should've written it in the group form directly. Live and learn.
D.

Jean-Paul

Dear David, welcome to the best TEK forum, our moderator Dennis Tilmann is a super TEK man, and many members are EX TEK or have decades of experience. Chuck Harris is especially skilled at troubleshooting and advise for hard problems.

Memories... first TEK scopes, 1968, were 500 series huge tube scopes and the first small portable just coming, 453/454. Used for designing real time spectrum analyzers.
In 1975, 465, 465B and 475, classics in their day.

By 19701 I started TEK TM500 instruments.

For HV and SMPS, got HV probes like P6015 and current probes P6021, P6022, etc.

Finally the FET and diff probes and by 1990s the Zo probes with GHz BW.

Nowadays lab mainframes are 7104 and 7904, with ~100 plugins, also spectrum analyzers 7L5 and 7L12 in 7903 large screen MF.

The 2465 was the last CRT scope from TEK before the digital, had 2465, 2465A, and now 2465B, 2467B.

Most are still running fine and a pleasure to work on and to use.

Just the ramblings of an old retired EE!

Jon