Topics

New cable for Tek P6042 current probe?

Staffan

Hello,

I have been lucky to find a P6042 current probe with a fully functional coil and hall sensor. The only band thing is that the cable to the sensor was broken in at least 7 places. It is repaired right now, but probably just a matter of time before it breaks in a new place.
Does anyone know of a working replacement cable? It features two coaxes/separately shielded lines and then at least five additional lines. All in an outer shield and. Outer diameter of the cable is 5 mm (0.2").

Regards,
Staffan

Jean-Paul

Hello Stefan where are you located I may have it, contact me off list via PM.

By the way the 6042 suffers from flaky transistor sockets and very unstable DC offset.

Kind Regards

Jon

snapdiode

There is no modern replacement AFAIK, it is unique to Tektronix. But I don't see why a new cable can't be made with modern things like flex heat shrink tubing and single wires.

My 6042 stopped working after a SINGLE probe drop of a few inches. It was an accident. So be careful!

Hi Staffan,
Search through our archives for "P6042". It has been a popular subject from time to time. On at least one occasion I remember someone suggesting an HDMI cable might work.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Sean Turner

Staffan,

I have a number of these probes. My best one was repaired by someone else, but he sent me extra cables in case I needed to repair another one. He used two RG-174 coaxes bundled with another unidentified shielded multiconductor cable using heat shrink every few inches. Works very well.

Belden makes a lot of really nice shielded multiconductor cabling...$$$ though.

Sean

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 12:55 PM, Staffan wrote:

Hello,

I have been lucky to find a P6042 current probe with a fully functional coil
and hall sensor. The only band thing is that the cable to the sensor was
broken in at least 7 places. It is repaired right now, but probably just a
matter of time before it breaks in a new place.
Does anyone know of a working replacement cable? It features two
coaxes/separately shielded lines and then at least five additional lines. All
in an outer shield and. Outer diameter of the cable is 5 mm (0.2").

Regards,
Staffan

snapdiode

I'm wondering if this HDMI cable thing works, a balanced pair being driven by an unbalanced driver into a terminator... At 50MHz the cable is short enough it just might work, I wonder how flat it would be from DC-50MHz.

Staffan

Hello,

Many thanks for the comments! RG-174 and then a separate shielded multiconductor sounds like the way to go... As long as I get it through the box and into the sensor without having to destroy anything, I'm happy.

Regards,
Staffan

Jan Weber

What about VGA cables? They contain 3 shielded conductors for RGB and some
more unshielded ones for sync etc.

Regards

Jan

Staffan <testjarfalla63@gmail.com> schrieb am Mo., 25. Jan. 2021, 21:57:

Hello,

Many thanks for the comments! RG-174 and then a separate shielded
multiconductor sounds like the way to go... As long as I get it through the
box and into the sensor without having to destroy anything, I'm happy.

Regards,
Staffan

snapdiode

Three 75 ohm coaxes make for a big stiff cable.

SCMenasian

Steffan,

I am in a similar situation (except I don't know if the probe will work once it gets a new cable). My cable has at least one break and it is so stiff that it feels brittle. I won't try to straighten it. I have been putting together a bunch of stuff for a new cable. I settled on RG178 as the coax since I am partial to teflon insulated cables. RG178 has a significantly smaller diameter than RG174. I am still waiting for the right super-flexible heat shrink and will probably try to cast strain relief boots for bot ends from 2 part potting compound.

Stephen Menasian

Michael A. Terrell

There are premade boots for coax cables. I bought some on Ebay a few years
ago. I will use them to make replacement cables for my Boonton 420 and 9200
sensors. I found a whole spool of fairly soft S-video cable, with two
coaxial cables and an overall shield under the jacket. Unfortunately, the
two pin mic connectors have gone from under $3 to over $25. Boonton made
their own version of the connectors, which can't be properly reused. Their
strain relief boots rot with age, so you have to make new cables.