Topics

Mystery part Type 576 Curve tracer.

Michael W. Lynch

All:

Now that I have got my 576 working reliably, I was going to start calibration and I found a pair of what appear to be silicone washers laying in the bottom of the unit. I have no idea where these are supposed to go.

The color is a translucent and slightly off white.
The parts are very soft and pliable.
The appearance is like that of silicone or a similar rubber like material.
The dimensions are 22mm OD x 8mm ID x 2.25mm H (or thick).
There is no appearance of any adhesive residue on these parts.
These were laying at the bottom of the unit and had a layer of dust on top.

Photo is here: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=247763

This unit is a very Low Serial number unit B0100169 and this is the one that I used as my "Test Mule" for the HV transformer project, it is in pristine condition inside. The unit seems to work just fine (other than needing a calibration) and I have not done anything else to disturb the internal parts of the unit, other than the HV Supplu cover and board. I do not believe that I dislodged these, since they appear to have been laying in the bottom of the unit for quite some time.

Any ideas what these might be or where they need to be installed?

Thanks in advance. .
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Bob Koller <testtech@...>

They are placed between the rectangular HV ceramic caps in the CRT HV module.

Mlynch001

Bob,

Excellent! Thank you.

Were these used on the much later model 576? I also have a 576 that dates from the mid 1980’s and I do not recall seeing these in that unit.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Bob Koller <testtech@...>

Michael,

Yes, used on all, my B36xxxx instruments have them as well.

Chuck Harris

If they are part of the curve tracer, they should appear in
the mechanical parts list with a description like, insulating
washer...

-Chuck Harris

Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Ed Breya

They are to keep the HV caps spaced apart the right amount, and prevent them from rattling into each other from (severe) mechanical shock and vibration. You don't really need them if the unit won't be banged around too much, but since you have them anyway, they should go back in place. I don't recall what retains them - Tek sometimes used a gob of silicone goop, and sometimes a rubber "mouse tail" wrapped around them, that was pulled through holes in the board.

Ed