Topics

Mystery A4 board in 2465B

Grayson Evans

I made a post earlier about a mystery cable coming from the A4 board in my 2465B.
but the more I look into it, the more I am puzzled about the A4 board in this scope.
I can't find any photo or manual or online video, etc. that shows the same board I have. It is much bigger than anything in any manual.
It has a large 40 pin ribbon cable coming off in the middle that goes to processor board, a 2-conductor short cable that looks like it want to go to power supply inverter board.
Does anyone have a manual with this board in it??
Thanks!

satbeginner

If you have a 2465B you do not have a separate display board.
That function is integrated on the SMD A5 PCB on the side.
You might have a CRT option board.

If you create a picture album with a foto of your situation we can help more.

Please put the URL to the album in your message.

Saludos,

Leo

satbeginner

Damn keyboard corrections....

I wanted to say CTT Option board.

Leo

Grayson Evans

I uploaded a couple of photos, If I can figure out how to get a link to them in this message.
Album is called "Mystery 2456B Board"
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/257002/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/257002/1?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Hopefully that worked.
The board has this hand written on the board:
671-1340-03

I assume that is a part number, but I dont know where to look it up.
Thanks,

Chuck Harris

Are you sure you have a 2456<<B>> ?

Late model 2465B's, with a B050K, or above, serial number
have no A4 board, and have an A5 board that is SMD, with a
Dallas NVRAM.

Early 2465B's, with below B050K serial numbers had an A5 board
that is thru-hole, a battery, and had a separate A4 board... of
a shorter variety.

All 2465A's have a thru-hole battery type A5 board, and an
A4 board.

All 2465's have a EAROM instead of a NVRAM, or battery, and have
a long A4 board... along with lots of other variations and
differences.

Scopes that have the GPIB option, or the TV/CTT trigger option
have separate boards between the power supply and the A5 board
compartment.

-Chuck Harris

Grayson Evans wrote:

I made a post earlier about a mystery cable coming from the A4 board in my 2465B.
but the more I look into it, the more I am puzzled about the A4 board in this scope.
I can't find any photo or manual or online video, etc. that shows the same board I have. It is much bigger than anything in any manual.
It has a large 40 pin ribbon cable coming off in the middle that goes to processor board, a 2-conductor short cable that looks like it want to go to power supply inverter board.
Does anyone have a manual with this board in it??
Thanks!

satbeginner

Look at this option service manual, page 293:

2465A_2467_070-5857-00_Options_Manual_Jun87.pdf

It can be found under files.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/2465A_2467_070-5857-00_Options_Manual_Jun87

Saludos,

Leo

Tony Fleming

My scope is only the slower 2465, but when I had trouble with it, I took a
video of it, here is one of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4K7rL920qU&;list=PLv52A7rm-UViZEOlzZfZOB9Gl8cjS3ze5&index=28&ab_channel=TonyFleming

Do not know if you get any help from my video or not, but give it a try.

Here is a place to get manuals: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2465

Tony

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM Grayson Evans <wa4gvm@gmail.com> wrote:

I made a post earlier about a mystery cable coming from the A4 board in my
2465B.
but the more I look into it, the more I am puzzled about the A4 board in
this scope.
I can't find any photo or manual or online video, etc. that shows the same
board I have. It is much bigger than anything in any manual.
It has a large 40 pin ribbon cable coming off in the middle that goes to
processor board, a 2-conductor short cable that looks like it want to go to
power supply inverter board.
Does anyone have a manual with this board in it??
Thanks!

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:11 AM, Grayson Evans wrote:

The board has this hand written on the board:
671-1340-03
By your photos, and some parts boards I had... it looks very similar to some version of the TV triggering option (2465B, option 5) and actually that part number is 671-1340-05
... perhaps some dyslexia... or bad (hand)writing... and someone subed in a 3 for the correct 5?
... or it looks like a 3, when it is in fact a 5?
Could it be 671-1340-05 and not 671-1340-03?

Grayson Evans

It is clearly written 671-1340-03.
But from the digging I have been doing it is definitely an option board, some variation of the CCT. I will know more when I finish going through the option manual. It is only about half populated with parts.

satbeginner

Hi,

usually the Tek parts are identified as group-model-version.
So a 671-1340-03 or 671-1340-05 would be the same PCB (CTT without the word recognition option, hence the half population), where the -05 is a later version of that PCB.
In general, the newer versions can be used to substitute an earlier version, so a -05 could be used to replace a -03.

Saludos,

Leo

Grayson Evans

Yes, it is a 2465B.
Sadly, someone that had it before me decided to destroy the serial number. I got it at a hamfest 2 years ago. Working when i got it.
The board is next to the power supply. your tip earlier about it being a possible option board was a great help.
I downloaded the Option Service manual. THe board looks very similar to the TV/CTT board but only the left hand part of the board (towards the front of the scope and along the bottom) is populated with parts. But this explains where the mystery cable coming off the board goes. It does go to J305 (5V) on the power supply.

Grayson Evans

It is not in that service manual. I did find it in a later version I think (070-6864-02
on page 307.

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 03:14 PM, satbeginner wrote:

So a 671-1340-03 or 671-1340-05 would be the same PCB (CTT without the word
recognition option, hence the half population),
Ok. Great!
That clears up my confusion... because I recall seeing what I probably thought were different PCBs... at the time...but probably were really the same pcb, populated to enable the the CTT, without the word recognizer.
Would that have been a custom order? I don't think there is an option 03 for the 2465B on any of the Tek spec sheets?

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 03:42 PM, Grayson Evans wrote:

I did find it in a later version I think (070-6864-02
on page 307.
Yes, I see it.
Tektronix(1991) 24XSB 2467B Options Service(above serial number B050000, 070-6864-02)
Figure 10-13. A26-TV/CTT board
page 307
So you don't have the TV triggering or the CTT option on your 2465B? (The board is in there but isn't powered?)

Grayson Evans

Yes, it is installed and powered.
The unit has been out of its case for a month, and I stupidly forgot to look at the back part of the case (been on the floor for awhile). It has an options sticker. It says there are two options. 05 and 22. So I guess the board is the 05 options which is some analog TV triggering option. That would be totally useless now-a-days.
But I still don't see that option in the OPtions service manual.
Thanks,

satbeginner

I see that Section 2 of the jun87 options manual is about opt 05 TV

Harvey White

If you ever work on surveillance TV cameras, you may find it useful.  The older video equipment (VCR, DVD, etc) can also generate these signals.

Harvey