My trip to France

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) <eb5agv@...>

Hello!

Yes, it HAS to do with Tektronix... just read ;-)

I have just returned from a trip to the 'Cote d'Azur' (Blue Coast) in
France (I am from Spain and it is about 850km from my home). I have enjoyed
a nice week with my wife and my three lovely daughters. So far, so good...
But, you know, when you are an addict to anything, you look for it just
everywhere. So I asked my french friends (who gratiously hosted us at their
home) about some local 'flea markets'... and I was surprised to hear that
yes, there was one in Marseille (about 30km from our 'base'). It was on
Sunday so, yesterday, I went there. Calling that a 'flea market' is, well,
appropriate. It is not a clean place, as there they sell from meal
(including alive animals) to... Tektronix gear :-)!

Yes, after about two hours looking in trash piles (and, when I say trash I
mean exactly that), I saw a nice 545B just facing me, almost hidden in a
corner. Poor baby!, I thought. It had been there for long time, I guessed...

After some give and take with the seller, I got it for the equivalent to
US$50. Probably not a great bargain in other markets but, trust me, in
Spain price is at least three to four times that IF you find one. So I
gladly paid for it and, helped by my friend Michel, took it home. Well, not
so, as it was taken to his home and just today I have got it here (my wife
has been really good letting me take this monster home, counting that the
car was already full of luggage!)

So, once there, after a 9 hour trip (fgrom 6AM to 3PM), what do you think I
have been doing lately?. Resting???. No way!. Playing with the new toy, of
course! (remember I told you I AM an addict ;-) ). It has a 1A1 plug-in and
a non-standard power cable (so first thing I need is a round power plug to
match the 545B socket). It has all the knobs in good (but grummy!) shape
and is just missing and small ground post which is broken from the base
(more about needed parts in a later message, once I look in detail to the
baby). But I had not looked inside the unit... and, opening the covers I
have found that it is in very good shape :-)!. Everything looks original.
It is dusty, as usual, but I have started to clean it and it really shines :-)

Now I would like to get some info (a PDF service and/or users manual would
be really useful!), as this is my very first 'classic' Tektronix (I own a
475, a 485 and a R7603 with several plug-ins). A list of suitable plug-ins
would be also very nice. Any info welcomed!

Best regards from an addict ;-)

JOSE

Phil (VA3UX) <phil@...>

At 09:15 PM 8/13/2001 +0200, you wrote:
Hello!

Yes, it HAS to do with Tektronix... just read ;-)

Congratulations on your find Jose.

I have just returned from a trip to the 'Cote d'Azur' (Blue Coast) in
Now I would like to get some info (a PDF service and/or users manual would
be really useful!), as this is my very first 'classic' Tektronix (I own a
475, a 485 and a R7603 with several plug-ins). A list of suitable plug-ins
would be also very nice. Any info welcomed!
It will take any plug-in that begins with the number "1", "53/54", or a plug-in that has a letter designation such as "A", "B", "CA", etc. I do not know of any on-line manuals for any Tek scopes.

Phil

Best regards from an addict ;-)

JOSE

Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Hello Jose,

It sounds like you might benefit from a copy of my book:
"OSCILLOSCOPES--Selecting and Restoring a Classic". You can read a review of it
on my web page at:

http://www.reprise.com

I describe on about 1 page each, all of the various plugins that will work in a
545B.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) wrote:

[...]

Don Black <jeans@...>

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.

Mark Gurries <gurriesm@...>

Don Black wrote:

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the
Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the
unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and
specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.
Where can you buy the book? I did not see any information about where on
the website.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl
Audio Enthusiast (Love SAE equipment)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gurriesm/
http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/index_audio.html

Don Black <jeans@...>

Hi Mark,
You should find it a a good technical bookshop. AES
<www.tubeandmore.com> and Amazon.com <www.amazon.com> both stock it.
Don Black.

Mark Gurries wrote:

Don Black wrote:

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the
Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the
unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and
specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.
Where can you buy the book? I did not see any information about where on
the website.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl

Phil (VA3UX) <phil@...>

Just eMail Stan directly. He also puts them eBay in the Test Equipment section.

Phil

Mark Gurries wrote:

Don Black wrote:

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the
Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the
unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and
specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.
Where can you buy the book? I did not see any information about where on
the website.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl

Don Black <jeans@...>

Sorry Stan, I didn't know you sold the book direct. Perhaps you would autograph it
for Mark too if he asks nicely.
Don Black.

Mark Gurries wrote:

Don Black wrote:

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the
Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the
unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and
specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.
Where can you buy the book? I did not see any information about where on
the website.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl

Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

If you go the <http://www.reprise.com> there is a page for "Stan Griffiths". I
think that is where you will find the book info.

In any case, I sell it directly via mail, for $24.95 and I pay the postage.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com

Mark Gurries wrote:

Don Black wrote:

Hello Jose,
I'd recommend Stan's book, it's an excellent guide to the
Tektronix
range of scopes and associated equipment with advice on traps for the
unwary and
difficulties likely to be found. There's just enough detail and
specifications to
find the performance of most of Tek's scopes and plugins.
Don Black.
Where can you buy the book? I did not see any information about where on
the website.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl

Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Sure Don, I am always happy to autograph the book when asked to do it.

Stan

Mark Gurries wrote:

Don Black wrote:

[...]

Thank You. I will send you a check in the mail.

If I can, I would like to take you up on the signature too. I would
appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Power Supply Applications Engineer/Manager
Model Railroad Club and NMRA DCC presentations are at:
http://www.falken.net/dave/svl
Audio Enthusiast (Love SAE equipment)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/gurriesm/
http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/index_audio.html