Topics

Motorola 2N5928 Power Transistor Data Sheets wanted

Dear members :

It is OT , sorry , I am try to made a fixture for test TEK 175 for full power , so find a power transistor 2N5928 , I can find such Motorola 2N5928 , but compare with PowerTech 2N5928 ,which is TO-114 , Motorola 2N5928 is TO-63 !!!

I cannot find any data for Motorola 2N5928 anywhere ? Can anyone help me ? date code for Motorola 2N5928 is 0217.

Thanks for any information

Regard
Tony Cheung
NOV 2 2019

Jacques Fortin

Hi Tony,
From all the old databooks I still have, a 2N5928 cannot have an other
package than the TO-114.
From all this old data also, this is a very old design power transistor type
and Motorola is not registered to have made any !
Date code 0217 for a 2N5928 in a TO-63 ?
Maybe what you have is a counterfeit part...

73, Jacques, VE2JFE

Yes, it is TO-63!

從我的iPhone傳送

Jacques Fortin <jacques.f@...>於2019年11月2日 23:51寫道:

Hi Tony,
From all the old databooks I still have, a 2N5928 cannot have an other
package than the TO-114.
From all this old data also, this is a very old design power transistor type
and Motorola is not registered to have made any !
Date code 0217 for a 2N5928 in a TO-63 ?
Maybe what you have is a counterfeit part...

73, Jacques, VE2JFE

It is the TR

從我的iPhone傳送

Cheung Yiu On Tony <@TonyCheung>於2019年11月3日 00:11寫道:

Yes, it is TO-63!

從我的iPhone傳送

Jacques Fortin <jacques.f@...>於2019年11月2日 23:51寫道:

Hi Tony,
From all the old databooks I still have, a 2N5928 cannot have an other
package than the TO-114.
From all this old data also, this is a very old design power transistor type
and Motorola is not registered to have made any !
Date code 0217 for a 2N5928 in a TO-63 ?
Maybe what you have is a counterfeit part...

73, Jacques, VE2JFE

Kurt Swanson

Be very careful here - the fact that the date code is from this century is of concern for two reasons:
1. Motorola spun ON Semiconductor off in 2000. Obviously, there was some transition time on rebranding all of the parts to the ON brand, but most production lines were converted by 2002.
2. This part was made during the internet age, so, if the part was current in 2002, the datasheet should be easy to find.
Bottom line - this part may be a counterfeit, and may not have been made by Motorola.

If you can do so, sweep the part you have with a curve tracer, and see if its performance matches your expectation, but be careful, particularly if you are using the 175. I've blown up several components with mine - I'm more used to the pulsed nature of the later testers.

Good luck - Kurt

Greg Muir

Tony,

The nearest data available online is in the Motorola 1972 Semiconductor Data Library, First Edition
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/motorola/_dataBooks/1972_Motorola_Semiconductor_Data_Library_Reference_Volume.pdf

You will find a few specs in the table located in Volume 2, page 2-61 (PDF page 188). Unfortunately there is no reference to a package outline (section 8).

Obviously ON Semiconductor no longer manufactures this device.

Good luck.

Greg

Jacques Fortin

Greg, you wrote: " Obviously ON Semiconductor no longer manufactures this
device."
This is worse than that: Motorola/ON Semi NEVER manufactured that device !
No wonder that no Motorola Data Sheet for this number can be found ...
The only manufacturers logged for this JEDEC number are:

Power Tech Inc. (which first requested the JEDEC number for the device)
Crimson Semiconductor Inc.
New England Semiconductor Inc.
Solid State Devices Inc.
Diode Transistor Co. Ltd.
Solitron Devices Inc.
Silicon Transistor Corp.

For me, the device that Tony have in hands is clearly a counterfeited one.
This is not the first one seen, right ??

73, Jacques, VE2JFE

Dale H. Cook

On 11/2/2019 4:37 PM, Jacques Fortin wrote:

For me, the device that Tony have in hands is clearly a counterfeited one.
This is not the first one seen, right ??
Right - the Motorola 2N3055 comes to mind as one of the most heavily counterfeited power transistors. Fortunately I have some genuine Motorola 2N3055 transistors which I have had for better than 20 years, as they are used in some broadcast transmitters that I maintain.
--
Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Greg Muir

Jacques,

If Motorola never produced the 2N5928 then they must have only listed the technical data on it as a courtesy in their 1972 data book (see link in previous post).

Greg

Mlynch001

Greg,

The Notes for the various INDEXS of that Data Book states that Section 2 is a "Complete alpha-numeric index of all EIA registered device types, with major electrical specifications." So 2N5928 is an EIA registered device therefore you are likely correct, the listing is "For Information Only". It may be inferred that a company (most likely Chinese) has seen these specifications and "Assumed" that this was a MOTOROLA product, since the information was from a book with the MOTOROLA name on it. So they probably marked their counterfeit based on that assumption.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

boid_twitty

No references to a Motorola 2N5928. Original vendor was PTI
Motorola made 2N6309, with similar ratings.
Both are TO114.

In TO63, JEDEC does not register a single part with >50A or >250W rating, so
Motorola will never have branded that case with that number.

Recheck your info.

RL

Dave Wise

Nice of the “vendor“ to have outed themselves. Now we know that *every* Motorola-branded 2N5928 is a fake!

Dave Wise

On Nov 2, 2019, at 9:16 PM, boid_twitty <legg@...> wrote:

No references to a Motorola 2N5928. Original vendor was PTI
Motorola made 2N6309, with similar ratings.
Both are TO114.

In TO63, JEDEC does not register a single part with >50A or >250W rating, so
Motorola will never have branded that case with that number.

Recheck your info.

RL

Hi Dave :
Thanks for the information , yes it is fake parts.
RegardTony CheungNOV 4 2019

On Monday, November 4, 2019, 12:33:05 AM GMT+8, Dave Wise <david_wise@...> wrote:

Nice of the “vendor“ to have outed themselves. Now we know that *every* Motorola-branded 2N5928 is a fake!

Dave Wise

On Nov 2, 2019, at 9:16 PM, boid_twitty <legg@...> wrote:

No references to a Motorola 2N5928. Original vendor was PTI
Motorola made 2N6309, with similar ratings.
Both are TO114.

In TO63, JEDEC does not register a single part with >50A or >250W rating, so
Motorola will never have branded that case with that number.

Recheck your info.

RL

Hi RL :
Understand TO-63 cannot handle power over 50A or 250W !
Thanks for your information.

On Sunday, November 3, 2019, 12:16:38 PM GMT+8, boid_twitty <legg@...> wrote:

No references to a Motorola 2N5928. Original vendor was PTI
Motorola made 2N6309, with similar ratings.
Both are TO114.

In TO63, JEDEC does not register a single part with >50A or >250W rating, so
Motorola will never have branded that case with that number.

Recheck your info.

RL

Hi Michael :
Agree your message !

On Sunday, November 3, 2019, 07:45:33 AM GMT+8, Mlynch001 <@mlynch001> wrote:

Greg,

The Notes for the various INDEXS of that Data Book states that Section 2 is a "Complete alpha-numeric index of all EIA registered device types, with major electrical specifications."  So 2N5928 is an EIA registered device therefore you are likely correct, the listing is "For Information Only".  It may be inferred that a company (most likely Chinese) has seen these specifications and "Assumed" that this was a MOTOROLA product, since the information was from a book with the MOTOROLA name on it.  So they probably marked their counterfeit based on that assumption.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Hi Jacques :