More hard to find Tek parts, and a great EPROM programmer

We just added a nice assortment of Tek repair parts and pouches in the Tektronix section of the stuff day page:
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/stuffday.html#tekfans
also a great time mark generator there for sweep calibration.

and a great Data I/O 29B/2B EPROM programmer in the R+D section.
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/stuffday.html#rdmagic

worth a look if you need to be distracted today.
all the best,
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/index.html

Lawrance A. Schneider

When the COVID restrictions ease, I hope you open a 2nd shop in America. Shipping and customs make it so I don't even bother to look at you site any longer. This is a suggestion and not a complaint and I hope you view it in a positive way.

larry

Michael W. Lynch

I recently received a pair of HP power supplies from Walter. The shipping, even on these heavy items, was reasonable and less that most E-Bay sellers charge from the USA. There were not any customs charges or import duties on this shipment. In fact, I do not recall any such charge on any of my Sphere Research orders?

Perhaps I have been lucky or the charges were included in the price of the item? I can say that the quality of the items offered for sale and the service is exceptional from Sphere.

Based on my past experiences, your results may vary. .

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Paul Amaranth

First let me say that anything I've received from Walter has been fantastic.

However, I'm not so happy with the Canadian postal service. A couple months
ago I got some "free" Tek manuals from a member and shipping those came to
$40. Media mail in the US would have been around 10 or so.

Whenever Walter posts his sale notices I wish that either he was closer
to Toronto or I was in driving distance of BC. Then I look around and
realize I have more than enough stuff to keep me busy :-)

Paul

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 05:48:39AM -0700, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
I recently received a pair of HP power supplies from Walter. The shipping, even on these heavy items, was reasonable and less that most E-Bay sellers charge from the USA. There were not any customs charges or import duties on this shipment. In fact, I do not recall any such charge on any of my Sphere Research orders?

Perhaps I have been lucky or the charges were included in the price of the item? I can say that the quality of the items offered for sale and the service is exceptional from Sphere.

Based on my past experiences, your results may vary. .

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

!DSPAM:6102a3b111472061540572!

Ananda

Sad to report otherwise! The only time I got a part, it cost me over the value of the part for shipping and tracking. It was guaranteed to be working but it did not. My email went unanswered. It just must be a one-off incident.
A subsequent quote had to be rejected due to the ridiculous shipping charges. There is still a part I would love to buy but I am sure it will be another ridiculous shipping cost. So, it is a no go at the moment.
Sphere seems to be a great source for old TEK parts but as most people have experienced, Canada Post seems like a money making machine for the Canadian government, unlike the USPS.
My experience should not deter others but it was just that: A bad experience!

stevenhorii

My experiences with Sphere have been like the others who report good
experiences. I have bought slide rules as well as electronics. Shipping has
gotten very expensive, though I have discovered that you can save shipping
costs if you have an account with the shipper - particularly FedEx. I
shipped two large (two boxes about 20” cubes) with microscopes in them. Yes
- I overpack them having received broken microscopes because shippers did
not know how to pack them. Anyway, the recipient said to use his FedEx
account because it would save on shipping. Did it ever. I have shipped
boxes like that about the same distance and having the same weight and paid
well over $200 for both. The cost to the recipient for these two? $38. Now,
the pricing may depend on your shipping volume, but this was an account
number for a university. Personal accounts may not save you quite so much.
I’ve set up an account for myself and have a couple of more microscopes to
ship, so I’ll report back on how much it costs/saves.

I usually factor shipping cost in when purchasing something. I had an
unusual experience with an eBay seller. He offered to sell me the HP
counter I had looked at for $1.00 plus shipping. He is in Canada. He knew
what the shipping cost would be, but at a price of $1.00 for the item - no
customs. The shipping wound up being about $120, but $121 for that counter
was a good price. Even if he only got $1.00 for it, he got it out of his
“inventory” so I guess it was worth it to him. It was also one of the
best-packed pieces of test equipment I have received (noting that Sphere
does a great job also).

Steve H.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 17:11 +1 925-334-8641 via groups.io <adesilva_1999=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sad to report otherwise! The only time I got a part, it cost me over the
value of the part for shipping and tracking. It was guaranteed to be
working but it did not. My email went unanswered. It just must be a one-off
incident.
A subsequent quote had to be rejected due to the ridiculous shipping
charges. There is still a part I would love to buy but I am sure it will be
another ridiculous shipping cost. So, it is a no go at the moment.
Sphere seems to be a great source for old TEK parts but as most people
have experienced, Canada Post seems like a money making machine for the
Canadian government, unlike the USPS.
My experience should not deter others but it was just that: A bad
experience!

Ananda

I am not disputing the positives from others. It is just that I got a dud part after spending so much and my email was never answered. No use talking about spilled milk as they say!

Lawrance A. Schneider

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 08:48 AM, Michael W. Lynch wrote:

The shipping, even on these heavy items, was reasonable and less that most
E-Bay sellers charge from the USA.
I'm in no way disparaging Walter. I too bought something from Walter: a Tek 2465 User Manual. I paid as much for shipping as I paid for the manual.

larry