Message from your fearless (foolish?) leader

Last Tuesday afternoon, Mar 9, for some unexplained reason Groups.io began
sending me messages that emails addressed to me from the groups.io groups I
belong to were bouncing.
That came in to my InBox about the time I was getting my wife, Marian, ready
for a hip replacement surgery early the following morning.

I didn't have a minute to myself from just before those notices started to
appear from Groups.io until Saturday morning to look at my email.

A few hours later on Tuesday Groups.io notified me that they were suspending
all email to me until I told them it was OK to resume sending it again. They
never explained why it was bouncing but on Saturday when I told them it was
OK to start sending it again they did. It was as if there was never a
problem in the first place. I still have no idea why this happened.

More importantly, I have no idea if I missed anything important. If I didn't
then I'm quite happy you all behaved yourselves :) :) :) in my enforced
absence.

Update on Marian: The hip replacement was a complete success. This is an
amazing operation with patients walking again without assistance (except for
a cane for a while) in a few weeks. At one point in the operation a surgical
robot is used (a first as far as I'm concerned). Almost a week after the
operation she is walking slowly with the aid of a walker. The biggest issue
at this point is pain from the incision and difficulty sleeping for very
long. Most of the pain meds make her dizzy, give her indigestion, cause her
constipation, and generally disagree with her so she has few choices to deal
with the pain. The pain makes it difficult for her to sleep.

Marian will remain home recuperating for the next 10 days. During that time
I have to do all the things she used to do for us. I had no idea how much
that involved. I'm exhausted most of the day while I take care of her needs;
do all the food shopping she used to do; walk, feed, and entertain our 5
Golden Retrievers, and try to cope with over 100 emails each day.

I appreciate, in advance, your concern for Marian and I apologize for not
responding to you get well wishes although I will pass them along as soon as
I get a chance to check in on TekScopes.

Dennis Tillman W7pF
Your fearless (foolish?) leader

Richard R. Pope

Dennis,
I am glad all went well. You and your family are in my prayers with special well wishes for Marian.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 3/15/2021 8:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Tom Lee

Hi Dennis,

Please convey my best wishes to Marian for a speedy recovery!

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 3/15/2021 18:33, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Alexandre Souza

Best recovery for Mrs. Marian! =D Tell her that even people far away as
Brazil is wishing her a good recovery =D

---8<---Corte aqui---8<---
http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com
http://www.tabalabs.com.br
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em seg., 15 de mar. de 2021 às 22:33, Dennis Tillman W7pF <
dennis@ridesoft.com> escreveu:

[...]

Vince Vielhaber

Hang in there Dennis, we'll try to behave. Prayers and good vibes to Marian.

Vince.

On 03/15/2021 09:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Dennis:

I don't know your wife Marian (obviously), although after observing your
wonderful human being, and I will send prayers on her behalf.  But my
connection (obscure though it may be, through this users' group) to you
is such that I hope you can continue to attend to your personal/family
needs above any requirements associated with the Tekscopes group.  I
think your leadership and control has been fine over the years, and we
will do just fine.  I don't think there's been any need for you to worry
about us (on Tekscopes).

Try to take care of your SELF in the meantime.  It's difficult to
provide care for a family member who's been incapacitated (temporarily,
or otherwise), and  our best wishes (and prayers) go with you also.

Mike Dinolfo N4MWP

On 3/15/21 9:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Robert Simpson

Dennis,
After my full knee surgery, I would take pain meds with food and home made remedy of honey ginger water (helps with nausea)
Best wishes to you and your wife.
Bob

Mlynch001

Dennis,

Praying for Marian’s fast and complete recovery.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Nenad Filipovic

Hi Dennis,

First of all I'm glad that Marian had a successful operation and is recovering well. All the best wishes to you and your family from the other side of the Planet.

Regarding mail bouncing, one thing is strange. You say Groups.io relayed messages were bouncing, yet you received an error notice mail from that same Groups.io. When mails bounce, the sender normally receives a mail notice with the exact error code and additional description. However in your case I the sender is a robot (Groups.io), so the only chance for more info is Groups.io's courtesy to provide it to you.

The only scenario I can think of is that your ISP temporarily had Groups.io on a spam list, because somebody on Groups.io violated the terms of use. ISPs are actually clusters of ISPs (the bigger providing services to the smaller), and they usually share some trust infrastructure. That infrastructure consists of certificate authorities (CAs) for S/MIME and other certificates, and also peripheral stuff like spam list filters. The renew of expired certificates can sometimes fail, and contamination of spam lists takes time to clear up.

Such issues normally get noticed and addressed by web administrators (webmasters). If you have time it may make sense to mail them and inquire about the issue.

Best regards,
Nenad Filipovic

JJ

A close friend of mine of almost 40 years (60 year old retired fireman) from my gym was in terrible excruciating hip pain for many years and walked with a terrible limp. He had both hips replaced at the same time last year the week before Christmas. He was back in the gym with a cane the week after New Years pain free and working out lightly. We were all amazed. A week later - he came with a cane but didn't use it much. By the end of January, no cane but with a slight limp and worked out normally. By the end of February, couldn't detect any limp. Today, he does squats with 225lb for 12-15 reps, and rides the bike for hours. It was a miracle! He opted for the surgical technique that didn't involve cutting through the muscle so his recovery was very quick.
No one should fear hip surgery - it's the easiest surgical procedure to recover from - so I was told by a retired orthopedic surgeon friend whom I work out with.

John Justin

Best wishes! I'm sure your wife will be up and running in no time!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 2:33 AM Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

[...]

Joe

Dennis,
Please forward the best wishes to your wife for a qick recovery and less pain from far away as Germany!
I think it is a new and important experience for many of us to learn what kind of effort it takes to run a family household. In my case this would include to care for four humans, two horses and - most important - two cats!
Keep up the good work Dennis!
Regards, Joe

Giuli Lauto

...And best wishees to Marian also from Italy!
Giuliano

teamlarryohio

Best wishes, fingers thoroughly crossed!
-ls-

Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.

Thanks again for all you do for the TEK community!

Mike Merigliano

Hello Dennis,

Good luck to your wife, and I hope your cooking skills improve fast enough to avoid disaster.

Once in a while I get email bounce messages from tekscopes.io, that sound like what you are getting.

I just go to the web site and fix it as instructed. It happens maybe twice a year.

On 3/15/2021 7:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

n4buq

All the best to you and Marian.

If you have a 555 scope, you might be able to combine Tek along with feeding the fold by baking bread on top of it!

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

adesilva_1999@...

Hoping and praying that Mrs. Tillman will recover fast. We all take the other half for granted and this sort of thing makes us think hard! Take things slow and try not to get overloaded yourself.

James E King

Thanks, Dennis and good luck to your wife. My experience: I had my right hip replaced in October of last year, due to arthritis. I am 67. I spent a week in the hospital and two more in a rehab facility. I was walking unaided after the first week, though my cane helped. The physical therapists helped my adjust my gait and to deal with stairs. The incision was painful then especially if I bumped it getting out of the hospital bed. Now I feel my hip is perfect and can consider going some place on a walking tour. However my left leg is a big problem due to neurological damage 17 years ago. Fixing it has been futile but at least I can walk unaided. Back to the hip. There is still some pain at the incision site if I touch it - not excruciating though. The upshot: If you've been advised to have a hip replaced do it. I'm very happy I did.

Hi Joe,
Fortunately we don't have a horse any more. When our daughter moved out of the house 15 years ago she took her horse with her. He is still with her. Everywhere Starbucks moves her to, they pay for her horse to be moved as well. It is a fabulous company and they take extremely good care of one of their best employees (and her horse).