Manual Tek 2336

jrlaw@...

Dear John, Phil and Miroslav:

I am really appreciative of the nice people that one meets in
a group like this. Your suggestions are always helpful. I have
already found Ford but they do not have a Tek 2336 manual in stock
but my HP 410C is now backed up with their help.

John, my present scope is a Tek 2336 not 2236. Of course, I
don't know the difference! It sure would be great if someone who does
could compile a listing of the main families of Tek scopes as helpful
as that done for the 7000 series. What a great job that one is. See
the link through bookmarks to the work of a Fin named Mark Kahrs.
www.caip.rutgers.edu/~kahrs/testeq/7000.html.

Regards Richard Jones

Miroslav Pokorni <mpokorni@...>

Dear Richard:

Thank you for pointing to the site at Rutgers, it is very interesting. It
must be that aptitude for graphic presentation runs in Fin's blood. I have a
story to tell about that.

Digital Corporation had a wide line of minicomputers with lot of options and
was known as very difficult to configure. After 20 odd years of
configuration guides and even configuration programs, everything proving to
be boondoggle, it took a Fin to make a graphical tool for configuration, he
called it 'Golden Eggs'. Guy was a Digital employee, but he did that guide
on his own time and published it as a bootleg for several years. The guide
gained popularity and Digital management was pretty much forced by customers
to sanctions and publish Golden Eggs. That guide is so popular to these days
that today's imposter of Digital Corporation, Compaq, is still publishing
it.

[...]

Part 2.

Dear Richard:

I had some time at hand and decided to look up an answer on your question
2236 vs. 2336.

The first difference you will notice is if it drops on your toes: 2236 is
only 16 lb., while 2336 is full 28 lb.; do not laugh yet, the heavier one is
for traveling service people. However, if you take 2236 in your hands and
look it over, you would never want to own it, you will lug around extra 12
lb. of 2336 with smile because you know that it would stay together and work
after abuse during travel. Years ago, around 1980, I bought 2335, a quite
similar scope, for company that I was working for and shortly after that I
traveled with service technician to customer site. I got unglued when
technician told me that he packed scope in a foot locker and checked it in
as luggage; technician was an ex-Marine and I guess Marines trust their
footlockers. It turned out that scope survived baggage handlers abuse quite
well. Still, I told that technician that next time he checks scope as
luggage he can start looking for new job.

The 2236 is a bench scope, mechanically quite poorly implemented; when I saw
first one, I did start to wander about Tektronix. As time went on there was
nothing good to add to that image. I never owned or worked with one (for
more than few minutes), but new few people who did. Only good thing that
those people had to say was 'low price', meaning low cost but also
commensurate quality. Besides poorly finished and fitting control knobs,
whole scope looked like made from Japanese beer cans and I hear that poor
mechanical attachment of parts lead to break down of components.

On the other side is 2336, I gather a replacement for 465B. It has a cute
hinged lid with some kind of digital display in it, cursor position and that
type of things; people seem to find more comfort in getting a numerical
reading than eye-balling the value, no matter how poorly is that numerical
value produced. The casing of 2336 is built quite solidly and all controls
are nicely finished, an instrument in keeping with Tektronix's 465. Only bad
things that I heard about 2336 is that connecting cable to lid becomes
intermittent and LCD display fails. I seem to remember that cable is a flat
cable instead of a flex circuit; that is a reason for failure, but flat
cable is easy to replace (some people call that type of cable 'ribbon cable'
, but true ribbon is discrete wires woven into flat cable, a very durable
interconnect). As for LCD, I hear it is just aging; that is how LCDs were in
early 80s.

I got 1990 Tektronix catalog and weight data is coming from it. The price
for 2336 was $4850, while 2236A was priced $3195. If you do not have 1990
catalog and want to see these pages I will be happy to mail you Xerox copies
(here goes copyright and trade name issue, all over again).

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni

Sunday, September 30, 2001
Dear Miroslav:

Thank you for the information on the differences between Tek 2236 and
2336. Having been inside the 2336 to repair a broken line fuse case,
I do appreciate its heavy quality construction. Mine has had hard
case use (hence my query about paint!) and looks as if it has spent
time in the back of a truck. But, inside and operationally, it is a
gem.

Incidentally the delay trigger B runs through the fold down lid and
delay time is shown in milli- or microseconds on the LCD, which still
works fine. The cable connection is a multi ribbon inside a flexible
rubber housing; probably vulnerable to aging by perishing if left
exposed to light for years but mine seems to be OK. Perhaps a
previous user didn't take it out of the truck very often!

Regards Richard Jones