Looking for a 335 CRT

Stefan

Hi Folks,

Just picked up a Sony/Tek 335 from you know where. Included probes, case, and original manual. Even showed traces in the photos. Unfortunately, good ole' USPS delivered it. When I powered it up, the LED lit, but no traces. Followed the manual to get everything set to defaults for testing. No traces. Leaned the thing forward, heard a slight "tinkle" and the screen lit all green. Looking closer, I could see a shadow moving around in the tube of something. about 1mm x 3mm.

Not faulting the seller, but no insurance on "Parts only" items. Apparently, the parts aren't worth anything either? Anywho, anyone out there with a parts 335 willing to part with a tube?

Thanks for listening to my rant.
-S

Bert Haskins

On 4/5/2021 11:24 PM, Sscandizzo@comcast.net wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just picked up a Sony/Tek 335 from you know where. Included probes, case, and original manual. Even showed traces in the photos. Unfortunately, good ole' USPS delivered it. When I powered it up, the LED lit, but no traces. Followed the manual to get everything set to defaults for testing. No traces. Leaned the thing forward, heard a slight "tinkle" and the screen lit all green. Looking closer, I could see a shadow moving around in the tube of something. about 1mm x 3mm.

Not faulting the seller, but no insurance on "Parts only" items. Apparently, the parts aren't worth anything either? Anywho, anyone out there with a parts 335 willing to part with a tube?

Thanks for listening to my rant.
-S
I have a 335 with no sweep, worked on XY.

What is your Zip code

-Bert

snapdiode

You should fault the seller for probably a terrible packing job.

Paul Amaranth

That happened to me too a few years back. The tube didn't break but suffered enough
shock to misalign something so a horizontal trace looked like a check mark.

Paul

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 08:24:40PM -0700, Sscandizzo@comcast.net wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just picked up a Sony/Tek 335 from you know where. Included probes, case, and original manual. Even showed traces in the photos. Unfortunately, good ole' USPS delivered it. When I powered it up, the LED lit, but no traces. Followed the manual to get everything set to defaults for testing. No traces. Leaned the thing forward, heard a slight "tinkle" and the screen lit all green. Looking closer, I could see a shadow moving around in the tube of something. about 1mm x 3mm.

Not faulting the seller, but no insurance on "Parts only" items. Apparently, the parts aren't worth anything either? Anywho, anyone out there with a parts 335 willing to part with a tube?

Thanks for listening to my rant.
-S

!DSPAM:606bd483283321901920555!

Stefan

Bert, sent you a pm.

Dave Seiter

One reason why I stopped shipping scopes.  I never had a problem/failure, but it was only a matter of time.
-Dave

--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH            | Manchester MI, USA
Aurora Group of Michigan, LLC  |  Security, Systems & Software

Stefan

Pulled the tube last night and found a rice grain sized piece of glass and a smaller bit of metal rattling around inside. I assume ANY loose bits in a tube is a bad sign? Also, it looks like the tube was stabilized with wax, which has certainly deteriorated in the past 40 or so years - yuck!

-S

Bert Haskins

On 4/10/2021 11:58 AM, Stefan wrote:
Pulled the tube last night and found a rice grain sized piece of glass and a smaller bit of metal rattling around inside. I assume ANY loose bits in a tube is a bad sign? Also, it looks like the tube was stabilized with wax, which has certainly deteriorated in the past 40 or so years - yuck!
I seem to remember that blanking doesn't work the same way on the 335 as on other Teks.

There is a deflection? plate that just repels the beam off to one side for blanking and in dim light with the intensity turned way up you may see a glow when looking at the face of the tube when blanked.

XY mode forces unblanking.

I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong on this.

Bert

Stefan

There are horizontal glass rods that support the vertical deflection plates; one of these rods is cracked and the plate is slightly shifted. If there is a blanking plate, it must be connected at the neck. Only 4 wires lead to the mid-section.

-S

Dave Wise

That’s called deflection blanking. The 321 uses that system.

Dave Wise

Pulled the tube last night and found a rice grain sized piece of glass and a smaller bit of metal rattling around inside. I assume ANY loose bits in a tube is a bad sign? Also, it looks like the tube was stabilized with wax, which has certainly deteriorated in the past 40 or so years - yuck!
I seem to remember that blanking doesn't work the same way on the 335 as
on other Teks.

There is a deflection? plate that just repels the beam off to one side
for blanking and in dim light with the intensity turned way up you may
see a glow when looking at the face of the tube when blanked.

XY mode forces unblanking.

I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong on this.

Bert

Stefan

Bert, any chance I can take you up on your 335 or tube?

Thanks,
-S

Bert Haskins

On 4/10/2021 11:21 PM, Stefan wrote:
Bert, any chance I can take you up on your 335 or tube?

Thanks,
-S
Yes, a very good chance but I wont be able to  deal with it for a few days.

I took my wife ( of 58 years ) into the emergency room Saturday afternoon and things are up in the air right now.

Her replacement hip popped out and this is something that was NOT supposed to happened.

The 335 is in very nice shape except for a problem in the sweep circuit.

Lets take this off list, contact me at bhaskins@chartermi.net.

Bert

Tom Lee

Ouch!! I wish your wife a speedy recovery, Bert.

Best wishes,
Tom

Sent from an iThing, so please forgive the typos and brevity