Topics

Logic families

KB6NAX
 

Mlynch001
 

Arden,

THANKS! much appreciated.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dean Davidson
 

On 5/01/2020 13:58, KB6NAX wrote:
Here's a comprehensive overview of the various logic families (long URL):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBrqSQuevmAhVoB50JHRjTC4MQFjASegQIBxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Flit%2Fsdyu001&usg=AOvVaw25lGF9wfK6uX4gPjvyvJpf
No that very comprehensive. What about DTL & RTL???
Dean

Mlynch001
 

Covers the very modern series of logic families. It seems to be a little short on the older families. I don’t see many of these listed. Those families are the ones that I am more interested in. I have an older TI Logic Cross reference that crosses over many of the older Logic IC’s. I still appreciate any information where logic is concerned. There are so many sub-divisions within TTL alone, understanding them all is confusing to say the least. I appreciate any lessons that I can learn.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

KB6NAX
 

It was just a quickie off of Google.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Mlynch001
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2020 7:33 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Logic families

Arden,

THANKS! much appreciated.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

KB6NAX
 

RTL and DTL are obsolete, too slow, too few functions, too power hungry, no longer made. Look up ancient data sheets.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Davidson via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2020 8:05 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Logic families



On 5/01/2020 13:58, KB6NAX wrote:
Here's a comprehensive overview of the various logic families (long URL):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBrqSQuevmAhVoB50JHRjTC4MQFjASegQIBxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Flit%2Fsdyu001&usg=AOvVaw25lGF9wfK6uX4gPjvyvJpf
No that very comprehensive. What about DTL & RTL???
Dean

Dave Seiter
 

I too would like to see a comprehensive guide to the earliest logic families, from RTL to the mid seventies.  Sure, they are slow, power hungry, etc but they are interesting historically (and you never know when you might run into them).  Some families appear to be short-lived or had few members, and data sheets can be difficult to find for the more unusual parts.  
-Dave

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 08:18:30 PM PST, Mlynch001 <@mlynch001> wrote:


Covers the very modern series of logic families.  It seems to be a little short on the older families.  I don’t see many of these listed.  Those families are the ones that I am more interested in.  I have an older TI Logic Cross reference that crosses over many of the older Logic IC’s.  I still appreciate any information where logic is concerned.  There are so many sub-divisions within TTL alone, understanding them all is confusing to say the least.  I appreciate any lessons that I can learn.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001
 

Arden,

True. However, in the context of much of the equipment that many of us are dealing with, these older forms of logic are most relevant. This is why I read and try to understand posts, such as Eric’s. So the historical part is nice to know. But understanding how the early forms work is essential to the understanding of the later versions. That is why I enjoy herring from people, such as yourself, and others on this forum who have a better understanding of the subject.

Thank you
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Dale H. Cook
 

On 1/5/2020 12:13 AM, KB6NAX wrote:

RTL and DTL are obsolete, too slow, too few functions, too power hungry, no longer made.  Look up ancient data sheets.
There is still specialized equipment in use that was built with RTL - I have a customer with one example.
--
Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

peter bunge
 

You can make an Op Amp with a 914 RTL. They were fun to play with and I
have a couple. I am looking for a 923 flip-flop out of nostalgia but my
interest does not amount to $20+ being asked (with another $20 shipping to
Canada). I have a large selection of old logic chips if anyone has a
specific need.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:15 AM KB6NAX <gumbear@...> wrote:

RTL and DTL are obsolete, too slow, too few functions, too power hungry,
no
longer made. Look up ancient data sheets.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Davidson via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2020 8:05 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Logic families



On 5/01/2020 13:58, KB6NAX wrote:
Here's a comprehensive overview of the various logic families (long URL):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBrqSQuevmAhVoB50JHRjTC4MQFjASegQIBxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Flit%2Fsdyu001&usg=AOvVaw25lGF9wfK6uX4gPjvyvJpf

No that very comprehensive. What about DTL & RTL???
Dean






Lawrance A. Schneider
 

Thank you Arden! I learned a lot by reading it.

Mr. Lynch, you wrote: I have an older TI Logic Cross reference that crosses over many of the older Logic IC’s.

Could you post it?

Thank you, larry

Glenn Little
 

I was a Navigation Electronics Tech on Poseidon class submarines.
We used a navigation computer  built by UNIVAC in 1967, the CP-890/UYK.
This computer used DTL flat pack logic.
The computer was still in use through the late 1990's.
The reason for the long life was reliability.
We might have one failure between three computers in a 90 day period.

So DTL was still in use through the late 1990's.

Glenn Little ETCS(SS) USN Retired


On 1/5/2020 8:41 AM, Dale H. Cook wrote:
On 1/5/2020 12:13 AM, KB6NAX wrote:

RTL and DTL are obsolete, too slow, too few functions, too power hungry, no longer made.  Look up ancient data sheets.
There is still specialized equipment in use that was built with RTL -  I have a customer with one example.
-- h
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn Little ARRL Technical Specialist QCWA LM 28417
Amateur Callsign: WB4UIV wb4uiv@... AMSAT LM 2178
QTH: Goose Creek, SC USA (EM92xx) USSVI LM NRA LM SBE ARRL TAPR
"It is not the class of license that the Amateur holds but the class
of the Amateur that holds the license"

KB6NAX
 

Hi Mike,

99% of what I know about IC's and logic families is from reading the detailed information in data books. Keep looking for older data books to add to your library. It will enhance your practical knowledge way better than reading bits and pieces on the web.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Mlynch001
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 2:51 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Logic families

Arden,

True. However, in the context of much of the equipment that many of us are dealing with, these older forms of logic are most relevant. This is why I read and try to understand posts, such as Eric’s. So the historical part is nice to know. But understanding how the early forms work is essential to the understanding of the later versions. That is why I enjoy herring from people, such as yourself, and others on this forum who have a better understanding of the subject.

Thank you
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001
 

Arden,

You are correct. I have an extensive catalog of older documents and catalogs. I find the posts that I read something of a study starter. This gives me a starting point, then I dig into the catalogs and data sheets and find out about a particular chip or other component. When I find a new or different document or catalog, I download it to my archive. You cannot have too much information.

Thanks!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

tek_547
 

Thanx for that, great value!!
René

Mlynch001
 

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 09:12 AM, Lawrance A. Schneider wrote:


Thank you Arden! I learned a lot by reading it.

Mr. Lynch, you wrote: I have an older TI Logic Cross reference that crosses
over many of the older Logic IC’s.

Could you post it?

Thank you, larry
Larry,

Here is that Older TI Logic Cross Reference link:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ml/scyb017a/scyb017a.pdf

I find this useful from time to time.



--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Lawrance A. Schneider
 

Thank you very much!!

larry

Michael A. Terrell
 

http://www.archive.org has scans of hundreds of older databooks available
in multiple formats that you can download for free. I mayy soon start
selling off the hundreds of printed databooks in my collection to start
thinning out my collection before I pass on.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 3:17 PM KB6NAX <gumbear@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

99% of what I know about IC's and logic families is from reading the
detailed information in data books. Keep looking for older data books to
add to your library. It will enhance your practical knowledge way better
than reading bits and pieces on the web.

Arden

-----Original Message-----
From: Mlynch001
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 2:51 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Logic families

Arden,

True. However, in the context of much of the equipment that many of us
are
dealing with, these older forms of logic are most relevant. This is why I
read and try to understand posts, such as Eric’s. So the historical part
is
nice to know. But understanding how the early forms work is essential to
the understanding of the later versions. That is why I enjoy herring from
people, such as yourself, and others on this forum who have a better
understanding of the subject.

Thank you
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR