Topics

Is it possible to start a TDS784D scope with a blank DS1486?

Rogerio O

Dear all,
I bought the "functional replacement" chips of the Dallas DS1650 and DS1486 to replace the ones in my scope.
I have downloaded the the TdsNvramFloppyTools and read the 1486 several times before trying to desolder it.
Unfortunately, when I compare the data, there were differences in data located at addresses higher than D hex.
So I unsoldered the chip and read the data with a TL866A several times but the same thing happened.
I could not find any copy of the NVRAM content for my scope anywhere on the internet, so my question is:
Is it possible to boot the scope with a blank DS1486?
Thank you

EricJ

From what I understand some of the addresses are unused. It is possible
that they change randomly and so are different every time the NVRAM is
read. I have used the TDS Floppy Tools also - to both read and write my own
TDS scope and it worked perfectly for me. I think you should have no
problem to boot the scope with a blank NVRAM - then you ought to be able to
do a restore from one of your backups. Alternatively, program the NVRAM
with the TL before booting and see what happens. You can always re-write
with the floppy. (Thanks flyte!) If you need an ACQ or NVRAM backup let us
know - I have the backups from my TDS754D (converted to TDS784D).

--Eric

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 7:49 AM Rogerio O <@rodd414> wrote:

Dear all,
I bought the "functional replacement" chips of the Dallas DS1650 and
DS1486 to replace the ones in my scope.
I have downloaded the the TdsNvramFloppyTools and read the 1486 several
times before trying to desolder it.
Unfortunately, when I compare the data, there were differences in data
located at addresses higher than D hex.
So I unsoldered the chip and read the data with a TL866A several times but
the same thing happened.
I could not find any copy of the NVRAM content for my scope anywhere on
the internet, so my question is:
Is it possible to boot the scope with a blank DS1486?
Thank you

Rogerio O

Hi Eric,
Is it possible to send me the file?
I am almost certain that the one I have saved are corrupt.
Also, Can you give me a brief tutorial of how to burn the file to the chip using the TL866?
Is it necessary to start with address D0 (hex)?
Why is that there are several posts saying that you have to try several times "until it works"?
Thanks,
Roger

Rogerio O

I guess I would need a brief tutorial to write it back with the floppy tool also.
While I was using the TdsNvramFloppyTools I have received some write errors in most of the trials.
Is it possible that my floppy drive is broken?
I have seen some kits that replace the floppy by a UBS port.
Is it possible to use this device to make/restore backups?
Thank you

EricJ

Did you read all of the thread at EEVBlog? You need to have the write
protect switch flipped to off while the writing is in progress. Then flip
it back on before reboot. Flyte says this shouldn't be necessary but it was
on my scope. I was also able to add options with the floppy NVRAM write. My
scope was already pretty well loaded as well as it could be without extra
hardware but I added option 3 for some extra COM triggers.

In the EEVBlog thread there's mention of using the disk utility menu to run
the floppy tools to write by flipping the write protect switch off, then
using the disk utility to run the disk, then switching the write protect
switch back before rebooting.

I haven't used the TL myself, so I can't help with that.

--Eric

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 07:22 AM, EricJ wrote:

"
I have the backups from my TDS754D (converted to TDS784D).
"
Would you please send me (or post) the file?
Thank you

EricJ

NVRAM dump has been uploaded to TekScopes. Filename is dump.bin - can be
quickly found by typing that into the search box in the files section.
Scope options are 13, 1F, HD, 2M, 2F and firmware version is v6.3e - I
don't know if other firmwares might or might not be compatible with this
file, so use at your own risk if yours is different.

--Eric