Topics

Info on 561B wanted

enjamp@...

Hi, my name is Collin Ross and I have been a member for about two
months. Since receiving a book by Stan Griffiths last March, I have
been searching for a project scope. Presently, I have been eyeing a
561B on eBay. Because the "B" is not listed in my book I will
appreciate any information or relevant opinions. Since most of my
work is confined to audio I found the discussion on "vintage" tube
prices very enjoyable. I hesitate to mention this, regarding myself
as an Audiophile of sorts, but those willing to pay out the nose for
NOS, NIB, etc. are LOONY. Although some are beautiful sounding, I
have had many "vintage" tubes sound worse than Chinese reject
bottles. To my ear, new, quality tubes, sound far superior to the
aural quality of a time clock, marking the passage of the overtime
penance needed to finance an inflated ego. I prefer to wow my friends
by explaining MY Amperex, Mullard and Telefunkins reside in an
climate controlled environment, as even light has detrimental effects
upon their "timbre." Perhaps they may have a peek upon arrival of my
night vision goggles... once the effect of I.R. is determined. Thanks
Collin

Steve B.

Hi Collin;

The 561B is a all-solid state 10 mHz mainframe with near identical X-
Y characteristics that takes a wide variety of 2 and 3 series plug-
ins.
It can be used for X-Y display with similar phase comp'ed amp plug-
ins or raster display with two time-bases. It is noteably a very
versatile audio use 'scope with the right P-I's.

Downsides known to me;
1: The fastest amp P-I's (3A1 & 3A3) use expensive and failure-prone
E55L tubes. OTOH, the 63/2A63 diff amps are fine for audio and are
simple units using common cheap tubes. Easy to comp for X-Y.
2: The HV osc xistor is reputed high failure rate, necessitating a
mount mod to replace with a more robust device when it does go.
Otherwise, very stable reliable unit w/ a nice built-in 1kHz
calibrator.

Rgds; Steve Bringhurst