Topics

I built a TM500 mainframe tester, and updated the design. Someone might find this useful?

Jared Cabot

Hi all,

I have been accumulating TM500 modules and mainframes for a little while, so I recently finished building an 067-1201-99 TM500 mainframe tester from the Tek construction notes floating around.
I updated the design somewhat and designed it for simplified construction (Not a single wire to strip and solder!) and I thought someone here might be interested in taking a look or even building one themselves.
Here's a link to the youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afwqtc6Fxd4

And here's a link to the google drive with all the gerbers and schematics and stuff. I went so far as to rewrite the manual with the alterations and corrections included.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yj52Z_BtGZ7Q9BB2jS9Lf2Uz39turS4-

Direct link to the new manual:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqpcqheb01qMioQwcUhyWv6A37v2HPro/view?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think, and let me know if you see any errors that need correcting. :)

Regards
Jared.

Alexandre Souza

Thanks for sharing, Jared!

Enviado do meu Tele-Movel

Em qui, 31 de dez de 2020 16:27, Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
protonmail.com@groups.io> escreveu:

[...]

Paul Amaranth

Bravo for sharing that. It looks very impressive!

Paul

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 11:27:23AM -0800, Jared Cabot via groups.io wrote:
[...]

!DSPAM:5fee262d310731865913082!

Alexandre Souza

Jared, did you write that manual?
Man, that is a piece of art! CONGRATULATIONS! You inspired me to write
better manuals for my projects O_O

---8<---Corte aqui---8<---
http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com
http://www.tabalabs.com.br
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em qui., 31 de dez. de 2020 às 16:27, Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
[...]

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Jared Cabot wrote:

Let me know what you think, and let me know if you see any errors that need
correcting
Jared,

Beautiful workmanship. Who does your boards? Wonderful project, Thanks for sharing!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Brenda

Hi Jared, very impressive! Almost makes me thinking getting some of the TM500 series!

Michael, Jared stated that PCBWay did the boards and I am very impressed with the boards. Has me wondering if I could make up my own gerber files for replacing all the electrolytics in my 500 series scopes. :)

Brenda

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 04:04 PM, Brenda wrote:

Michael, Jared stated that PCBWay did the boards and I am very impressed with
the boards.
Brenda,

He did not state the PCB house in the original post. Must be in the video and I do not have the ability to watch the video at the moment. Thanks for supplying that information.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Larry McDavid

Anyone interested in buying sets of boards to share?

Larry

On 12/31/2020 11:27 AM, Jared Cabot via groups.io wrote:
[...]
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 05:12 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:

Anyone interested in buying sets of boards to share?

Larry
I would be. I would want someone with experience dealing with a PCB House to make it happen.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Larry McDavid

Gosh, the link to the google drive Gerbers does not work for me. Anyone have success downloading the various files?

Larry

On 12/31/2020 3:12 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I could be convinced into a set.

Board costs aren't so bad, but the shipping can rack up some charges. If you
can get a quantity at least it works out to something reasonable per board.

Then there's the Dennis problem - distribution to the individual member :-)

Paul

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 03:22:33PM -0800, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 05:12 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:

Anyone interested in buying sets of boards to share?

Larry
I would be. I would want someone with experience dealing with a PCB House to make it happen.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Shaun M

Larry,

I am interested in a group buy of the board set.

Thanks,

Shaun M.

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAfwqtc6Fxd4&;amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C40227a80b85e43231ba308d8ade187f9%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637450531445615030%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=zMJHqQdwdPvoSuICx%2BoFCyeirkm22N4SoXlBrecdNjs%3D&amp;reserved=0

And here's a link to the google drive with all the gerbers and schematics and stuff. I went so far as to rewrite the manual with the alterations and corrections included.
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Fdrive%2Ffolders%2F1yj52Z_BtGZ7Q9BB2jS9Lf2Uz39turS4-&;amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C40227a80b85e43231ba308d8ade187f9%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637450531445615030%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=m4yXNeErC6GNMwHIouWyCxe1FLYNKYdY%2BvngHZQzZMU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Direct link to the new manual:
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffile%2Fd%2F1iqpcqheb01qMioQwcUhyWv6A37v2HPro%2Fview%3Fusp%3Dsharing&;amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C40227a80b85e43231ba308d8ade187f9%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637450531445615030%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=A%2B%2F%2Boa%2F3G4jzT18wrWcEhZ%2BYEsAAReNBeDCyXSy6dM0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Let me know what you think, and let me know if you see any errors that need correcting. :)

Regards
Jared.

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

Larry McDavid

The final "-" was missing in the hot link; with that added, the link works.

[...]

Dale Chayes

Yes,

-Dale

On Dec 31, 2020, at 18:12, Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com> wrote:

[...]

Are there any US PCB Houses that we could contact? Or are they all in China? I have never done boards before. I would be willing to help out with the process.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Jim Ford

Several at least here in Southern California.  For just this type of small order.  For volume production, China is of course the 800 pound gorilla.  Check out Advanced Circuits, TTM, or Summit here in the States.  HTH.  Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Michael W. Lynch via groups.io" <mlynch003=yahoo.com@groups.io> Date: 12/31/20 3:33 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] I built a TM500 mainframe tester, and updated the design. Someone might find this useful? Are there any US PCB  Houses that we could contact?  Or are they all in China?  I have never done boards before.  I would be willing to help out with the process.-- Michael LynchDardanelle, AR

Harvey White

Oshpark is very good, with 3 board per order for the price of 5 dollars per square inch.  I should point out that the board set I saw would be rather expensive.

Their boards are purple, and ENIG (gold plated)

The typical Chinese made boards may have a size limitation for lowest cost, and the lowest price will be for HASL (Hot Air Solder Leveled) boards.  On the other hand, a 100 mm square board can be had for 4.90, and that's for 10 of them.  Shipping with DHL is likely 20 to 25 dollars, but that price range covers 5 different boards, all 100 mm in size or less.

Using Chinese made boards will require a different physical design.

Harvey

On 12/31/2020 6:33 PM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:
Are there any US PCB Houses that we could contact? Or are they all in China? I have never done boards before. I would be willing to help out with the process.

Jim Ford

Yes, I have used OSH Park before as well.  Not sure where they are located, so I hesitated to mention them.  I try to avoid sending any of my dollars to China these days.   JimSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> Date: 12/31/20 3:50 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] I built a TM500 mainframe tester, and updated the design. Someone might find this useful? Oshpark is very good, with 3 board per order for the price of 5 dollars per square inch.  I should point out that the board set I saw would be rather expensive.Their boards are purple, and ENIG (gold plated)The typical Chinese made boards may have a size limitation for lowest cost, and the lowest price will be for HASL (Hot Air Solder Leveled) boards.  On the other hand, a 100 mm square board can be had for 4.90, and that's for 10 of them.  Shipping with DHL is likely 20 to 25 dollars, but that price range covers 5 different boards, all 100 mm in size or less.Using Chinese made boards will require a different physical design.HarveyOn 12/31/2020 6:33 PM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io wrote:> Are there any US PCB  Houses that we could contact?  Or are they all in China?  I have never done boards before.  I would be willing to help out with the process.>

Larry McDavid

Why would using Chinese made boards require a different physical design?

The author, Jared Cabot, used PCBWay, surely fab'd in China, and provided Gerber files for each of the four PWBs. Since several here want boards sets, the simple thing seems to be order them from PCBWay. Delivery timing is really not an issue and shipping cost for blank boards can't be that much... I will ask PCBWay for a quote.

Larry

On 12/31/2020 3:50 PM, Harvey White wrote:
[...]

Ok, I'll ask OSH Park for a quote and compare quotes.

Larry