Topics

How to make a 500 series plug-in extender

Grayson Evans

I don't suppose there are a bunch of plug-in extenders floating around, so looks like I need to build one. (I see one on ebay, but out of my price range)
If I can locate a source of the connectors, it should not be too hard to connect a male to female with short wires/coax.
Has anyone out there done this? Those connectors look like a stock (in the 60's) amphanol connector, but I don't see any manuf. part number in the plug-in or scope parts list. They were used in a lot of military gear. Amphanol probably still makes it.
Thanks,
Grayson

Andy Warner

Here's the details of one I made recently:

--
Andy

Andy Warner

Just realised you probably mean a 500 series 'scope, not a TM500.

Apologies for the noise.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:36 AM Andy Warner <andyw@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Seiter

I made an 500 series extender years ago. Both connectors came from a badly corroded 535 and it's plugin. The cable is about 3' long and unshielded, but it gets the job done for most uses.  I do have a genuine fixed extender somewhere, but I prefer having the ability to rotate the plugin.
-Dave

On Monday, September 28, 2020, 07:10:56 AM PDT, Grayson Evans <wa4gvm@...> wrote:

I don't suppose there are a bunch of plug-in extenders floating around, so looks like I need to build one. (I see one on ebay, but out of my price range)
If I can locate a source of the connectors, it should not be too hard to connect a male to female with short wires/coax.
Has anyone out there done this?  Those connectors look like a stock (in the 60's) amphanol connector, but I don't see any manuf. part number in the plug-in or scope parts list.  They were used in a lot of military gear.  Amphanol probably still makes it.
Thanks,
Grayson

Grayson Evans

Yes, I forgot about the TM500 series.
I am trying to find the connectors that are used on the 500 series Scope plug-ins and chassis.
Pretty sure they are Amphanol, but I only have the Tek part number.
Grayson

John Williams

The amphenol Part numbers are 26-159-16 for male and 26-190-16 for female. Make sure the male has the locating pins intact. There is a similar connector used in the 551 and 555 power cable but they won’t fit.

Here is an example of what is on eBay, this looks like a nice set of both connectors, alas not mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphenol-Male-and-Female-26-190-16-Gold-Plated-Tektronix-plug-in/184462985269?hash=item2af2d9c835:g:R8MAAOSw7ixfbrqi

Dano

Ok, I don't normally respond to stuff like this, but this one got me.

Regarding the eBay listing, "Used Item", but "only once!"

I'll shut up now.

On 9/28/2020 1:37 PM, John Williams wrote:
The amphenol Part numbers are 26-159-16 for male and 26-190-16 for female. Make sure the male has the locating pins intact. There is a similar connector used in the 551 and 555 power cable but they won’t fit.

Here is an example of what is on eBay, this looks like a nice set of both connectors, alas not mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphenol-Male-and-Female-26-190-16-Gold-Plated-Tektronix-plug-in/184462985269?hash=item2af2d9c835:g:R8MAAOSw7ixfbrqi

greenboxmaven

The connectors on many Tektronix plug ins are Amphenol Blue Ribbon series. Be careful in ordering, while the actual contacts are the same, the connector bodies and locating pins have many variations.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 9/28/20 1:48 PM, Grayson Evans wrote:
Yes, I forgot about the TM500 series.
I am trying to find the connectors that are used on the 500 series Scope plug-ins and chassis.
Pretty sure they are Amphanol, but I only have the Tek part number.
Grayson

John Williams

Grayson once you find connectors you are home free pretty much. There are lots on eBay at various prices. You can also order new ones but generally run megabucks. I just use hookup wire to make the cable and lots of tiny cable ties to take the strain of the wires on the connections. You have to be careful using them as the voltages are exposed. I have not bothered covering or potting them. You can use tiny coax for pins 1 and 3. These allow you to get the plugin out where you can work on it plus rotate it carefully while working on it.

John Williams

Actually I just found a really nice looking one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPHENOL16-Pin-26-159-16-Connector-26-190-16-Receptacle-w-cable/124285733386?hash=item1cf001ca0a:g:x6wAAOSwrjBfKeqs

For 25 bucks this is a great deal. If he would ship to Canada I would buy it myself. Alas, no joy.

Grayson Evans

Thanks John,
Looks to me like pins 1 and 3 and 4 and 5 would need to be small coax like you said (RG174 for example) even if the connecting length is only 2 ft. or so.
I looked at the cable on ebay. Very nice, good price, but seller doesnt say if all the pins are connected. It is unlikely that any are coax or shielded.
Thanks for the info.
Grayson

Martin Hodge

Here's one I made from the connectors taken out of a trashed type 81 plugin adapter. Two long standoffs hold it rigid. Feeding a square wave of a precise amplitude, through a coupling capacitor, into the scope side of the resistor allows calibration of a scope's vertical gain. The resistor is bypassed when calibrating a plugin.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/254285/0

snapdiode

Be very careful with these connectors, the alloy is a durable contact surface but also very brittle. If you bend a solder tab, don't unbend it, it will snap off.

Here's a nice long one

snapdiode

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tektronix-Adapters-2-each-Gain-ADJ-Adapter-013-005-1-each-EP53-Extension/303578315996?hash=item46aead7cdc:g:VIcAAOSw6mZezCLm

50$ you get three pairs of connectors or just use the extenders.

Of course the shipping must be wrong.

Dave Seiter

Why is the shipping wrong?  The seller will probably put them in a layer of bubble wrap and ship them in a fixed rate padded envelope; that's about $7.75.
The extender looks like the one I have.
-Dave

On Monday, September 28, 2020, 11:29:14 PM PDT, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tektronix-Adapters-2-each-Gain-ADJ-Adapter-013-005-1-each-EP53-Extension/303578315996?hash=item46aead7cdc:g:VIcAAOSw6mZezCLm

50$ you get three pairs of connectors or just use the extenders.

Of course the shipping must be wrong.

snapdiode

On my end it shows 120$ US for the shipping. Unless the bubble wrap is the size of a zeppelin, that's a bit on the high side I think. Must be the eBay automatic shipping calculator that's a bit bananas.