Topics

How to fix Broken URL Links IT IS SIMPLE!

Apparently some people do not realize how simple it is to fix a broken link
wherever and whenever they encounter one. For example in a previous email I
posted today I included a link to a file a member posted in our Files
section. The link was very, very, long and I knew it would be broken up
across at least two or three lines which would make it useless.

It is pretty obvious when this has happened because these links are not
something a human would have typed. So look at to determine where it starts
(usually it begins with "http") and where it ends. Then copy the entire
thing (however many lines it might be on) exactly as it appears.

Paste it into a SIMPLE character editor like Notepad (or whatever you use)
and remove the carriage returns which are breaking it up into multiple
lines. When you are done you will have a very long URL (there should be no
spaces in it too) which you should now copy and then paste into the address
field (destination field) of your favorite browser

It's that simple.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

PS here is a very long URL to try this on until you get it to work. Once you
do succeed at putting this link back together and going to it you will never
need to tell anyone "the link you sent me didn't work" ever again.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Addendum%20to%20The%20Cathode%20Ray%20Tu
be,%20Technology,%20History,%20and%20Applications%20by%20Peter%20Keller%20.p
df

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 09:46 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Paste it into a SIMPLE character editor like Notepad (or whatever you use)
and remove the carriage returns which are breaking it up into multiple
lines.
Dennis,
Just selecting all lines involved, copying and pasting them into the browser address field usually works for me. It did with your broken URL.

Raymond

P.S.
After I generated and uploaded the PDF version of the file your link refers to, I copied its URL in my address bar and pasted it in my response text. No breaks, just click the link!

KeepIt SimpleStupid

Some links have tracking info attached to them.  Im many cases this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/?src=denblog

firefox add-on will remove the junk/
Note the link above has ?src=denblog
This is likely some tracking inormatiom, bit not one that renders the link inoperative at a later time.
This: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/
works fine too.

The links with GCLID in them are the troublesome links.

On Sunday, December 13, 2020, 8:56:13 PM UTC, Raymond Domp Frank <hewpatek@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 09:46 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Paste it into a SIMPLE character editor like Notepad (or whatever you use)
and remove the carriage returns which are breaking it up into multiple
lines.
Dennis,
Just selecting all lines involved, copying and pasting them into the browser address field usually works for me. It did with your broken URL.

Raymond

P.S.
After I generated and uploaded the PDF version of the file your link refers to, I copied its URL in my address bar and pasted it in my response text. No breaks, just click the link!

Daveolla

Hear, it may be understood like a long string of series resistors folded up to lay side by side (actually one above the other) . Visually look for breaks in the chain and reconnect if need be. Then connect the string into your browser instead of a meter to see if its continuity gives the desired result.
If it doesn't, open up your computer and start shot gunning all the caps.

(........ok, maybe not that last bit)

Dave

At 02:55 PM 12/13/2020, you wrote:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 09:46 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Paste it into a SIMPLE character editor like Notepad (or whatever you use)
and remove the carriage returns which are breaking it up into multiple
lines.
Dennis,
Just selecting all lines involved, copying and pasting them into the browser address field usually works for me. It did with your broken URL.

Raymond

P.S.
After I generated and uploaded the PDF version of the file your link refers to, I copied its URL in my address bar and pasted it in my response text. No breaks, just click the link!

Michael A. Terrell

Post links between<> to prevent it from breaking. It doesn't help if it is
quoted multiple times in replies, but it does work for the original post.
<
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM Dennis Tillman W7pF <dennis@ridesoft.com>
wrote:

[...]

Tim Phillips

What about 'tinyurl' ? or is that just another level of complexity ?

Tim P

wrote:

[...]

Vince Vielhaber

Now that I'm retired I don't mind the tinyurl so much (still don't like 'em), but too often when I was working I'd get that dreaded DENIED URL page implying I was going to some nefarious site somewhere when it was decoded.

Vince.

wrote:

[...]

I prefer to know where the link points to, before clicking on it.

wrote:

[...]

Dale Chayes

On Dec 16, 2020, at 04:27 , Tim Phillips <timexucl@gmail.com> wrote:

What about 'tinyurl' ? or is that just another level of complexity ?
Shortened URLs are a classic method of getting someone to click a link they probably should not.

That said, they can be useful.

There are methods for checking a shortened link before you follow it.

U Mich has a good writeup at the top of this page:

https://safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/phishing-and-suspicious-email/shortened-url-security

-Dale

Tim P

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 08:44, Michael A. Terrell <
terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote:

Post links between<> to prevent it from breaking. It doesn't help if it is
quoted multiple times in replies, but it does work for the original post.
<

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Addendum%20to%20The%20Cathode%20Ray%20Tube,%20Technology,%20History,%20and%20Applications%20by%20Peter%20Keller%20.pdf

Tim Phillips

Ah, yes - I hadn't appreciated the opportunities for mischief with 'tinyurl'
Probably why it is not used now.
Tim P

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 at 19:06, Michael A. Terrell <