Topics

How to clean Helitrim potentiometers?

Alexandre Souza

Greetz All!

My FG503 got dirty pots. I need to clean it, but they seem to be sealed. Is there any technique to clean these pots?

Thanks
Alexandre

--
---8<---Corte Aqui---8<---
https://www.tabalabs.com.br

Stephen

Hi,

What personally do, and it works fine for me, is I remove the knobs, and let isopropyl alcohol drip inside the pot from the front, between the shaft and the casing. And I keep turning and turning.
This method works great for me on all sealed pots.

Hope this helps.

Colin Herbert

Hi Alexandre,
You could try squirting some Deoxit or Servisol into the pots via gaps near the connectors. You might get lucky and enough goes in to do the job. You need to turn the pot from end to end when you do this, of course. If that doesn't solve the problem, it is worth trying a couple of times, providing that you can see that the cleaner _might_ get inside. Otherwise, I think someone has managed to remove the four "rivets" that hold the metal cover on the back to gain access to the insides. If that is possible, then I suspect that getting some cleaner in there will be easier, but the problem of how to re-seal the pots has to be solved. Good Luck.
Colin.

My FG503 got dirty pots. I need to clean it, but they seem to be sealed.
Is there any technique to clean these pots?

Thanks
Alexandre

--
---8<---Corte Aqui---8<---
https://www.tabalabs.com.br
https://tabajara-labs.blogspot.com

Stephen Hanselman

Replace them, they are fairly cheap, easy to change, and not noisy. Besides you could change a 10 turn into a 25 turn and make the adjustments way less twitchy.

We have seen a significant improvement in unit stability by replacing pots in the Valhalla electronic resistors we work on.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Oct 15, 2020, at 08:47, Alexandre Souza <alexandre.tabajara@...> wrote:

Greetz All!

My FG503 got dirty pots. I need to clean it, but they seem to be sealed. Is there any technique to clean these pots?

Thanks
Alexandre

--
---8<---Corte Aqui---8<---
https://www.tabalabs.com.br
https://tabajara-labs.blogspot.com

Stephen Hanselman

Ooops sorry I read pots to mean trim pots. Still if you can replace them they will never be as stable after cleaning as new.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Oct 15, 2020, at 09:40, Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@...> wrote:

[...]

Helitrim pots cheap? Do you have a source? Thanks!

Enviado do meu Tele-Movel

wrote:

Greetz All!

My FG503 got dirty pots. I need to clean it, but they seem to be sealed.
Is there any technique to clean these pots?

Thanks
Alexandre

--
---8<---Corte Aqui---8<---
https://www.tabalabs.com.br
https://tabajara-labs.blogspot.com

Colin Herbert

I think we need to be certain which pots we are considering. Are they pots on the front panel, or are they internal adjustments (trimmers) and perhaps which are they specifically? Circuit identities would be informative.
Colin.