Topics

How much does 106 of Peter Keller's CRT books weigh?

My original idea if I got orders for 10 to 15 of Peter Keller's CRT books
was to have him ship them to me and I would mail them out to the individuals
who ordered them.

(Please feel free to form a line and kick me for what happened next. You
might say I was off by a little bit!)
My bright idea to get a few of these wonderful books into member's hands
worked too well. I had 20 orders by later that first day. Job well done I
thought to myself. If only it had stopped there!

By the time the flood of emails finally stopped I had payments for 106
books. In postal terms this comes to five boxes of 20 books each weighing
42lbs (19Kg) and one box of 6 books. Total weight 222Lbs (101kg). The cost
to ship this to me was going to be VERY expensive.

I needed a new plan and fast. So I decided to drive to Peter's house to pick
them up. He lives exactly 4 hours, 191miles (307km) from me. It was nice to
see him and his wife in person once again. Plus this gave me a chance to
talk to Peter about optical experiments he used to do at Tek measuring the
response of phosphors. Peter also designed the optical portion of the J16
Digital Photometer and its optical heads as well as the J17 and J18.

I went to the Post Office today to check it out. The lines are impossibly
long with people mailing presents. That will not change until after
Christmas (Dec. 25 in the US). Since it will take me a few days to put the
books in corrugated mailers I should be ready to face the window clerk at my
local Post Office on Monday. I'm not sure how he / she will react when they
see me wheel in 106 individually addressed books but it will be a long
morning for both of us.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Since it will take me a few days to put the
books in corrugated mailers I should be ready to face the window clerk at my
local Post Office on Monday. I'm not sure how he / she will react when they
see me wheel in 106 individually addressed books but it will be a long
morning for both of us.
C'mon Dennis, I'd love to have my book soon but please wait until things won't be as busy! You may have to wait half a day until it's your turn, only to be sent away because they're too busy...

Raymond

Renée

Dennis-
I have done similar and See, no good deed goes unpunished.
Do enjoy the journey...you were able too see and old friend.
You are greatly appreciated for all you do.
May you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
Renée

On 12/21/20 1:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

snapdiode

Is there no special book rate you can get from the USPS?

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Media-Mail-Book-Rate

-

I agree. Wait until after Christmas and until the PO lines die down. I
doubt that any of us will have time to read the book until after the
holidays anyway.

Merry Christmas Dennis and don't let this get the better of you.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 4:43 PM Raymond Domp Frank <hewpatek@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Since it will take me a few days to put the
books in corrugated mailers I should be ready to face the window clerk
at my
local Post Office on Monday. I'm not sure how he / she will react when
they
see me wheel in 106 individually addressed books but it will be a long
morning for both of us.
C'mon Dennis, I'd love to have my book soon but please wait until things
won't be as busy! You may have to wait half a day until it's your turn,
only to be sent away because they're too busy...

Raymond

Jean-Paul

Dennis be sure to check media mail rate, cheaper for printed matter, books

PO should be empty on 23/24 dec and between x-mas and New Years

Beware of rate increase every New Years

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Jon

Dave Daniel

I agree as well. Wait until after the holidays. Instead, enjoy your holiday!

DaveD

wrote:

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Since it will take me a few days to put the
books in corrugated mailers I should be ready to face the window clerk
at my
local Post Office on Monday. I'm not sure how he / she will react when
they
see me wheel in 106 individually addressed books but it will be a long
morning for both of us.
C'mon Dennis, I'd love to have my book soon but please wait until things
won't be as busy! You may have to wait half a day until it's your turn,
only to be sent away because they're too busy...

Raymond

teamlarryohio

Dennis, mine can wait for a postal lull.

thanx!!
-ls-

shalopt

"My original idea if I got orders for 10 to 15 of Peter Keller's CRT books
was to have him ship them to me and I would mail them out to the individuals
who ordered them."
Check out click and ship, pay print label and attach to book, drop off at the window or have them pick up. But you are doing their work some time it is cheaper.
gary g

G Hopper

Click and ship does not have a on-line media mail price. The only option
via click and ship is first class and that's going to be more expensive.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM shalopt via groups.io <shalopt=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

"My original idea if I got orders for 10 to 15 of Peter Keller's CRT books
was to have him ship them to me and I would mail them out to the
individuals
who ordered them."
Check out click and ship, pay print label and attach to book, drop off at
the window or have them pick up. But you are doing their work some time it
is cheaper.
gary g

Dennis,

I concur with the general consensus that none of us are (literally or figuratively) dying for the book. I can certainly wait until after the holiday season for my copy.

Very appreciative of you effort in this, and wishing you happy holidays

-- Jeff Dutky

Eric

I agree wait till after the holidays and the shipping settles down less of
a chance of something getting lost in the mail

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020, 8:55 PM Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Dennis,

I concur with the general consensus that none of us are (literally or
figuratively) dying for the book. I can certainly wait until after the
holiday season for my copy.

Very appreciative of you effort in this, and wishing you happy holidays

-- Jeff Dutky

Vince Vielhaber

If you have a printer, you can also do it in paypal, BUT, the problem there is paypal would see they're being shipped to people who paid F&F and charge Dennis the fee.

Vince.

On 12/21/2020 07:23 PM, shalopt via groups.io wrote:
"My original idea if I got orders for 10 to 15 of Peter Keller's CRT books
was to have him ship them to me and I would mail them out to the individuals
who ordered them."
Check out click and ship, pay print label and attach to book, drop off at the window or have them pick up. But you are doing their work some time it is cheaper.
gary g

Vince Vielhaber

1st class is only good to a pound, I thought Dennis said these were over 2 lbs.

Vince.

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

"My original idea if I got orders for 10 to 15 of Peter Keller's CRT books
was to have him ship them to me and I would mail them out to the
individuals
who ordered them."
Check out click and ship, pay print label and attach to book, drop off at
the window or have them pick up. But you are doing their work some time it
is cheaper.
gary g

Jack Reynolds

Dennis,

For heavens sake, you have already had your quota of pain and suffering on this exercise!  I for one really appreciate all that you have done so far.  Give it a rest until after the holidays.  I know that of things I have ordered for the last month and the delivery delays, I doubt that USPS will be caught up by mid January.  It took them two weeks to get a package to me from 350 miles away.  Pony Express could have done better.

Thank you again,

Jack

On 12/21/2020 4:33 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
[...]

Ed (SCSKITS)

Dennis:

No issue here with the delay, USPS is very busy.
Let me know if you need extra for shipping.

ed