High voltage power supplies, to +10KV...

To come up with a fix for Dennis's spectral gas tubes, I did a deep search into our HV gear, and found a nice little turn-key Spellman 2.5W DC to +10KV power supply. the nice part is that it tracks the input voltage (3-12VDc), so it is easily made variable over most of the range. I just sent off one to Dennis, and have two more if anybody is looking for something similar. It could also serve as a replacement HV supply in a scope, and is not very big. I also have some much larger Bertan HV supplies, new in the factory bags with full install info, they cover the same 10KV voltage range.

If you need anything THIS obscure, please contact me off list. I will add them to the stuff season page later when I have some time to do up photos. https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/stuffday.html

right now I am just finishing up a Tek 2236 to post up there, so might be a few days. I feel I should mention that this scope is NOT a happy adventure when you have to change the bad power switch. holy cow, talk about hard to get at.... and of course the HV shield screws were stripped out, so had to be drilled out. so much suffering for one little switch. on the plus side, ti does work great now.

I am curious to hear opinions on the 2236 data display switching. I did not find the group of multi-tasking push-buttons and three color idents with an additional SHIFT button to be especially intuitive to use to swap around the display function and inputs between the side jacks and channel 1. IMHO, this was not Tek's finest engineering moment, it is simply hard to understand and use. It's nice it can do these things, but I suspect much of this goes unused simply due to awkwardness of use.

all the best,
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/index.html

Walter,

I have a 2236 that I thoroughly enjoy, even though the CTM is a little cumbersome to operate. I like the separate display for the CTM output (I bought the scope entirely because it has a vacuum fluorescent display) rather than cluttering up my main display with readout, and the fact that the multimeter can directly measure the voltage on channel 1, rather than requiring me to use the multimeter leads.

The 2236 was my bench scope until just a few days ago, when I ran into its bandwidth ceiling while debugging a digital timing circuit, and had to switch over to a 2465 DMS. While the DMS has very similar features to the 2236, it won't directly measure voltages on any of the channels (sure, you can use the cursors, but that's a bunch more fiddling), and it clutters up your main display.

The 2465 DMS also uses a shift mode to get at different features of the DMM, with much softer feel switches, and it also has a shifted menu system for the CTM features. Do people complain about the difficulty of the 2465 interface?

-- Jeff Dutky