Topics

Hi all

morriso2002@...

I'm very pleased to have found this group as I am a great lover and
collector of vacuum tube Tek scopes here in Melbourne Australia. My
collection includes examples of the 310A, 502, 524AD, 529, 533A, 535A,
547 (my workhorse bench scope), 549, the enormous 555 scoposaurus, 575
and many plugins including a homebrew spectrum analyzer built into an
old plugin caracass and a Japanese commercial transistor testing
plugin built into a Tek blank. I also have a number of other
manufacturers' scopes as well, and sundry other pieces of Tek
equipment and manuals.

My interests include restoration and using these wonderful machines. I
can remember the first time I saw an oscilloscope and being fascinated
by it at the age of about 10. A few years later I saw my first Tek - a
549 with a 1A4 plugin - and it was a really mind blowing experience
compared to the sorts of scopes experimenters had access to in the
1960s. Now I'm very happy to be able to own some of these
instruments and fully understand their workings.

I hope I will be able to contribute to the discussions here, both in
the way of helping others and learning along the way.

Cheers,

Morris Odell

europachris@...

Welcome aboard, Morris. I'm just a novice collector, and only have one scope (a late 535A, Scopemobile, and a few plugins). But, it's in almost mint condition and I have all the probes, cords, and manuals, even the little mini-manual under the popup hood on the top of the scope. The scope is a joy to use and works perfectly. Truly a tribute to good engineering and design. I like it because it's older than I am and is also the type of stuff that put America in space in the 60's. Think about it. We went to the moon over 30 years ago. Pocket calculators were just a dream. Amazing.

I digress...Enjoy the group and keep warm with your tubes!

Chris Beck
West Bend, Wisconsin.

Michael Dunn <mdunn@...>

At 7:00 AM +0000 2001/4/10, morriso2002@yahoo.com.au wrote:
547 (my workhorse bench scope), 549, the enormous 555 scoposaurus, 575
Do you know how the 555 differs from that other monster, the 556?

and many plugins including a homebrew spectrum analyzer built into an
old plugin caracass and a Japanese commercial transistor testing
Please tell us something about your spectrum analyzer!

by it at the age of about 10. A few years later I saw my first Tek - a
549 with a 1A4 plugin - and it was a really mind blowing experience
At least 2 of us here have 549/1A4 combos! Yes, a nice piece of equipment...

Michael Dunn, listboss :-)

morriso2002@...

--- In TekScopes@y..., Michael Dunn <mdunn@c...> wrote:

547 (my workhorse bench scope), 549, the enormous 555 scoposaurus,
575

Do you know how the 555 differs from that other monster, the
556?

I would love to have a 556. They are both massive double beam machines
but there are quite a few differences. The 556 is in one piece while
the 555 is quite a bit larger and has a separate power supply. The 555
has 4 plugins, 2 vertical and 2 special timebases while the 556 has
built in timebases. The 555 has twin distributed amplifiers and lumped
delay lines while I'm pretty sure the 556 has 549 type vertical amps
with a coaxial line and a pair of 8608s. They're different enough to
make them both desirable but unfortunately not many 556s made it down
here.

and many plugins including a homebrew spectrum analyzer built into
an
old plugin caracass
Please tell us something about your spectrum analyzer!
It's based on the unit described in QST in 1999 by Wes Hayward and
another fellow whose name escapes me. Wes (W7ZOI) has a website with
pictures of various versions including an early shot of mine before I
found an attenuator for it. You can probably find it by doing a
search. It goes up to 80 MHz and has 5 KHz resolution at its best. I
had to design an interface to the Tek plugin specification which works
quite well even if I say so myself.

Morris